Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which tablet please?

• 05-10-2012 12:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

In the vein of the (admittedly incredibly annoying) "find me a car" threads on Motors, I'm too ignorant, too tired and too lazy to start from scratch finding the right tablet for my group xmas pressie, so I'd like to enlist your help please.

I bought an Archos 101 G9 non-turbo for the mammy while back and very nearly shelled out myself for the turbo version, but I decided to hold off as the market was still a bit wishy-washy at the time. I'm guessing it's solidified a bit now, but I haven't kept up.

Requirements:
    • 10.1"
    • Budget ~€200-400. I'll chip in another €100 myself if I have to.
    • Newish model, i.e. it'll receive upgrades for a while.
    • CPU & RAM over storage, most content will be on a home server.
    • No keyboards or any of that other nonsense.
    • Me likey slim, sleek, solid, and black. White is for fridges and poseurs.
    • Fairly stock android. I don't mind a nice skin, but I don't like alternative app stores and the like.
    • Easy rooting would be nice.
    • A good choice of alternative ROMs would be nice, but less important than root.
    I'm probably missing a few things there, but I'm sure they'll crop up if I get any recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Maybe the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1?
    Officially supported by cyanogenmod so plenty of ROMS.

Has all the connectivity and bells and whistles. Is thin in design and light to hold. Screen is nice and bright and responsive. Plenty of third party accessories eg covers.

May be due an upgrade, so keep an eye out for discounts ;)

Or consider Samsung Tab note if you like the idea of a stylus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If I was you, I would probably wait until Microsoft launch their new Surface tablets on the 26th October

Windows 8 looks very good and probably runs a lot better than Andriod

I have a Sony Tablet S and my brother has a Motorola Xoom 2 and both are a bit slow. The major advantages that the Sony Tablet has over most other Android tablets are that it takes standard SDHC cards (upto 32GB) and the screen is also quite good

Depending on the price at launch, I might buy a Surface tablet when they are launched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Windows 8? No way would i touch it for some time as it needs to mature and it will be years before it has anyway near the same apps or support
    Android is long established and there is a huge amount of apps and devices that use it.
    The galaxy 10.1 is probably the best tablet out there and would my first choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Hi Adam,

If you want to reach the upper end of your budget then you can choose from the cream of the crop as far as android tablets go right now. I personally wouldn't be so quick to rule out tablets with keyboard docks since they add greater functionality and battery life but for the purpose of your initial request I'll ignore them.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB €480 - Argos, Did, Pixmania
    One of the best tablets on the market right now. Fast, light, thin, incredibly sensitive touch screen which allows the use of their 'S-Pen'. Runs ICS out of the box but will get JellyBean before end of the year.
    Negative would be the plastic casing, TouchWiz (nothing a custom rom couldn't fix) and lack of full HD screen.

Sony Xperia S Tablet 16GB €400 - PowerCity
    Newest addition to Sony's tablet line with a unique 9.7" display (could be 9.4 forget off the top of my head). Meant to be a more pleasing dimenion when reading books/magazines, Sony also built an extra grip on the back for this purpose.
    I don't know a whole lot about this tab but seems decent at the price.

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 64GB €589 - Amazon.de
    I personally own this tablet 64GB with the keyboard dock that cost me €649 at Komplett. Unfortunately not available in ireland in any other format - 32GB is available in some European locations which should reduce price under €500.
    JellyBean released earlier this week which greatly improved this tablet which felt a bit slower than the Note 10.1 out of the box. Full HD screen is great for reading or watching high def movies but some games can lag if played at the highest resolution. I personally love the keyboard dock which protects the screen, allows for faster typing (message boards, email, twitter), boosts battery life and provides USB port. It is super thin and light and has a spun aluminium back which has adds a premium feel to the product.

Asus Transformer Pad TF300 32GB €379 (€479 with keyboard dock) - Komplett.ie
    Budget version of the TF700. Probably more comparable to the Galaxy Tab 2 though in my opinion it's a better buy. Doesn't have the full hd screen of the TF700 and has a rubber/plastic case which does make it easier to grip. Already had JellyBean for 3 weeks which had initial teething problems but has since been smoothed out.

