Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student, Homeless, Need some advice?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi!
    Feel a bit odd putting this here but i wasn't too sure what section to put this in but here goes. I'm living in Athlone all of my life and due to family issues i have to move out asap. I'm an Orphan living with my Grandparents and my grant is €400 every 3 months. I can't seem to be lucky enough to find a job anywhere as i've handed in CV's and application forms everywhere to no avail.

I was wondering if i went into the social office would they be able to fund me at all? I have no means of income, so as i need to move out i will genuinely be homeless as i can't stay in other peoples family homes for too long. I also want to apply to the council to see if they can maybe help me out with some suitable accomodation.

Does anyone know if the social will actually help me out here? I know as a student i'm not meant to receive any social welfare payments at all, and as i live in the same town i'm in college in my grant is tiny, and it might mess up my chances of receiving any social welfare payments.

I also don't know if i'm eligible for council housing?.. Could really do with some advice guys, Cheers for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Bonnie91 wrote: »
    Hi!
    Feel a bit odd putting this here but i wasn't too sure what section to put this in but here goes. I'm living in Athlone all of my life and due to family issues i have to move out asap. I'm an Orphan living with my Grandparents and my grant is €400 every 3 months. I can't seem to be lucky enough to find a job anywhere as i've handed in CV's and application forms everywhere to no avail.

I was wondering if i went into the social office would they be able to fund me at all? I have no means of income, so as i need to move out i will genuinely be homeless as i can't stay in other peoples family homes for too long. I also want to apply to the council to see if they can maybe help me out with some suitable accomodation.

Does anyone know if the social will actually help me out here? I know as a student i'm not meant to receive any social welfare payments at all, and as i live in the same town i'm in college in my grant is tiny, and it might mess up my chances of receiving any social welfare payments.

I also don't know if i'm eligible for council housing?.. Could really do with some advice guys, Cheers for reading.

Go to citizens advice bureau and they will be able to tell you what you are eligible for. It seems like social welfare should be able to help you out, and they don't like to see folks go homeless. It is not true that as a student you can't receive welfare payments - depending on circumstances, you can get certain allowances. The wait for a council house would be long, but you might be able to be housed in rented accomodation.

http://centres.citizensinformation.ie/centre.php?cic=Athlone+CIC

You could also get in touch with St. Vincent de Paul or the Simon community. St. V can help with all sorts of things so don't be afraid to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

You could go down to the community welfare officer beside the hospital she will send you to the town council. Then you fill out your form after you get all the required information and wait about eight weeks to be assessed as being in need of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Advertisement