Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dubs who have never been out of Dublin.

Comments

I once had a meeting with some lads from Limerick. .

Did they have a horse outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Ah heere, leavrr it ou!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Boombastic wrote: »
    I've been as far as Fairyhouse, but I've never been to Meath:)

lol

I've been to Paradise but I've never been to me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

lol

I've been to Paradise but I've never been to me. :D

Ah here leave itra out, that's the culchie version;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a city thing, you'll find the ame in London, Birmingham or Seattle.

There's plenty of people in my town that have never left and never will now that I changed the ropes in the dungeon to chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Londoners are particularly blinkered and ignorant as regards this type of thing, some of them think Coventry is in the North of England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

On the other side of the coin you have Dubs who couldn’t get out of it quick enough. Now living in soulless housing estates in Meath, Kildare and Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

dd972 wrote: »
    Londoners are particularly blinkered and ignorant as regards this type of thing, some of them think Coventry is in the North of England

Most have actually left London though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I was talking to a girl a while ago who went up to donegal for the weekend (first time out of dub) but had to go home after the first night as she missed her mother :pac:

I couldn't hide the look I gave her, no matter how much I tried

This reminds me of something I heard discussed on the radio years back regarding city dwellers presuming themselves to be more worldly wise than their small town counterparts. The gist of it was that the opposite is generally true. A city dweller can go to college, get a job etc without ever leaving Mammy whilst someone from 'up the country' is more likely to have to move out for work and definitely so for college.
    In my own circumstance i have lived in 6 different Dublin addresses, in Galway, london and three small irish towns and move away from Mammy at 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

My misses is a teacher in London in Vaxuhall which is where MI5 is based right by the river not a great area or school, She bought a group of 7 year olds to the science museum and when they were crossing the Thames a few pipped up whats that Miss?? Little did the knew they lived less than a mile from the Thames. Shocking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

afatbollix wrote: »
    My misses is a teacher in London in Vaxuhall which is where MI5 is based right by the river not a great area or school, She bought a group of 7 year olds to the science museum and when they were crossing the Thames a few pipped up whats that Miss?? Little did the knew they lived less than a mile from the Thames. Shocking.

They were only 7, I grew up in Clondalkin and thought Goffs was just around the corner at that age. I didn't even know about Lucan or Newcastle, which are closer.

This reminds me of something I heard discussed on the radio years back regarding city dwellers presuming themselves to be more worldly wise than their small town counterparts. The gist of it was that the opposite is generally true. A city dweller can go to college, get a job etc without ever leaving Mammy whilst someone from 'up the country' is more likely to have to move out for work and definitely so for college.
    In my own circumstance i have lived in 6 different Dublin addresses, in Galway, london and three small irish towns and move away from Mammy at 19
    It could have been argued decades ago that rural folk didn't get the same interaction with culture that city folk had but these days with the internet and TV dominating culture it's more of a level playing field with culchies probably taking in more culture or even going out of their way to experience culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've never met a Dub who hasn't left Dublin, though I have no doubt they exist. I have met some non-Dubs who have never left their county, though I'm sure they're in the minority.

I have to agree with those saying there is a strong anti-Dublin vibe among many in this country.

In my experience, many supposedly well brought up and well educated people from outside Dublin seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to go on about how they hate Dublin, what a kip it is, how full of scum it is etc, when they hear where you are from. I would never dream of insulting another person's home with an irrelevant uninvited rant. It's bad manners pure and simple. I have of course come across the opposite in Dublin a few times, but it was invariably skangers dishing it out, so you wouldn't expect any different from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Back in the doss transition year we had a visit from a group of teens from Sheriff Street who had never been outside Dublin

On their way up to Galway they spotted some sheep in a field.

One of the group asked us "how do you get the fur off the sheeps"?

Not that any of us had a clue either.

A month later we made a return visit to meet them.

