Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re making up bottles?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

This is our current routine:

Sterilise the bottles in a microwave steriliser. Put the required amount of boiled water(30 mins old) in the bottles and leave them out.

We are not storing the bottles in the fridge. Add the powder when needed at feeding time.

Is this ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

THAT IS what I did for my 2kids. (used electric steriliser not microwave). I boiled water for day-time in morning, and did a second batch for night in the evening, as I did not want water to be more than 12hrs old. I just emptied and rinsed and resterilised bottles that I felt were too old

However my friend due a baby in next two weeks and the current advice being given out is that you boil the water only as you need it, so sterilise, close, boil water 30mins or so before feed is due , put into bottle , allow to cool more then add formula.

Personally if I had another child I would do bottles for day in morning, and night in evening as I described above. Just my take on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I did this when we went onto bottles and never had an issue

However the reason why you add formula to boiling (meant to say boiled water that has cooled down) water and let it cool is to sterlise the formula as this is not sterile and may cause illness to baby

So you do what you feel is best for you and your family, and if what you are doing is then continue with that but only you know what is right

Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

just to clarify formula should be added to water that has been left to cool for 30mins after boiling. (approx 70 degrees). Adding formula to boiling water would significantly reduce the nutritional value of the formula.
    Water that is warmer than 60degrees should be enough to significantly reduce any bacteria present in formula, without removing nutrients.
    Powdered baby formula is not sterile by nature but the level of bacteria should be very low and no pathogens should be present

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

http://infantnutritioncouncil.com/safe-prep-and-handling/
    this link describes the current guidelines being given by mat hospitals at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Current advice is to add powder to the warm water to sterlise the formula. Milk powder is not required to be sterile.

Some formula also dissolves better in warmer water. We found SMA clumped in cold water and gave the baby tummy pains.

We used to stick on the kettle, then do the washing and sterlising. By the time the steriliser was done, kettle had cooled enough. Make up the bottles and run under a cold tap for immediate drinking. Stick the rest in the fridge and either give them to her cold, or warm them under a warm tap for a minute. We made six bottles at a time that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Eek a bottle making thread...these usually cause such confusion :D

Some people say put the formula in after 30 mins to sterilise the formula. We were told not to put the formula in until the last minute, so the unsterilised formula doesn't infect the water.

If you're not going to go by the instructions on the box (we didn't either BTW) then ask your phn and gp what the best way to do it is. Because so many people have so many ways and reasons for doing it their way your head will be melted by the time you figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

This is our current routine:

Sterilise the bottles in a microwave steriliser. Put the required amount of boiled water(30 mins old) in the bottles and leave them out.

We are not storing the bottles in the fridge. Add the powder when needed at feeding time.

Is this ok?

This is the way I have been doing for my little girl who is 10 months old and I haven't experienced any problems. I generally reheat the water a little bit before adding the formula as my little one prefers it a little warmer than room temperature.

Whichever way you chose to do it there will always be someone who disagrees and thinks another way is better. Any baby I have seen seems to thrive whichever way their bottle is prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

We are down to 3 bottles a day now. Around 2pm I sterilise the 3 bottles, so I have 2 for the rest of the day, and 1 for the next morning,and boil the water. She takes 7oz bottles, so I fill each bottle to 4oz or so, and leave to cool. Top up to 7oz with freshly boiled water, when the bottle is required. This was a tip given to me, it's so handy as the bottle is at the correct temp, no warming required.
    When my 19 yr old was a baby, you just made up the bottles and stored them in the fridge. It never harmed her. I dunno, I think there's too much fuss about it these days. Once you're careful with you're hygiene you're OK. I won't use water more than 24hrs sitting on the counter in the jug though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby's_bottle_feed.pdf

Here's a link to the HSE brochure in a PDF format which is the guidelines you'll get from the PHN and is also what was covered in the ante-natal classes I attended in the hospital. (It deals with the refrigeration aspect too) The instructions on the formula usually say the 30 mins/70 degrees which is for reasons of sterilising the milk.

As was said earlier the milk powder itself isn't sterile, so that's the risk you are taking in adding the formula to cool water, the bottle and water may be sterile but the milk you make and feed the baby won't be. It doesn't mean your baby WILL be sick, but it does mean you are taking a chance. Its up to you really if you feel that risk is acceptable enough to use a method that is outside of the health care and milk manufacturers guidelines.

Like most aspects of parenting its a matter of informing yourself on the pros/cons and trying to find what's best for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

My baby is on Enfamil AR formula. Has to made with cold water. So that kind of knocks the whole having to use hot water because the formula is not sterile in my eyes.
    I boil water, make up a few bottles of water. Then when I need the bottle add the formula (bottle needs to be rolled instead of shaken). Warm to room temp then.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 27 Scruffy Sandra

What a load of kerfuffle.

Just breastfeed your child and give them the best.

None of this artificial, feeding them ****e rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What a lovely human being, insulting and swearing at people with newborns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

pwurple wrote: »

Eh? People with newborns are excluded from the swear list? She does make a very good point, which you ignored just to be prudish. This sterilisation business is ridiculous. Name me one WHO document that recommends that a mother's nipple must be sterilised before feeding the baby. I don't get why babies are weaned off breast feeding so early. The reason I mention this is that mothers have a convenient source of milk, portable, sterilised and at the correct temperature, yet after a month or two they ignore it. Yes, you can't breast feed all the time of course, but it's usually much more convenient then faffing around with sterilisers and boiling water. Breast milk can be stored and made up in advance to be put in bottles too. Oh yes, and it's a lot cheaper and far more convenient. Finally, we all know that formula milk tastes absolutely foul, and most parents know that breast milk tastes a lot better.

Sometimes its not possible to breastfeed, there are latching problems, tongue tie problems or baby is too premature. In other instances maybe the mother has been through a traumatic birth and doesn't want medical staff pouncing on her any further. In the animal world if humans don't intervene, these babies wouldn't survive, so we're lucky to have an alternative.

Of course a lot of times parents make a decision on how they're going to feed their babies, and that choice is no one else's business. These babies are just as healthy, well nourished and cared for as any other.

Confab wrote: »
    pwurple wrote: »

Eh? People with newborns are excluded from the swear list? She does make a very good point, which you ignored just to be prudish. This sterilisation business is ridiculous. Name me one WHO document that recommends that a mother's nipple must be sterilised before feeding the baby. I don't get why babies are weaned off breast feeding so early (two months in the case of my niece). The reason I mention this is that mothers have a convenient source of milk, portable, sterilised and at the correct temperature, yet after a month or two they ignore it. Yes, you can't breast feed all the time of course, but it's usually much more convenient then faffing around with sterilisers and boiling water.

No people with newborns aren't excluded from swearing, but different forums have different ways. After hours is pretty much a free for all, personal issues tolerate no unfavourable posting whatsoever and the parenting forums are between the two of these. It's supposed to be a support forum, and the thread was looking for information about how to make bottles and this is bringing it off topic.

So if you want a discussion on breastfeeding start a thread on it, or perhaps have a look at the millions of threads already posted about it. Or perhaps go into the breastfeeding thread at teh top of gte forum and congratulate the ladies on how well they're doing, instead of comings into a thread that has nothing to do with your topic whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well and good if the person is able to breastfeed.....what about those who are unable? Let the baby starve and let's not give them any artificial rubbish that you talk about.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please do not try to drag this thread off topic again.

Others: No more discussion of breast feeding in this thread. It's' about bottle feeding. People will be infracted if they try to take it off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

You can make your own choice to breastfeed, so other mum's can make their own choice to formula feed.
    Hmm....I must go and gatecrash the breast feeding support thread!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Gee_G, no more discussion of breast feeding in this thread, at all.

Advertisement