Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: FAI Ford Cup Semi Finals; Oct 7, 2012

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Even enough game 'til the first goal. After that, a shameful collapse. It could have been five or six. :o

We blew our chance on Sunday. :(

Pat's will slaughter Newderry in their first ever final. After all those decades waiting, Pat's first cup win in so long will be very anti-climatic (not that they'll mind!).

Aww here we go again

City-Person-1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

We in the new stand never heard the derry lads once because of the drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aww here we go again

City-Person-1.gif

It's a different club. Your old club were wound up and booted out of the league for cheating.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's a different club. Your old club were wound up and booted out of the league for cheating.

Just have to see then during MNS how often RTE refer back to a repeat of the 2006 Final, as the papers have already

From the FAI's own web site

Derry City to meet St Patrick's Athletic in FAI Ford Cup Final

Derry City will meet St Patrick's Athletic in the 2012 FAI Ford Cup Final on Sunday, November 4, in what will be a repeat of the 2006 final

The 2006 encounter between the sides saw Derry win 4-3 after extra-time in what was the last soccer match played at the old Lansdowne Road stadium. This year's final will be a first appearance at the Aviva Stadium for both clubs.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/competitions/fai-ford-senior-cup/102830-derry-city-to-meet-st-patricks-athletic-in-fai-ford-cup-final.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just have to see then during MNS how often RTE refer back to a repeat of the 2006 Final, as the papers have already

From the FAI's own web site

Derry City to meet St Patrick's Athletic in FAI Ford Cup Final

Derry City will meet St Patrick's Athletic in the 2012 FAI Ford Cup Final on Sunday, November 4, in what will be a repeat of the 2006 final

The 2006 encounter between the sides saw Derry win 4-3 after extra-time in what was the last soccer match played at the old Lansdowne Road stadium. This year's final will be a first appearance at the Aviva Stadium for both clubs.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/competitions/fai-ford-senior-cup/102830-derry-city-to-meet-st-patricks-athletic-in-fai-ford-cup-final.html
    Yes, that which has been a beacon of accurate information at all times. Where the Cork fans find technicalities to argue on, with your situation there is none. Your old club was expelled from the league and not allowed participate.

• Advertisement

Maybe as you say but there has been a club here established since 1928 and this current club is a continuation from that.

Maybe as you say but there has been a club here established since 1928 and this current club is a continuation from that.
    There have been clubs in Derry since 1928. We can agree on that of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

If Derry win the cup are they allowed play in Europe next year? If they are not then it guarantees the top 4 in the league european football. If they are, then Shamrock Rovers will be bricking it:D

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    If Derry win the cup are they allowed play in Europe next year? If they are not then it guarantees the top 4 in the league european football. If they are, then Shamrock Rovers will be bricking it:D
    I believe they are next year. 3 years is what I thought it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CSF wrote: »
    I believe they are next year. 3 years is what I thought it was.

Three years accounts are needed.

This new Derry club don't have that, because they are a new club. According to UEFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Derry City will be contesting the FAI cup final.

Can't dispute that.

Des wrote: »
    Three years accounts are needed.

This new Derry club don't have that, because they are a new club. According to UEFA.
    Well, the original "throwing out" happened at the end of the 2009 season. Accounts for 2010, 2011 and 2012 would satisfy UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Accounts for 2010, 2011 and 2012 would satisfy UEFA.

As long as they haven't been cheating again :)

Well, the original "throwing out" happened at the end of the 2009 season. Accounts for 2010, 2011 and 2012 would satisfy UEFA.

Correct if Derry win the cup they will be in the Europa League next season

Pity if UEFA think Derry are a new club why do they have all the European Records on their site

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/teams/club=50086/profile/index.html

Pity if UEFA think Derry are a new club why do they have all the European Records on their site

You honestly think UEFA have gone to the effort of putting such thought in as to how Derry's statistics should be compiled? Come on now.

You honestly think UEFA have gone to the effort of putting such thought in as to how Derry's statistics should be compiled? Come on now.