I personally haven't really looked in to many other budget tablets but I know the Acer Iconia A700 is to be avoided like the plague due to serious overheating issues and sluggish performance.

The tablet you should buy depends entirely on you and What you intend to use it for. You can read many differing reviews but ultimately the choice is down to you. There are rumours of a Samsung Full HD tablet (P10) and Google working on a 10" version of the Nexus 7 but nothing confirmed at all.
    Happy tablet shopping and whatever you decide to purchase be sure to have fun with it :)

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll read them in detail later. Just from a quick scan though:

Like I said, Android only. I already have a Windows laptop, I don't need another Windows device, particularly when the platform is so immature.

I was a tad over-dismissive about keyboards - if it's optional or it doesn't add a whole lot to the price, it'd be fine; I just don't /need/ one. I noticed that I could get a Transformer Prime complete with one on Amazon for 400 ex-VAT though, which seems pretty good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

dahamsta wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll read them in detail later. Just from a quick scan though:

Like I said, Android only. I already have a Windows laptop, I don't need another Windows device, particularly when the platform is so immature.

I was a tad over-dismissive about keyboards - if it's optional or it doesn't add a whole lot to the price, it'd be fine; I just don't /need/ one. I noticed that I could get a Transformer Prime complete with one on Amazon for 400 ex-VAT though, which seems pretty good value.

galaxy tabs have al been reduced in price. argos are selling for 380 for the 10.1 and theres even a 64gb on sale for 339 in white. Harvey norman are similar as well I think. friend has just bought one of these and the screen and ease of use is amazing. she hasn't really used technology before but now gives masterclasses to her hubby and kids on how to use it.

Highly recomended and at the lower price a steal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd recommend trying them all out on site as there are many aspects of a tablet which nobody can accurately describe in a review and which are highly subjective, for example how comfortable a tablet is to hold, whether the colours are cool or warm biased, how responsive it is etc. There's not one tablet out there which ticks all the boxes from what I've seen (I haven't seen the latest Toshiba though) although a couple come close.

I went with the A510 myself for the ergonomics (grip, speaker location), battery life and bang for buck (360 euros for a quad-core device is pretty decent) but if your hands are a different shape, you'll be charging it every night or a hundred euros doesn't make that huge of a difference these might not even be considerations.

If you want the best screen, I would go with the Transformer Infinity or Samsung Tab, but again these might be too bright or warm for some people's tastes.

And take everything you read about device X or Y being useless because Z happens with a pinch of salt. These reports are invariably highly exaggerated. For example the Transformer Prime's WiFi was flawless any time I used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all

Just to add another Tablet into the equation which is the Toshiba AT300 10.1,which i have purchased my self.

Gorilla Glass(not sure if there is any other tab with it)
    Currently on ICS with a promise of the Jelly Bean update
    SD Card slot,the plus is its expandable up to 128 GB,again i cant find another tab that can go to this.
    Very light
    feels good in the hand because of the surface on the back.
    Tegra Quad core,again very few on the market.
    I dont think it has any overlay from Toshiba in terms of interaction.

Just thought i would throw it out there.

Hi all

Just to add another Tablet into the equation which is the Toshiba AT300 10.1,which i have purchased my self.

Gorilla Glass(not sure if there is any other tab with it)
    Currently on ICS with a promise of the Jelly Bean update
    SD Card slot,the plus is its expandable up to 128 GB,again i cant find another tab that can go to this.
    Very light
    feels good in the hand because of the surface on the back.
    Tegra Quad core,again very few on the market.
    I dont think it has any overlay from Toshiba in terms of interaction.

Just thought i would throw it out there.

This is the one I nearly bought. Is there a root for it yet?

To follow up on Clint's post, the majority of recent tablets on the market run Nvidia Teg3 quad core processors. Asus Infinity and Prime run them, Lenovo S2110 runs it and the Sony Xperia S. The entire transformer line have micro SD card slots in them with a full sized SD card slot in the dock. I forget what slots are on the Lenovo S2110.
    I just read the Sony Xperia S has been pulled as some devices have a flaw with its screen not being 'waterproof' (splash proof) as advertised.
    Adam if you narrow down your search to one or two tablets I highly advise you check out Lisa from MobileTechReview on youtube. She does really detailed reviews of every tablet and mobile device and doesn't appear to have any bias between manufacturers.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

• Advertisement

Anywhere else to check these out in Cork bar PC World and Carphone Warehouse? Very few of the ones in PCW are working, and CW's selection is crap.