One of our lads asked them "Why do you lot always walk out of courthouses with jackets over your heads"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I was talking to a girl a while ago who went up to donegal for the weekend (first time out of dub) but had to go home after the first night as she missed her mother :pac:

I couldn't hide the look I gave her, no matter how much I tried

yea yea - likely story , sound like she wanted out of dodge pronto

did ya not change the jocks for the first big date :D

• Advertisement

dj jarvis wrote: »
    yea yea - likely story , sound like she wanted out of dodge pronto

did ya not change the jocks for the first big date :D

I wasn't with her on the big trip, just talking to her afterwards. Her partner was with her. This girl was in her late 30's:D

thats bollix

christ, any students that were living in rathmines area i knew years ago,would load up the car to go to the bog with the dirty washing and a load of tupperware box's to collect the food for the week , and sure dubs do it also,
    but to insinuate just becasue you are away from home that you can look after yourself better is just pox

I wasn't with her on the big trip, just talking to her afterwards. Her partner was with her. This girl was in her late 30's:D

hairy muff - i have met family's that are like super glue , kind of un settling really

a buddy told me of a guy from north dublin inner city and he forbid his wife and kids to go south side :eek:

i dont think it has much to do with country v dublin , just weirdos v non weirdos

thats bollix

christ, any students that were living in rathmines area i knew years ago,would load up the car to go to the bog with the dirty washing and a load of tupperware box's to collect the food for the week , and sure dubs do it also,
    but to insinuate just becasue you are away from home that you can look after yourself better is just pox
    Are you refering to me or to the radio discussion I am referencing in this wild wilful misreading of my post???
    College was only part of what was discussed on THE RADIO PROGRAMME. It also mentioned work and simple things like having to travel to a city for particular things such as concerts, hospital treatments etc.
    But let just cut to the student years. Yes many students living away from home will travel home and bring laundry etc but they are still living away from home, paying bills and starting down the road to self sufficiency.

Im not remotely interested in this stupid rural urban divide when we have a capital city not much bigger than many UK towns so if you think your reference to anywhere outside of Irelands big town as 'the bog' will annoy me think again

In my experience, many supposedly well brought up and well educated people from outside Dublin seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to go on about how they hate Dublin, what a kip it is, how full of scum it is etc,
    To be fair it's the Dubs themselves that help promote that image. How many threads have we had on here that go on about how the centre of Dublin is full of junkies?

• Advertisement

Are you refering to me or to the radio discussion I am referencing in this wild wilful misreading of my post???

cool story bro !!

no, my not very eloquent point was that dubs also move away from mammy and dont rely on them - not just a thing cousin f2ukers do :D

me i was 17 - got my first flat and never looked back , you post insinuated that dubs were less likely to do what you done , but this is just not true

it down to the type of person not the area they come from

as i said in my original post - supposin ya jst dnt speaky da dub lik !!

ScumLord wrote: »
    To be fair it's the Dubs themselves that help promote that image. How many threads have we had on here that go on about how the centre of Dublin is full of junkies?

but it is - should we lie ?
    but so is cork , limerick even arklow has a really bad heroin problem, with used needles being littered on the main st

its just poeple love dub bashing - dont understand it myself - i have NEVER judged someone from the location of where they come from , that would be small minded and retarded

That is irrelevant. How many times have I heard residents of Limerick complain about areas of that city being full of scumbags? Hundreds of times, but it is bad manners pure and simple to insult people's homes with an irrelevant tirade.

That is irrelevant. How many times have I heard residents of Limerick complain about areas of that city being full of scumbags? Hundreds of times, but it is bad manners pure and simple to insult people's homes with an irrelevant tirade.
    As I don't spend much time in these areas I tend to take the locals at their word, I think it would be the height of bad manners to contradict them when I wouldn't know the area like they do.

cool story bro !!

no, my not very eloquent point was that dubs also move away from mammy and dont rely on them - not just a thing cousin f2ukers do :D

me i was 17 - got my first flat and never looked back , you post insinuated that dubs were less likely to do what you done , but this is just not true

My post spoke of a radio discussion . Other than that i dont have a clue what you are trying to say.

As I don't spend much time in these areas I tend to take the locals at their word, I think it would be the height of bad manners to contradict them when I wouldn't know the area like they do.

Discussing the issue with people already engaged in a conversation about the topic is one thing, insulting Dublin when somebody simply says they're from Dublin, or you notice their accent, is ill mannered and classless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I once met a man from Tipperary who's never even been to Rockall :eek:

^^^^ that

now read it all back and the penny should drop

you were implying that city dwellers are less likely to leave mammy than country folk , well as i said the first time - bollix

any clearer now ?