Why not they have biggest wins and loses for all club teams in Europe

Why not they have biggest wins and loses for all club teams in Europe
    Compiling stats = easy. Putting thought into the individual circumstances of every club that gos into administation, liquidation or kicked out of the league and reformed, is that bit more difficult. If they do differently with Rangers when they come back to Europe, I'll be more inclined to take your point on board.

Just have to agree to disagree on how fans and others see things

Just have to agree to disagree on how fans and others see things
    I didn't think it was a matter of opinion. Was that Derry City not expelled from the league? If I missed a decree where that was reneged, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Pighead wrote: »
    I was right beside that drum. There was actually two of them. A big one and a small one. Not everybody's cup of tea but I thought it sounded great. And despite there not being too many fans in attendance those that were there never stopped singing all night. Think the announcer said that the attendance was 1477.

I couldn't hear what the announcer said, because the drumbeats were too loud :pac:

Anyway, that might be the tactic for the final, drumbeats against St.Pats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Shels fans last dying murmer, "you's were only formed a couple of years ago". The f*cking state of Shels fans to be having a go at any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The f*cking state of Shels? You're only Cup Final will be forever tarnished by the number 52. That cannot and will never be allowed to be forgotten.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Shels fans last dying murmer, "you's were only formed a couple of years ago". The f*cking state of Shels fans to be having a go at any club.
    You do realise you support Pats like, and not someone worthy of this sentiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The f*cking state of Shels? You're only Cup Final will be forever tarnished by the number 52. That cannot and will never be allowed to be forgotten.

I think it will be replaced with 26 if we win.

Ok, let's ignore the fact that uefa won't let Derry play this year, and instead just look at how they still have the old clubs stats on their site. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some bad losers around this site.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some bad losers around this site.

Where?

Derry fully deserved the win. No disputing that. Think Shels are still in the dressing room waiting to come out for the second half.

Ok, let's ignore the fact that uefa won't let Derry play this year, and instead just look at how they still have the old clubs stats on their site. :rolleyes:

Well if you want to be right this is Derry City V3, but as far as fans are concerned here its all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Where?

Derry fully deserved the win. No disputing that. Think Shels are still in the dressing room waiting to come out for the second half.

Or maybe they are on the pitch already, trying to score a goal? ;)

• Advertisement

Well if you want to be right this is Derry City V3, but as far as fans are concerned here its all the same.
    Thankfully it's not the fans who decided though and the FAI correctly expelled that club for a severe case of cheating.

Actually wtf is this 'as far as the fans are concerned' **** about. You can't create your own version of reality as opposed to the actual one that actually happened.

As far as the Shels fans are concerned, we actually beat Deportivo, went onto win the Champions League, were never demoted, and have won every trophy since, including La Liga and Eredivisie.

As far as the Shels fans are concerned, we actually beat Deportivo, went onto win the Champions League, were never demoted, and have won every trophy since, including La Liga and Eredivisie.
    That sums a few of you up perfectly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of course the fans are gonna want to think that.

Gloss over the fact that they let their club die whereas fans at other clubs gathered round and made huge efforts to save their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Actually wtf is this 'as far as the fans are concerned' **** about. You can't create your own version of reality as opposed to the actual one that actually happened.

As far as I'm concerned Barca are our feeder club.

We have four European Cups.

:rolleyes:

Shels fans have always been mental. Mathews finally gets them promoted whilst getting them to the cup final, then he cements their position in the top league whilst getting them to the cup semi final. Then, when they lose said semi final, they have a go at the club who beat them over their finances??

Fossetts circus should sponser Shels next season.

• Advertisement

Shels fans have always been mental. Mathews finally gets them promoted whilst getting them to the cup final, then he cements their position in the top league whilst getting them to the cup semi final. Then, when they lose said semi final, they have a go at the club who beat them over their finances??

Fossetts circus should sponser Shels next season.
    Budget is very relevant.. We scraped promotion with the biggest budget in the First Division. By the end of the season we had completely lost our way, and if the season had gone on another week or 2 longer we would be completing another season in the graveyard tonight.

We got to a cup final but we didn't deserve to, we were beaten 3-2 by a non-league team at home.

The whole thing about consolidating after relegation is grand but with our budget (probably between 4th and 6th in the league) expectations rise. I could have settled for our current position at the start of the season but the big problem is that we have only look like we are going backwards.

Bad football played badly with the players unwilling to shed an ounce of effort for Matthews. He has fallen out with a number of players who I would prefer are at Shelbourne next season and he has been abusive both to and about our fans on a number of occasions this season.

All this combined has led to our fans becoming alienated and attendances plummeting. I'm genuinely nervous of us going down the Dundalk route if he stays in charge.

Those are my reasons. But of course if you think that because we weren't relegated, we should sign Matthews up to another very well-paid contract, I'm sure that's a perfectly valid opinion too. I just don't quite understand that opinion.

Oh, and just to add, as a Pats fan, you should understand more than anyone, what can be achieved by not renewing the contract of an under-achieving but not relegation threatened manager, with someone who might breathe new life into the club.

Budget is very relevant.. We scraped promotion with the biggest budget in the First Division. By the end of the season we had completely lost our way, and if the season had gone on another week or 2 longer we would be completing another season in the graveyard tonight.

We got to a cup final but we didn't deserve to, we were beaten 3-2 by a non-league team at home.

The whole thing about consolidating after relegation is grand but with our budget (probably between 4th and 6th in the league) expectations rise. I could have settled for our current position at the start of the season but the big problem is that we have only look like we are going backwards.

Bad football played badly with the players unwilling to shed an ounce of effort for Matthews. He has fallen out with a number of players who I would prefer are at Shelbourne next season and he has been abusive both to and about our fans on a number of occasions this season.

All this combined has led to our fans becoming alienated and attendances plummeting. I'm genuinely nervous of us going down the Dundalk route if he stays in charge.

Those are my reasons. But of course if you think that because we weren't relegated, we should sign Matthews up to another very well-paid contract, I'm sure that's a perfectly valid opinion too. I just don't quite understand that opinion.

That's a good post in fairness. I just see Shels like any other club without going into detail and i look at the facts. Promotion....cup final....stabilty etc.

But yeah, i see your point. I have to say as well, when Pat's beat Shels a few weeks ago at Tolka, i was genuinely shocked at your attendence. I think we had as many fans there as you's did.

So if Matthews is the main cause of that, well then, fair enough.

But what exactly is the fans problem with Matthews?? Is the football really that bad?? I don't see enough of Shels to know otherwise.

Oh, and just to add, as a Pats fan, you should understand more than anyone, what can be achieved by not renewing the contract of an under-achieving but not relegation threatened manager, with someone who might breathe new life into the club.

Is that Pete Mahon related??

That's a good post in fairness. I just see Shels like any other club without going into detail and i look at the facts. Promotion....cup final....stabilty etc.

But yeah, i see your point. I have to say as well, when Pat's beat Shels a few weeks ago at Tolka, i was genuinely shocked at your attendence. I think we had as many fans there as you's did.

So if Matthews is the main cause of that, well then, fair enough.

But what exactly is the fans problem with Matthews?? Is the football really that bad?? I don't see enough of Shels to know otherwise.
    The football is really bad, but more importantly, played badly. We are a hoofball team who aren't set up to be a hoofball team. We are a squad full of midgets.

Again if we were full of up and coming youngsters who were taking time to get going that'd be grand, but we are a squad full of overpaid 1st division journeymen who aren't going to get any better next year.

Matthews attitude is a large part too. You can't be calling fans ***** and calling us deplorable to journalists and expecting people to turn up the following week. I don't expect someone to come in now and do a Drogheda, but some small steps in the right direction would be nice.

My other post was in reference to Mahon, yeah.

• Advertisement

I actually thought Mahon did a great job at Pat's given the resources!

I actually thought Mahon did a great job at Pat's given the resources!
    Probably comes back to your point about outsiders looking in not fully understanding.

To my mind, Mahon's Pats were seriously mediocre and Buckley has come in and breathed new life into the club.

Advertisement