Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using stocks as collateral

Options
  • 05-10-2012 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

hi there , i have a slightly unusual enquire

i was wondering whether banks have any truck with a stock portfolio when it comes to securing a loan , if i want to borrow 200 k from a bank and own a 300 k stock portfolio , would they be willing to allow me to use the dividend payments from the relevant shares as a way of repaying a mortgage , assuming the dividend earnings met loan repayment demands

i realise they bank might point to the fact that i could simply liquidate the portfolio and blow the money but could the bank sieze control of the portfolio as a form of security

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

What you're suggesting makes perfect sense but I'd say banks are highly unlikely to run with it. At present, they're only running with very straightforward propositions. Anything out of the ordinary is being turned down in my experience.

Even in the good ol' bad ol' days a bank wouldn't take dividend income as suitable income for repayment of a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

The banks used to happily lend up to 50% (probably more in some banks) of the value of blue-chip portfolios - they would take a pledge over the portfolio as security so that you couldn't sell the shares. Dividend income wouldn't really be taken into account in terms of servicing the debt though, and it was not common for mortgage lending - banks strangely preferring bricks and mortar type security despite the flaws in this strategy. But not anymore anyway - and at least one of the main banks was forcing the sale of shares they held as security in order to reduce customers' debt in recent years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 box_car_maker

if a portfolio consisted of high quality companies which consistently pay out dividends year in year out , you would think that offered as much security as a paying job in a country like ireland, i mean , surely the likelihood of mc donalds or shell going out of business is lower than someone who works as a mechanic , teacher or it engineer

again , i point to how the bank could take over the portfolio so i the borrower dont liquidate and blow it

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

A lot of the equity collateral the banks held in 05-08 was Irish bank shares, I'd imagine their current policies are in part a reaction to this. Plus lending out the small amounts that they are against equities won't help their mortgage statistics and commitments in this area...

Advertisement