Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dubs who have never been out of Dublin.

• 04-10-2012 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Met a dub today in Westport who claims to have left Dublin on the train for a visit for the first time..great..but.. unusual? I know most people outside the pale have visited Dublin at some stage, but I found this most unusual. Guy was in his 30's. Anyone out there who have never left their home town or city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hiram wrote: »
    Met a dub today in Westport who claims to have left Dublin on the train for a visit for the first time..great..but.. unusual? I know most people outside the pale have visited Dublin at some stage, but I found this most unusual. Guy was in his 30's. Anyone out there who have never left their home town or city?

Suppose people in Dublin have everything they need there. Why leave unless they are going on holiday.

AH Answer.

Thinly veiled Culchie v Dublin thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He wanted to see how the other half lived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

They dont let me out of jail long enough for trips to the country :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I was talking to a girl a while ago who went up to donegal for the weekend (first time out of dub) but had to go home after the first night as she missed her mother :pac:

I couldn't hide the look I gave her, no matter how much I tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive been in every county exept mayo and the neighbour in terenure is a witch from mayo. maybe my guardian angel is stopping me from going there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

sssh don't let them know they can leave

ive been in every county exept mayo and the neighbour in terenure is a witch from mayo. maybe my guardian angel is stopping me from going there

I've been as far as Fairyhouse, but I've never been to Meath:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

One of the guys in work told me about his girlfriend's granny - in her 80s and lives in Cabra.
    Only been on the Southside a few times in her life and never even set foot on Grafton Street.
    "Sure why would I want to go there? They're different there....."
    Has only been on holidays once - Knock!
    Will occasionally go to Lucan to the family at Christmas but thinks it's out in the Sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

For years we've kept them in their ghetto with fake stories of bogs, mucksavages and tractors, and you have to blab that it might be worth coming to the country. We'll never get rid of them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

We have to keep some folk behind at all times in case you culchies make changes

We all went to Rome for Italia 90 and you took over Flannerys

USA 94 we lost Rody Bolands

The Battle for Coppers continues

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    I've been as far as Fairyhouse, but I've never been to Meath:)

coo ee

Ders more to Oireland Dan Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Plenty of people I know have not been out of NI, except holidays abroad. I have been in Antrim, Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Fermangah, Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Dublin, Letrim and a few others but never had a reason to head further south. My cousins have never been out of Dublin either. They have all they want in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sure I've been asked for directions in the middle of Dublin about how to get to O'Connell Bridge - from people with big thick Dublin accents on them. Some of them don't even venture outside of their own area let alone their own city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Some people are just like that. I'm surprised at younger people mentioned in this thread though. It wouldn't surprise me too much that people from the older generations don't leave Dublin. Back in the day there wouldn't have been money for stuff like that.

The husband (from Tallaght) told me that when he was a kid his parents took him and his numerous siblings for a 2 night holiday to Jury's Ballsbridge! Only holiday they ever had as kids until his oldest brother got married in Cork so they all went to Cork for a few days (husband was around 13/14) but that was it til he could afford to pay for his own holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

A friend of mine from Malahide had to go to Waterford for a work event. Before she went she asked a mutual friend from Waterford 'do they accept €50 notes there?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

My brother knew a lad years ago who was from Dublin, and was always laughing and jeering non Dublin people about being Culchies and muck savages and having no running water in their houses. So anyway, some relation or mutual friend was getting married in Wexford. Yer man got an invite anyway, he was going on about having to get wellies, and learn how to drive a tractor. He had never been outside of Dublin before, he was late 20s or so. My brother was up in Dublin one night before the wedding and was out for a few pints with yer man and some other people. Yer man was still doing the Culchies and muck savages thing anyway. My brother says to him, straight faced and deadly serious, "don't forget your passport now for when you're coming down to Wexford". Yer man shut up fairly quick, and said that he'd have to get his renewed as it was out of date. He then proceeded to ask people how long it took to get the passport back as it was only a few weeks til the wedding.
    The idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am from Dublin and i have traveled most of the country and i loved every county so far but in nearly every town i have been to i have been chastised for being a dubliner. i have been beaten to a point where i needed to go to hospital because of it. i have been called names and treated like an outsider. all because i am from dublin.
    i don't blame people for not leaving dublin because sadly it is the rest of the country Vs dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dubs never leave Dublin?
    I'm all for it

On topic, I met a woman from Mayo once that had never been anywhere, except once to Dub in her youth. Mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

iDave wrote: »
    A friend of mine from Malahide had to to Waterford for a work event. Before she went she asked a mutual friend from Waterford 'do they accept €50 notes there?'.

