Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving English Paper 1.

• 04-10-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hey so I seem to have an unusual problem, I struggle more with paper 1 than paper 2.

- I can NEVER come up with something to write for in the composition, it makes English feel like a foreign language to me!

- I write a lot in my comprehensions but I keep getting low marks, my teacher writes Expression a lot on it. What does she mean by this (I've asked her and she didn't really answer) and how can I improve on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brokk

expression is the way your sentences are phrased and how you express yourself. If u get ur points across clearly and stuff! :) i had the same problem for a while so asked my teacher, she said reading back over the work helps to make sure everything makes sense! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The best way to improve your own writing is by reading other people's writing. Expose yourself to all styles of writing from all eras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Expression means you have phrased your sentence poorly and/or it doesn't make sense.

I also hate English Paper 1. I have no imagination - couldn't think of an essay to save my life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Expression means you have phrased your sentence poorly and/or it doesn't make sense.

I also hate English Paper 1. I have no imagination - couldn't think of an essay to save my life!
    you can write an essay on anything,ANYTHING.Imagine you had no restraints.The way i improved when i was doing my leaving was to write essays on the most trivial,stupid,irrelevant topic imaginable.For example,for my leaving cert i wrote an essay from the eyes of an orange on it's journey from farm (orchard?,wherever oranges come from) to supermarket.What a journey :P

Advertisement