HMV on Grafton St in Dublin have a good selection on view, not sure if there's one in Cork. Harvey Normans might too, again if there's one in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I bought nexus 7 tab last week. My believe always been bigger is better all way. I've a 55' TV, nexus 4.6'' but going to Samsung 5.5 note 2 this week, no way I wanted 7 inch tablet, but its stellar. Its so light and use with one hand. Its really nippy too. Chrome is brill on it.

Its Google flagship with jellybean, it be first for its next OS. 1.4 quad CPU, 1gb ram, 9-10 battery. Auto wake with my ipad type cover and screen is quality too. Best part. 250e. I got it for 225e Heathrow. That's one hell of a deal. I've stopped using laptop since.
    Highly recommended.

Next I'll get windows 8 tablet. There no need to wait, it will be class.

Like I said, 10.1", Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Skatedude wrote: »
    Windows 8? No way would i touch it for some time as it needs to mature and it will be years before it has anyway near the same apps or support
    Android is long established and there is a huge amount of apps and devices that use it.
    The galaxy 10.1 is probably the best tablet out there and would my first choice

People would have said the same about Android three years ago. I switched then and have never wanted for apps or software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

HI there,

I am thinking fo buying the Asus 10" Transforner infinity.. It's a gift for my bf.. Could you buy this without the dock & they can buy themselve? Also should I cheap out & get the 32Gb? It's pretty expensive online everywhere for the 64Gb with the dock. Apologies I am a bit of a technophobe. Alos is the 32Gb the same as the 64Gb one but just less discspace??

Any advice would really be appreciated.. Also any ideas on where I can but it cheapest? If I had a friend in the US could they get me one there cheaper etc?

Thanks!!

HI there,

I am thinking fo buying the Asus 10" Transforner infinity.. It's a gift for my bf.. Could you buy this without the dock & they can buy themselve? Also should I cheap out & get the 32Gb? It's pretty expensive online everywhere for the 64Gb with the dock. Apologies I am a bit of a technophobe. Alos is the 32Gb the same as the 64Gb one but just less discspace??

Any advice would really be appreciated.. Also any ideas on where I can but it cheapest? If I had a friend in the US could they get me one there cheaper etc?

Thanks!!

You can buy the keyboard separately although it's quite pricey. The tablet has a SD card slot and supports external hard drives so 32 Gb on board should be plenty.

I think it's the 32GB Asus Infinity TF700T my bf's after (unfortunately)..
    Has anyone any idea where's the best (cheapest) place to get one?
    I might be able to get a friend pick one up in the US but otherwise I see one on www.simplyelectronics.net for €459.95... If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.. Thanks!

I might be able to get a friend pick one up in the US but otherwise I see one on www.simplyelectronics.net for €459.95... If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.. Thanks!

That's probably as good a price as you'll find for it without the dock I'm afraid. I bought my girlfriend's phone from simplyelectronics and it took almost a month to be delivered so be wary!

Are you sure he's techy enough to notice the difference between that and the older transformers? Could you save you a few hundred! ;)

Simply Electronics have a lot of very negative reviews online – do a quick google search on them. They also operate out of Hong Kong so there’s a chance you may get stung by customs. As far as I can tell it’s almost impossible to buy a 32GB infinity in Ireland, never mind without the dock. Amazon.de sell the 64GB version without a dock €549 + Shipping, but sourcing an international dock (US English) separately down the line will be another pain in your side. UK layout keyboards are not sold separately.

All things considered if you have a friend in the US I would most definitely ask them to buy it for you and ship it labelled as “gift”. Asus are known to have some quality issues so if your BF wouldn’t mind I’d advise your friend to open the box and check there are no major issues before mailing it. Most Americans I’ve read bought theirs from Best Buy or Amazon.

All that’s left to say is what a lucky guy he is!

• Advertisement

It's much the same price on Amazon including the keyboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006NTUJ0S

That's the Prime TF201 not the Infinity TF700 :)

Hmmm thanks for the replies.. a lot to think about.. the tf300 with keyboard might be the way to go.. decisions, decisions!