Had something like that myself in college but it was a girl from Cork. She asked did we use Euro or Sterling in my county. I'm from Roscommon. Priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

We have to keep some folk behind at all times in case you culchies make changes

We all went to Rome for Italia 90 and you took over Flannerys

USA 94 we lost Rody Bolands

The Battle for Coppers continues

Rosy bolands is rightfully ours anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am from Dublin and i have traveled most of the country and i loved every county so far but in nearly every town i have been to i have been chastised for being a dubliner. i have been beaten to a point where i needed to go to hospital because of it. i have been called names and treated like an outsider. all because i am from dublin.
    i don't blame people for not leaving dublin because sadly it is the rest of the country Vs dublin.

You sure it's because you are from Dublin? Could it be you who's wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

There's an old couple where i live that are proud that they have "never left the parish" other than for their honeymoon of 3 days in Killarney in 1958.

They've never even been to Ennis, which is ten miles away.

Know a young bloke there, about 26, who is thinking of going to Australia despite having never ever left Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

For some reason loads of Dubs are now visiting Castlerea, Co Roscommon.

You sure it's because you are from Dublin? Could it be you who's wrong?

you're right. it could be me. but i go out in dublin on a very regular basis and have never gotten into a fight or even a heated argument. i have lived in both kildare and waterford just incase you think i am one of these dubs that hate the country. i love the country. only the other week me and a few of my colleagues were called a 'bunch of dublin scumbags' because we closed the bar by a visiting galwegian.

edit: i also understand that non dubliners will get abuse coming to dublin by the not-so-nice scumbags living in this county.

Rosy bolands is rightfully ours anyway!

Yep all the way from Nenagh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Cedrus wrote: »
    For years we've kept them in their ghetto with fake stories of bogs, mucksavages and tractors, and you have to blab that it might be worth coming to the country. We'll never get rid of them now!

What do you mean fake stories??????;).... i always love going to the country and seeing how they wear the clothes that where in fashion in Dublin 4 years ago:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

For some reason loads of Dubs are now visiting Castlerea, Co Roscommon.
    Only now?

http://www.irishprisons.ie/index.php/joomlaorg/castlerea-prison

Cedrus wrote: »

What do you mean fake stories??????;).... i always love going to the country and seeing how they wear the clothes that where in fashion in Dublin 4 years ago:D:D:D:D:D:D

You know what clothes people were wearing 4 years ago?

I couldn't tell you what people I work with were wearing yesterday.

• Advertisement

you're right. it could be me. but i go out in dublin on a very regular basis and have never gotten into a fight or even a heated argument. i have lived in both kildare and waterford just incase you think i am one of these dubs that hate the country. i love the country. only the other week me and a few of my colleagues were called a 'bunch of dublin scumbags' because we closed the bar by a visiting galwegian.

edit: i also understand that non dubliners will get abuse coming to dublin by the not-so-nice scumbags living in this county.

I was in Dublin the last five days and have nothing bad to say about it. I have never seen anyone get hassle just because they are from Dublin tbh.

Pyjamas?

Now I'm off to listen to some 80's pop music we got here last week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

True, there's been a seismic shift in Dublin fashion.
    How can the poor country girls possibly know whether to put on pajamas, tracksuit or leggings and muffin top when they're running out for fags first thing in the afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So country folk have this "fashion" to look forward to in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Ders more to Oireland Dan Dublin?

