Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint re banking 365

Options
  • 04-10-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I've jusk been banking online.
    My complaint is that I was unable to access my account unless I agreed to your terms and conditions page. It's late on thursday night and I have been drinking, I haven't a clue if I was asked to agree new terms & conditions or just the regular stuff. In fact I consider anything I agreed null and void as I wasn't fit to agree anything contractual. This isn't the first time that I've seen this screen late on a thursday or friday night. Infact, I've phoned in a complaint previously, which I have not yet had a reply to.
    If you want me to agree terms & conditions why not invite me to drop in, rather than block me from accessing my account outside office hours unless I agree. Or maybe you could add an ask me later option to that page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi 2 stroke,

When we update our Banking 365 facility, the terms and conditions also need to be updated as well. As it's an online banking facility, it is not feasible for all customers to call into their branch so to make it easier for customers, we allow them to read and accept the terms and conditions on Banking 365 before accessing their profile. If you don't agree with the term and conditions, you can not access the service.

You can see the updated terms and conditions here. The part that has been amended is to take into account we now offer customers estatements.

Your feedback has been forwarded to our online banking team regarding this issue.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Linda,

There are over 5,900 words in the Republic of Ireland Terms and Conditions. Can ask the legal department for a short synopsis of the document, which can be easily read and understandable by the average customer.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi Tow,

Our terms and conditions are published in accordance with the requirements of the Consumer Protection Code. We recognise that they are comprehensive, but they are designed to address all aspects of the particular product or service on offer. There is also a contents section at the beginning of the 365 terms and conditions which should assist you in reviewing the sections which are relevant and of interest to you. We do not consider it appropriate to synopsise the terms and conditions as to do so could mean we may omit items of interest and relevance to you. We recommend that you review the terms and conditions in full.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Forcing a customer to agree a 5,900 word agreement at an inconvenient time leads to people clicking the box without reading the document. I suggest boi monitor the length of time clients remain on line before clicking agree, to see if they actually read the full agreement.
    You could provide advance notice that a change in terms & conditions is coming up, so that customers can review changes at a time to suit them. Also you could draw attention to the ammendments or even just ask for agreement to the ammended section with a link to the full terms & conditions.
    I was in branch today accessing a different account, I'm sure there is a timebomb waiting on line there too, yet I had full access to my cash inbranch without agreeing to any terms and conditions.
    If you don't agree with the term and conditions, you can not access the service
    I usualy make a point of only dealing businesses I'm happy with. I've done business with boi for over 35 years, I've never banked with another bank before this year. Already this year I've removed some of my business, and am considering moving all my business over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

As a suggestion to BOI, why not highlight the change in the t&c's say with a yellow highlighter from the previous version. Therefore existing customers/users of 365 would be able to home in on the changed section. . . (On the basis they would have previously accepted the earlier version of the t&c's)...

• Advertisement

Hi 2 stroke,

You can see the updated terms and conditions here.

I have twice attempted to read the full text of this agreement today, and each time I have been logged out before I reached section 7. Funny, as I didn't login.

Hi everyone,

We have forwarded your suggestions and feedback to our online banking team.

The amended terms and conditions you were asked to accept was to take into account the new service of eStatements. This is part 23.0 on the terms and conditions that was added.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Hi everyone,

We have forwarded your suggestions and feedback to our online banking team.

The amended terms and conditions you were asked to accept was to take into account the new service of eStatements. This is part 23.0 on the terms and conditions that was added.

Thanks
    Linda

A clear statement of the changes from version to version should be very easy to implement. Every lawyer I've ever worked with has been very careful to track all changes in documents.

For extra credit highlight the changes since the last time the customer accepted the terms. This might not be the same as the most recent set of changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Javan.

As always we appreciate your feedback. We have forwarded it on to the relevant department for further review.

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Dear BoI,

One point the OP made that you didn't address was the blocking of access. As a not too frequent user of BoI online tonight I tried checking a transaction on my current account. Access blocked. "we now offer customers estatements", I'm told. I don't want these, but I've no choice. I'm blocked from accessing online statements I've had for 10 years unless I enter a code from my mobile phone. In pushing estatements you don't mention you've pulled the existing service.

A complication for me is that AFAIK said bank don't know my mobile hone number, so God knows who got that text.

- N

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi novice,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The original post is about an update to the terms and conditions of 365Online and that a customer cannot proceed unless they accept them. This was clarified in our first reply.

The interrupt message you received is advising of a new option available. There are two tabs on this window; 'Register' and 'Continue to 365Home'. When signing up for eStatements, the security code is sent to the number you have registered on your profile. If you haven't registered your mobile, no code will issue. This facility will only activate on your account if you enter a valid security code.

You should still have access to twelve months of transactions online. On the Statements screen there are three tabs, Recent Transactions, Statements and Cheque Search. By clicking on Recent Transactions you can select a month from the drop down list. Alternatively, if you click on Advanced, you can filter the dates or transaction types you require.

Hope this helps clarify the issue you experienced, if not please let us know.

Thanks
    Tara

Tara, my original post was about being forced to agree a contractual document, by denial of access at an inappropriate time, while I had alcohol taken. If any contractual issues need to be agreed, I'll happily call in during business hours to discuss the issues.
    Just posting this to "clarify the issue"

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Voice of reason

2 stroke wrote: »
    Tara, my original post was about being forced to agree a contractual document, by denial of access at an inappropriate time, while I had alcohol taken. If any contractual issues need to be agreed, I'll happily call in during business hours to discuss the issues.
    Just posting this to "clarify the issue"
    If you're not sober enough to agree to a change in terms and conditions maybe you shouldn't be on it. How are BOI meant to know you're drinking patterns? It's an online service, you could be accessing it from the USA and it would be Irish time.

Advertisement