Didn't realise there was more than one. What's the difference?

That's the Prime TF201 not the Infinity TF700 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

There are alot of tablets coming out shortly with HD panels for decent prices so I would hold off. I recently managed to get a Tab 2 and was terribly disappointed with the screen.

Didn't realise there was more than one. What's the difference?

TF201 (Prime) was plagued with WiFi/GPS issues due to a full aluminium back, so much so that Asus developed a dongle free for all Prime owners to boost their signal. To correct this the Infinity has a plastic strip along the top of the back of the tablet where the antena is located.
    The infinity also has a higher clocked Tegra 3 CPU from stock and a full HD screen.

Essentially Infinity is the big brother of the Prime, the prime dock is even shipped in the box with your infinity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hi Pop'n'Fresh.

Great summary on the tabs above, very useful read, thanks!

With regard to the TF700 (which I am thinking of getting), you mention the keyboard has a USB port. Sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean I can use this port to interface with the tab (drag and drop files)? Or is it just a USB outlet from which you can only charge another device for example?

Also, are Komplett the best bet for getting it? How quick do they deliver? Was thinking of just strolling into town tomorrow and picking one up but peats don't seem to stock them.

Thanks for any help.

keith16 wrote: »
    Hi Pop'n'Fresh.

Great summary on the tabs above, very useful read, thanks!

With regard to the TF700 (which I am thinking of getting), you mention the keyboard has a USB port. Sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean I can use this port to interface with the tab (drag and drop files)? Or is it just a USB outlet from which you can only charge another device for example?

Also, are Komplett the best bet for getting it? How quick do they deliver? Was thinking of just strolling into town tomorrow and picking one up but peats don't seem to stock them.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Keith,

No question is a stupid question :)
    the USB port on the keyboard dock allows the use of USB flash drives, Hard drives (generally only those with their own power source), Game controllers, keyboards, mice etc. Basically anything that android has a driver for can be used.

The device is charged from a separate charging port on the side of the dock. When the tablet isn't docked the charging point on the tab itself is the same as the dock connection (along the bottom).

No physical store in Ireland seems to stock the Infinity right now, I've no idea why this is! I'm thinking they may have a lot of left over Prime (TF201) stock which they want to shift first.
    All orders I've made through Komplett have been delivered within 5 days. The Irish website shares a warehouse with the dutch site which is located in the Netherlands. The keyboard dock you get from komplett is english international version - basically a US layout.
    Honestly if you want the 64GB with keyboard then Komplett.ie has one of the most competitive prices in Europe, it's even cheaper than the dutch site and they sell the same stock! (had conversations with them before on the price differences between the sites, even when VAT is taken off they don't always match.)

They have a 14 day no question return policy. If you choose to return your tab make sure you keep all the packaging and stickers/rubber stoppers etc. As long as the depot in Dublin receive it within 14 days with your printed RMA form then you'll have no worries.

-- I should be getting commission from Komplett for all this plugging :P

Great stuff Pop'N'Fresh!

Think I might take a punt on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PopnFresh wrote: »
    Hi Adam,

If you want to reach the upper end of your budget then you can choose from the cream of the crop as far as android tablets go right now. I personally wouldn't be so quick to rule out tablets with keyboard docks since they add greater functionality and battery life but for the purpose of your initial request I'll ignore them.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB €480 - Argos, Did, Pixmania
    One of the best tablets on the market right now. Fast, light, thin, incredibly sensitive touch screen which allows the use of their 'S-Pen'. Runs ICS out of the box but will get JellyBean before end of the year.
    Negative would be the plastic casing, TouchWiz (nothing a custom rom couldn't fix) and lack of full HD screen.

Sony Xperia S Tablet 16GB €400 - PowerCity
    Newest addition to Sony's tablet line with a unique 9.7" display (could be 9.4 forget off the top of my head). Meant to be a more pleasing dimenion when reading books/magazines, Sony also built an extra grip on the back for this purpose.
    I don't know a whole lot about this tab but seems decent at the price.