I assume you mean DUBLAND . . .

in any county ive been i have gotten a bit of slagging for being from dublin but that's all it was, its light hearted and i went along with it. even down in kerry a few weeks ago i got on very well with the regulars in a pub in ardfert. they treated me and my wife like locals even though we got a gentle slagging about being dubs
    we laughed, they laughed and everyone got on grand.

i would imagine you are either going to the wrong places when in the country or you bring trouble on yourself

• Advertisement

FatherLen - where you wearing a tracksuit/pyjamas and sovereign rings? :pac:

ha no i would understand/deserve the abuse if i was but as usual i was wearing jeans, t-shirt and probably cons/dc's/boots

and a sports cap at a 45 degree angle

ha no i would understand/deserve the abuse if i was but as usual i was wearing jeans, t-shirt and probably cons/dc's/boots

The might have thought you were from the future;):D

No but i wouldn't say the Cassock warmed him to the youth either.:pac:

• Advertisement

i think you've been telling a few tall tales

ive never heard of anyone being beaten up just for being from Dublin

i think you've been telling a few tall tales

ive never heard of anyone being beaten up just for being from Dublin

i wish i was but unfortunately i'm not.

this being the internet, whether you believe me or not is up to you.

i wish i was but unfortunately i'm not.

this being the internet, whether you believe me or not is up to you.

The fact you have hassle in every town kinda makes it seem like you bring it on yourself, maybe you are trying to be funny with the country jokes and its not working.
    Do you try tell jokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Being a Dub exiled in Galway. I don't get much hassle because Galway is a cool town open to all sorts. But it is fact that Dubliners do get grief for being from Dublin. I've seen it myself and it's not because the Dubliners were out for trouble. There is a strong anti Dublin element amongst many people. It's very common for people to tell you straight to your face how much they hate Dublin. Which I consider very rude because I for one wouldn't go somewhere and tell people their boring, scruffy boring little town is a s***hole.

As for not leaving Dublin, yes well many people don't bother. But that's true of many counties in Ireland. I don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned Cork. Most of them only venture as a far as Kerry. It's actually more common than many people realise. Many people would never even venture to Dublin if it wasn't for the likes of the Airport, concerts, Croke Park etc.

We all love to think how cosmopolitan and well travelled we are these days. Not everyone is like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Why would you leave Dublin so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

And there you have nailed it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

bluecode wrote: »
    Being a Dub exiled in Galway. I don't get much hassle because Galway is a cool town open to all sorts. But it is fact that Dubliners do get grief for being from Dublin. I've seen it myself and it's not because the Dubliners were out for trouble. There is a strong anti Dublin element amongst many people. It's very common for people to tell you straight to your face how much they hate Dublin. Which I consider very rude because I for one wouldn't go somewhere and tell people their boring, scruffy boring little town is a s***hole.

As for not leaving Dublin, yes well many people don't bother. But that's true of many counties in Ireland. I don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned Cork. Most of them only venture as a far as Kerry. It's actually more common than many people realise. Many people would never even venture to Dublin if it wasn't for the likes of the Airport, concerts, Croke Park etc.

We all love to think how cosmopolitan and well travelled we are these days. Not everyone is like that.

Ah don't start the Cork basking sheite again.

I'm from Cork but live and work in Dublin, I love living in dublin its great and gives me more employment opportunities then in Cork. I also love going home to cork for visits.
    There were 115 people in my final year class in College in UCC and of that only about 10 people are in cork, the rest are in Dublin, London or emigrated to Canada/Austrailia.

I think if you like travel then do if you like staying in your local then do that. each to their own.

I my time out of college, I've been lucky enough to live and work in Abu-Dhabi, Luxembourg, Zurich, Edinburgh and now back in Dublin.
    I love travel, but there are friends of mine who still live in Cork and don't like to travel they are still cool people.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There are people like this all over the country who have never left their own county. We took our nephew to Euro Disney once and even Shannon aiport, 20kms from his house, was the furthest he had ever been. :rolleyes:

I leave the county every single day as a Rep and I meet people who might not leave the county for one year to the next and the actually ask me "pick me up xx in galway" or whatever. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I once had a meeting with some lads from Limerick. The secretary who was arranging it had never been out of Dublin, and as it turned out had a pretty shaky grasp of geography beyond the Pale. Her idea of "half way between the two" was Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

hiram wrote: »
    Met a dub today in Westport who claims to have left Dublin on the train for a visit for the first time..great..but.. unusual? I know most people outside the pale have visited Dublin at some stage, but I found this most unusual. Guy was in his 30's.

Did he say that he played football for Dublin? :D

* Only joking!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement