Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check essays for plagiarism on safe assign

Options
  • 04-10-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Can someone direct me as to how I can check my essay for plagiarism on safe assign in Blackboards ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm doing this from memory so...

When you upload your essay you need to give the system a few hours to process the info. Usually a day at most, but when you go back into the upload section there should be a percentage marked beside the file name. You will always have a % mark even if you have not cheated, because it does not fully recognise references - its up to the marker to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Anyone know out of curiosity what is considered a bad mark in %? Uploaded 2 essays this week, one being 17% and the other 35%. Heard over 30% isn't good, can anyone clarify this for me?

It can vary depending on what you have put up. Some have gone up as high as 60-70. Really depends on how much you have quoted and the sources used. If you have referenced you'll be fine. Half the time the mark comes up because of the references are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

I was told that over 40% is investigated, also that if the essay is over a certain % plagiarized its only marked out of the remaining part of the essay. Is this true?

edgal wrote: »
    I was told that over 40% is investigated, also that if the essay is over a certain % plagiarized its only marked out of the remaining part of the essay. Is this true?

Don't have a clue, but the easy way around it is just don't plagiarize.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

You can see which parts of the assignment were plagiarised, and it'll just say at the end that a lot of them were due to having the same quotes and phrases as other students - understandable if you use the same sources. Even the essay title will be counted as plagiarism. Try keep it under 30% in future, but 35% will probably be fine, especially for first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its entirely up the marker. SafeAssign is far from full proof and is frankly a total waste of space. From my experience it has zero intelligence when it comes to recognising references. It marked an essay of mine at 15% when I had in fact just written a paragraph nearly word-for-word from a website, having never been on that website before. The paragraph was simple English but given the content and association with a University topic, it flagged it.

Advertisement