Discussing the issue with people already engaged in a conversation about the topic is one thing, insulting Dublin when somebody simply says they're from Dublin, or you notice their accent, is ill mannered and classless.
    I don't remember doing any of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I once met a man from Tipperary who's never even been to Rockall :eek:

i wouldnt go there either. it would be a long oul swim

• Advertisement

^^^^ that

now read it all back and the penny should drop

you were implying that city dwellers are less likely to leave mammy than country folk , well as i said the first time - bollix

any clearer now ?
    I have no idea why you are getting so aggressive and confrontational but I am amused by it and your quaint grasp of language.
    I used the line 'a city dweller 'CAN' attend college and work without leaving home'
    The RADIO PROGRAMME did not say all . It was discussing an alternative flip side to a perception that city (There are other cities) dwellers are more worldly.
    Lets take 100 student accepted to UCG from Ballina and 100 from Galway. I reckon more of those from Galway will opt to live at home than from ballina.
    Now relax big town man;)

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Sure there's dubs who have never even been out of the city centre, the ones who are particularly liable to swipe your phone....

or cap even

I don't remember doing any of those things.

I'm speaking in general, and I'm a little confused about what you're trying to discuss with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

OSI wrote: »
    Horse ****.
    They were only 7, I grew up in Clondalkin and thought Goffs was just around the corner at that age. I didn't even know about Lucan or Newcastle, which are closer.

Its true, Some had never been on a tube as there mother's only has a bus pass!

(Its not a free travel pass like Ireland they just get a bus pass)

I'm speaking in general, and I'm a little confused about what you're trying to discuss with me.
    Just having a friendly chat, us country folk are like that, hows the family?

Most people are like that, so chat away.

I'm simply confused about what you're saying in reply to my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Expanding,How's about yourself?
    I don't think country people are as friendly as before, times have changed.

I have no idea why you are getting so aggressive and confrontational but I am amused by it and your quaint grasp of language.
    I used the line 'a city dweller 'CAN' attend college and work without leaving home'
    The RADIO PROGRAMME did not say all . It was discussing an alternative flip side to a perception that city (There are other cities) dwellers are more worldly.
    Lets take 100 student accepted to UCG from Ballina and 100 from Galway. I reckon more of those from Galway will opt to live at home than from ballina.
    Now relax big town man;)

you obviously don't understand what aggression is wee man ,

you spoke of this radio slot , and that city dweller CAN stay at home while attending uni , but that's assuming city dwellers go to a uni IN the city they come from , dubs can go to 3rd level all over the country and abroad , its not just you **** swilling cousin ridin gee bags that have to leave the hovel to attend 3rd level - so ergo makes your point pointless

and a quaint grasp of the language ? oh a condescending grammar Nazi - i say the ladies love you - suppose they have to seeing they are related to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MJ23 wrote: »
    My brother knew a lad years ago who was from Dublin

Ah, my brother knew this fella who had a sister... blah blah Pub talk. (bullsheet)

I'm a Dub, I have never met a Dub that hasn't been out of Dublin, and I'd say Ive seen more of some counties than natives have. Like most Dubs, I'd holiday a good bit around the country, I'm also surprised at the negative attitude displayed by people when it comes to Dublin, me and my family when knocking around the country... like this.
    biko wrote: »
    Dubs never leave Dublin? I'm all for it

I have seen places in Galway that Biko doesn't know exists!

I don't understand it? Why would you not like people visiting your county? I have had neighbours from all over the place and got on fine with them.

I watched an Ireland rugby match in Clare once and was called a Dublin scumbag for admitting a Scottish try was a good try to the girl I was with! Some bloke butted in on our conversation to get the dig in!

I guess it's down to ignorance. It's a shame though.

