Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Killorglin

Options
  • 05-10-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just after getting a new job in Killorglin, and I was just wondering...what is there to do for a 22 yr old girl!??! I'm not familiar with the place at all!!!

Advice please! Also....I don't have a car.... :/

Also accommodation tips??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Depends what you're into really, doubt there's much going on in Kilorglin apart from beering in the forge on a saturday night. Tralee and Killarney are pretty nearby though.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmek

Im trying to find out the same things! Im 20 and moving to Killorglin for work aswel. Trying to organise accommodation is not looking fun. Wondering if living in Killarney or Tralee and commuting would be handier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

rmek wrote: »
    Im trying to find out the same things! Im 20 and moving to Killorglin for work aswel. Trying to organise accommodation is not looking fun. Wondering if living in Killarney or Tralee and commuting would be handier?
    Assuming you have a car it's about a 20 minute commute to Killarney and a 30 minute commute to Tralee. The Tralee route is also a more awkward commute with lots of twists and turns while Killarney is more straightforward.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Assuming you have a car it's about a 20 minute commute to Killarney and a 30 minute commute to Tralee. The Tralee route is also a more awkward commute with lots of twists and turns while Killarney is more straightforward.

Yeah I have a car. Thanks Killarney sounds like a better option so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

not a hope,
    killorglin is a fine town, has plenty going on, there is a pantomine each year there, ye could get involved in that on your spare time,
    there are beautiful places around killorglin that you will be able to find i am sure, also paying rent in killarney or tralee would be dearer, and factor in petrol and wear and tear on car, and if weather is bad with frost ice on roads winter mornings, you would be better off near town of kilorglin, it has the laune runnign through it where you would get lovely walks, and there is also glembeing a half hour drive from killorglin with lovely beaches and a beautiful place to also think about, there is inch with its beautiful beach also half hour drive, there is the gap of dunloe where you are only 20 minuits from,
    google, kerrys eye newspaper for ads of rentouts, also west kerry live, also daft, and usually the big supermarkets in towns like killorglin have a board where people put up their ads for renting and buying selling,
    just google killorglin, and you will find there is much more to the place t han you are at this moment thinking,

rmek wrote: »
    Yeah I have a car. Thanks Killarney sounds like a better option so.
    http://www.let.ie/property-to-rent/kerry/Killorglin/
    there are some beauties in there, just keep looking

goat2 wrote: »
    http://www.let.ie/property-to-rent/kerry/Killorglin/
    there are some beauties in there, just keep looking

Thanks some of those places do look great!

I just think that it would be easier to get to know people and do things in the evening or at weekends living in a bigger town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 francomcdaddy

Accommodation is cheaper in Killorglin that Killarney or Tralee.

Plenty of activities.
    There is a sport complex where there are loads of activites to join, my brother play indoor hockey with a group there weekly
    2 gyms also
    Drama groups
    Plenty of Bars and loads of single men.
    Sol Y Sombra is a spanish tapis bar that young ladies seem to like better then the old man pubs in town.
    Kingstons is class and has young upcoming local band on regularly. Great Beer Garden in the summer months.
    Aldi is cheap for all grocery shopping
    The CYMS has regular events, Tommy Tiernan played there a few months ago.
    Gionvannis is a class restaurant if you want real italien food! This is not sarcasm realy high quality stuff.
    Plenty of fun runs, mini marathons, ring of kerry cycle,

The problem with Killorglin online is that its hard to get any onfo about what is happening.
    I run the killorglin facebook page and update it regularly with whats going one, i also run the only killorglin website - http://www.killorglinringofkerry.com
    pm me with any qu you have about town

For rental accommodation auctioneers Adrian Hassset or Garreth Sheehan are the two main guys in town that have affordable places. Getting accom in killorglin is easy. plenty available and local supermarketing notice board also.

Just go on facebook and ask some locals who live there and see.

Plenty of activities.
    There is a sport complex where there are loads of activites to join, my brother play indoor hockey with a group there weekly
    2 gyms also
    Drama groups
    Sol Y Sombra is a spanish tapis bar that young ladies seem to like better then the old man pubs in town.
    Kingstons is class and has young upcoming local band on regularly. Great Beer Garden in the summer months.
    Gionvannis is a class restaurant if you want real italien food! This is not sarcasm realy high quality stuff.

The problem with Killorglin online is that its hard to get any onfo about what is happening.
    I run the killorglin facebook page and update it regularly with whats going one, i also run the only killorglin website - http://www.killorglinringofkerry.com

For rental accommodation auctioneers Adrian Hassset or Garreth Sheehan are the two main guys in town that have affordable places. Getting accom in killorglin is easy. plenty available and local supermarketing notice board also.

thanks for this info,
    there is much more to killorglin than i thought, but i do know that it is a lovely place,
    where exactily in the town is this jacks bakery, it looks nice,
    those guesthouses look beautiful,
    now i can refer back to your link when going that way again,
    ye have one of the finest hardware stores also, i visited it and a person could spend hours browsing in there, it has cafe, gifts, garden centre, and lots of things you will not see in other hardware stores, they have great selection on stuff to heat the home, it is on the glenbeigh road, i was there about six months ago, hope to be back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I wouldn't be familiar with the town but spotted a few nice places you could live in killorglin on daft. If its your first time leaving home/getting your own place maybe go to an estate agent they might help regarding accommodation.

Killarney and Tralee aren't that far about 20 mins. If you had a car it be grand but plenty buses go between the towns if you were to live in Killarney or Tralee. For you stick nearer the towns as much as possible if you need to catch the bus to commute to Killorglin. All depends what can you afford in terms of rent.

Killarney be a busier town than Tralee. In terms of going out Killarney is the place to be rather than Tralee if you looking for where the crowds are. Tralee is grand for a quiet drink though. Nice places to eat in Tralee and the shopping isn't too bad.

I'm sure there is lots to do in Killorglin though. Lots to do in places near it too in particular Killarney - sight seeing/activities.

Castlemaine wouldn't be that far though.

It's very hard for any town in Ireland to match Killarney for things to do, fine restaurants, tourist attractions, national park for hikes walks and cycles,, cinema, the INEC, public swimming pool, nite clubs, just about every sport you could want to participate in, loads of clubs...the list goes on and on. And if shopping is an issue, as hardware shops were mentioned, it's the best shopping town in South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Plenty of activities.
    2 gyms also
    Drama groups

And the bars are empty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Try Killarney or a bigger town than Killorglin.

Advertisement