Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a golden retriever puppy

• 04-10-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

looking to buy a golden retriever female puppy..... anyone in galway or surroundings who has a litter ikc reg etc at a reasonable price? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could try sites like donedeal etc but start by checking dog pounds
    <snip> and <snip> both have dogs that you migt be interested in.

Mod Note: Please note we cannot allow links to individual rescue groups on this forum due to previous threats of litigation. If anyone wants to alert the OP to the availability of Golden Retrievers available in rescues, please do so by PM.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lorrii

cheers ....am on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please dont go to donedeal!! Contact the IKC for registered breeders that health test. Ensure the breeder you go to carries out Hip Scoring, this is an absolute must when purchasing a Retriever puppy. Make sure both parents are hip scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Dundalk, IKC registered. Pm details.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi OP please if you are gettting a puppy stay clear of Done Deal. There is a great sticky on the forum about the dangers of puppy farming and the likely hood that these poor pups will be sold on a medium like Done Deal. Contact the IKC to find out if there is a breeder near you and perhaps visit some local rescues as you might find an older golden retriever puppy in need of a loving home. Best of luck with your search!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Please be VERY VERY careful with Buying a goldie.
    Firstly they can be very prone to Hip Dysplasia so both parents should be at least hip scored.
    Genetic problems seem to be on the rise in this particular breed due to being too closely related together.. Being IKC Registered means nothing.

thanks for all that .... i will be lookin for a good hip score . so the price goes up from 300 to a massive 600 odd when this is taken into consideration ..... holy crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Its worth the money though, it should save on expensive medicines and possibly surgery that a dog with awful hips, arthritis or dysplasia would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

lorrii wrote: »
    thanks for all that .... i will be lookin for a good hip score . so the price goes up from 300 to a massive 600 odd when this is taken into consideration ..... holy crap

Please dont cut corners when buying a pedigree pup, you or more so the dog will pay for it in the long run, trust me!!!

Make sure you ask to see the certs of the hip scores from the breeder, dont just take for granted they are done, you need to see them.

There is a reason pups are much cheaper when health tests arent done and its not a good reason, you get what you pay for!!

makes sense dude ... i want a healthy happy dog ;) money money money eh

• Advertisement

thank you ... really helped me as i was between two minds .. no am glad to spend the extra now... just need to earn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hip replacements will cost you around €2k a hip and aren't always covered by insurance. My GR has/had angular limb deformity and had to get his back legs surgically straightened - operations and crate rest are no fun. He carries tension in his back and hind legs which can make him jumpy/frightened of loud noises - we do physio at home up help with this. He/we had some bad experiences with crappy vets which has made him fear agressive to vets he's not used to sometimes.

You'll have people telling you that they got their dog online and it's healthy but a lot of people don't spot the subtle cues that something is wrong with their dog so don't take that as gospel! From my very basic knowledge/experience I can spot a dog with hip/muscle problems and I've pointed it out to people a few times without them having ever noticed that their dog is carrying tension in their back/is lame/ has wobbly crucites etc

Spend the extra few hundred euro and buy a pup that has the best chance possible of being healthy.

i will ,thanks... found a woman n claregalway .westlow. seems good . thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i will ,thanks... found a woman n claregalway .westlow. seems good . thanks everyone
    Don't forget to post pics! :). I want a puppy :(

Advertisement