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 64GB €589 - Amazon.de
    I personally own this tablet 64GB with the keyboard dock that cost me €649 at Komplett. Unfortunately not available in ireland in any other format - 32GB is available in some European locations which should reduce price under €500.
    JellyBean released earlier this week which greatly improved this tablet which felt a bit slower than the Note 10.1 out of the box. Full HD screen is great for reading or watching high def movies but some games can lag if played at the highest resolution. I personally love the keyboard dock which protects the screen, allows for faster typing (message boards, email, twitter), boosts battery life and provides USB port. It is super thin and light and has a spun aluminium back which has adds a premium feel to the product.

Asus Transformer Pad TF300 32GB €379 (€479 with keyboard dock) - Komplett.ie
    Budget version of the TF700. Probably more comparable to the Galaxy Tab 2 though in my opinion it's a better buy. Doesn't have the full hd screen of the TF700 and has a rubber/plastic case which does make it easier to grip. Already had JellyBean for 3 weeks which had initial teething problems but has since been smoothed out.

I personally haven't really looked in to many other budget tablets but I know the Acer Iconia A700 is to be avoided like the plague due to serious overheating issues and sluggish performance.

The tablet you should buy depends entirely on you and What you intend to use it for. You can read many differing reviews but ultimately the choice is down to you. There are rumours of a Samsung Full HD tablet (P10) and Google working on a 10" version of the Nexus 7 but nothing confirmed at all.
    Happy tablet shopping and whatever you decide to purchase be sure to have fun with it :)

Thanks,

Transformer has always interested me,

With Windows 8 out soon could we expect a price drop in overall tablets?

I would have thought the kindle tablets would be much more likely to have an effect, bezos admitted recently that he's selling them at cost. And they haven't, so I can't see them coming down a huge amount. If anything, I would have thought windows tablets would be overpriced, surely MS are charging for licencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PantaRei

Mobile broadband usage?

In my innocence on the issue I assumed that mobile internet browsing would be a great feature with the easily portable tablets... like the otherwise seemingly good Asus transfomer infinity (and perhaps the new Asus vivo)
    - but seems it can't be used via the mobile broadband networks ?
    (Komplett and other retailers say "3G: No", and can't find any reliable online news updates)

A pity that most if not all tablets can't be used for mobile internet browsing, apart from Wi-Fi...
    Happy to know of any tablet exceptions, and which is best in that regard ie mobile internet use,
    HSPDA+ seemingly having replaced HSPDA (whatever that means!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PantaRei

TF201 (Prime) was plagued with WiFi/GPS issues due to a full aluminium back, so much so that Asus developed a dongle free for all Prime owners to boost their signal. To correct this the Infinity has a plastic strip along the top of the back of the tablet where the antena is located....

Great info all round Pop 'n' Fresh, missed this in posting last remark
    (see above)
    Could that dongle possibly be used with Infinity in some way. for mobile Internet...
    guess the "dongle" word caught my eye, probably unrelated to anything beyond Wi-Fi!

Would be great to know your thoughts about mobile broadband and tablet use, including the Asus... if and when you have the time!

Thinking of the Asus TF101 as its a bit cheaper

Am i better off shelling the extra for the TF300? Is there really alot of differences?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thinking of the Asus TF101 as its a bit cheaper

Am i better off shelling the extra for the TF300? Is there really alot of differences?

A year ago I really wanted one. Now I wouldn't consider it. Realistically, it's still a fine piece of machinery, it's just the rate of development of tablets that makes everything obsolete within six months. How much can you get it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

PantaRei wrote: »
    Mobile broadband usage?

In my innocence on the issue I assumed that mobile internet browsing would be a great feature with the easily portable tablets... like the otherwise seemingly good Asus transfomer infinity (and perhaps the new Asus vivo)
    - but seems it can't be used via the mobile broadband networks ?
    (Komplett and other retailers say "3G: No", and can't find any reliable online news updates)

A pity that most if not all tablets can't be used for mobile internet browsing, apart from Wi-Fi...
    Happy to know of any tablet exceptions, and which is best in that regard ie mobile internet use,
    HSPDA+ seemingly having replaced HSPDA (whatever that means!)

If you have and Android smartphone you can tether the 3G connection via wifi to your tablet.

Failing that you could buy a cheap android phone payg from Three and pay €4.99 a month for 500mb 3G which you can then tether to the tablet whenever you need a connection.

A year ago I really wanted one. Now I wouldn't consider it. Realistically, it's still a fine piece of machinery, it's just the rate of development of tablets that makes everything obsolete within six months. How much can you get it for?

270 including the dock,

Looking at ebay etc it seems a decent price.

Agree on the tablet thing, the mobile market is ridiculous these days

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

In the vein of the (admittedly incredibly annoying) "find me a car" threads on Motors, I'm too ignorant, too tired and too lazy to start from scratch finding the right tablet for my group xmas pressie, so I'd like to enlist your help please.

I bought an Archos 101 G9 non-turbo for the mammy while back and very nearly shelled out myself for the turbo version, but I decided to hold off as the market was still a bit wishy-washy at the time. I'm guessing it's solidified a bit now, but I haven't kept up.

Requirements:
    • 10.1"
    • Budget ~€200-400. I'll chip in another €100 myself if I have to.
    • Newish model, i.e. it'll receive upgrades for a while.
    • CPU & RAM over storage, most content will be on a home server.
    • No keyboards or any of that other nonsense.
    • Me likey slim, sleek, solid, and black. White is for fridges and poseurs.
    • Fairly stock android. I don't mind a nice skin, but I don't like alternative app stores and the like.
    • Easy rooting would be nice.
    • A good choice of alternative ROMs would be nice, but less important than root.
    I'm probably missing a few things there, but I'm sure they'll crop up if I get any recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help.

adam
    Not sure if u want a branded one but memorycards.ie so their own range, very high spec and all running on the latst firmwares. u can check out the website or they have a shop in santry. should have mentioned their top model comes in at bout 180 and its 10" screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

The 501 is an oldish model compared to the 511 or 701 which are the latest gen 3G models although again not so old as to not be a decent tablet.

• Advertisement

PantaRei wrote: »
    Great info all round Pop 'n' Fresh, missed this in posting last remark
    (see above)
    Could that dongle possibly be used with Infinity in some way. for mobile Internet...
    guess the "dongle" word caught my eye, probably unrelated to anything beyond Wi-Fi!

Would be great to know your thoughts about mobile broadband and tablet use, including the Asus... if and when you have the time!

I was entertaining for the weekend so apologies for delayed response.

The "dongle" made for the prime was purely to boost its poor WiFi reception and had no relation to mobile broadband.

The value of a Mobile broadband connection solely for your tablet comes down to how you intend to use it. If this is your first tablet I would advise against signing a MBB contract, as someone else said if you have a smartphone you can configure it as a mobile hotspot for your tablet to connect via WiFi. I've done this on a couple of road trips and works like a charm. (as an aside I've also done it for friends from abroad who come to Ireland so they can access data on their phone while out with me)
    Something else to keep in mind is that Sim-free 3G/4G tablets are always more expensive than their WiFi counterparts (averaging €100), discounted tablets can be bought through a mobile operator in conjunction with signing a 12-18 month contract as with a phone. Buying through an operator will restrict your options in a small country like ours.
    Finally, if you're going to buy a 3G capable tablet today it may not be compatible with 4G which will be released here next year. IMHO overall the cost doesn't justify the need, at least for me personally. If you are on the road or outdoors a lot then a dedicated plan for your tablet might be a better fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Finally, if you're going to buy a 3G capable tablet today it may not be compatible with 4G which will be released here next year.

Have you a source for the above info ?
    I know the UK are rolling it out but I hadn't heard about 4G over here ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Have you a source for the above info ?
    I know the UK are rolling it out but I hadn't heard about 4G over here ?

ComReg auction for 4G spectrum is currently under way, delayed from last month, which means if licenses are officially awarded by end of 2012 it should be rolled out at some point in 2013.

I've read a couple of articles in the IT about it and also work for a mobile operator. It is coming, though the cost to the consumer is what I'm nervous about!

Just FYI for anyone reading the thread and not decided, ordered the ASUS TF700 from Komplett on Friday and got it today, have been playing with it all day.

Phenomenal piece of kit! It's just so intuitive and the keyboard dock is class. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Speaker placement was mentioned as a possible concern, but I find the sound quality is good and don't see an issue with where the speaker is.

Advertisement