• Advertisement

you spoke of this radio slot , and that city dweller CAN stay at home while attending uni , but that's assuming city dwellers go to a uni IN the city they come from , dubs can go to 3rd level all over the country and abroad , its not just you **** swilling cousin ridin gee bags that have to leave the hovel to attend 3rd level - so ergo makes your point pointless

and a quaint grasp of the language ? oh a condescending grammar Nazi - i say the ladies love you - suppose they have to seeing they are related to ya

Ouch !! bet that post made you feel better. Your post tells everyone you don't like anyone outside the pale tbh.

Actually Im from Bristol but they possibly ride their cousins there as well.
    Can i expect a xenophobic reply?

i wouldnt go there either. it would be a long oul swim

and the seagulls are they friendliest I believe, pluck the eye out of your head:p

Ouch !! bet that post made you feel better. Your post tells everyone you don't like anyone outside the pale tbh.

that could be true , but for one thing , i don't live in the pale , have not for 20 odd years, and if you read my earlier post i stated CLEARLY i don't make assumptions on where someone comes from , that would be retarded

see what i done there ?

and seeing there are 3 anti dub threads on the go at the moment , why should i not stand up for the capital city , might be a junkie infested kip , but its mine , and in my opinion its head and shoulders over any other city in Ireland

anyway , i can take a slagging seeing i give it out in equal measure,
    pity some of our country cousins could not do the same

now you all have a good night now

Actually Im from Bristol but they possibly ride their cousins there as well.
    Can i expect a xenophobic reply?

Bristol :eek: , ok i gotta stop now - so many jokes !!! -good luck buster , nice having this " debate " with ya

*** gotta clarify - a real good mate went to uni in bristol and has some killer story's and jokes about the place - not for one minute getting at the town or anyone from it ***

that could be true , but for one thing , i don't live in the pale , have not for 20 odd years, and if you read my earlier post i stated CLEARLY i don't make assumptions on where someone comes from , that would be retarded

see what i done there ?

and seeing there are 3 anti dub threads on the go at the moment , why should i not stand up for the capital city , might be a junkie infested kip , but its mine , and in my opinion its head and shoulders over any other city in Ireland

You are right to stand up for your city I would do the same but no one was slagging Dublin. You were the one who brought down the tone of the thread.

• Advertisement

cool story bro !!

that could be true , but for one thing , i don't live in the pale , have not for 20 odd years, and if you read my earlier post see what i done there ?

i stated CLEARLY i don't make assumptions on where someone comes from , that would be retarded

DOES THIS MAKE YOU RETARDED?

i stated CLEARLY i don't make assumptions on where someone comes from , that would be retarded

DOES THIS MAKE YOU RETARDED?

no - there is a big difference in having banter with someone about the area they come from and getting the **** kicked out of you becasue of the same

this is the assumption i don't make - do i make Kerry jokes ? sure i do
    would i not help or talk to someone from Kerry just becasue they are from Kerry ?
    not on your life - if you cant understand the difference then that sadly is your problem

as for lowering the tone as one poster put it , well you might let some one belittle your posts by being condescending , me i don't

i will only post a certain way when provoked - so don't provoke in the first place and sure we will all be grand .

other posters were talking of violence and aggression to people becasue of their accent , that is what i mean as retarded - not cousin ****er jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

no - there is a big difference in having banter with someone about the area they come from and getting the **** kicked out of you becasue of the same

would i not help or talk to someone from Kerry just becasue they are from Kerry ?
    not on your life - if you cant understand the difference then that sadly is your problem

as for lowering the tone as one poster put it , well you might let some one belittle your posts by being condescending , me i don't

i will only post a certain way when provoked - so don't provoke in the first place and sure we will all be grand .

other posters were talking of violence and aggression to people becasue of their accent , that is what i mean as retarded - not cousin ****er jokes
    Fair play to you for standing up for your city, you're dead right but I honestly don't think people were slagging Dublin here.

Some country people are ignorant fcuktards that slag Dublin people for their accent and such like but the majority have gotten past all that shiit and don't.

Every county has pricks! Just pass no heed and ignore!

Perhaps these other posters were joking and you took them up wrong also?
    By provoked I take it you mean my referencing a radio discussion which mentioned a scenario where those living away from colleges and work will more than likely need to leave home more than those whos homes are located close to those facilities?
    Ok. So you are behaving like this because of ...... well.
    Give it a rest

Ok daddy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement