Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of League of ireland soccer in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

can't read that report on my phone. Whats the gist of it. By the by, its not too encouraging to see I'm the first reply on here, 11 hours later. This towns soccer supporters need to follow their rugby counterparts and get out and support their local team(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The summary in that report is
    Summary
     View that there should be one National League club in Galway
     The achievements of Mervue United and Salthill Devon / SD Galway in progressing
    to senior level should not be ignored
     Since 2007, the costs of running a club in Galway have varied significantly from a
    high of €1m to €150,000 more recently.
     Strong support for a Connaught Senior League
     Old model will not work - Need for strong, widespread community support
     Need for promotion / relegation in any new structure - to maintain standards, create
    competition etc.

Key paragraph for me
    It was felt that a single Galway club, playing under a Galway brand, would have a better chance of winning countywide support as well as city support. It was also felt that a single Galway club would have a realistic aspiration to compete successfully at domestic level and ultimately at European level.

It also recognises the good work that both Salthill and Mervue have done at underage and up.

It doesn't really give much away. It doesn't outline a plan for the future as such. We could be a while waiting for that!

Advertisement