Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 footballers suspects in illegal betting

• 05-10-2012 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

3 very silly boys if it's found to be true. Both Chopra and Coppinger would be earning between 5-10k per week, so quite what they really thought they could gain from this is beyond me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/19830682
    Three footballers are among a group charged by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) over an investigation into "suspicious betting activity".

Ipswich's Michael Chopra, Nottingham Forest loanee James Coppinger, ex-Manchester United player Mark Wilson and six others are accused of "serious breaches of the rules of racing".

Jockey Andrew Heffernan is also among those charged by the BHA.
    The allegations focus on betting on horses to lose on betting exchanges.

The BHA said the races at the centre of the investigation took place between 1 November 2010 and 31 March 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

grenache wrote: »
    Both Chopra and Coppinger would be earning between 5-10k per week, so quite what they really thought they could gain from this is beyond me.

There's more to fixed games tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Chopra is a notorious gambler. I remember a interview with him once where he said he moved clubs so often because he needed the signing on fee to cover losses. I think he checked in to Tony Adam's clinic once to get treatment for it. Also seem to recall a club giving him money to pay off debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

rotinaj wrote: »
    Chopra is a notorious gambler. I remember a interview with him once where he said he moved clubs so often because he needed the signing on fee to cover losses. I think he checked in to Tony Adam's clinic once to get treatment for it. Also seem to recall a club giving him money to pay off debts.

In football manager 2012 it was possible for him to be sent to rehab for months, terrible terrible gambler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The jockey in all this will take the hit. His career is over, in the UK at least. The worst the footballers can expect is a ban from owning or training racehorses and a ban from all race courses.

It was Ipswich who gave Chopra the loan of 250,000 to pay off some highly dodgy characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Chopra certainly wasnt backing himself to score first in any games.......

It is the jockey that will suffer the most here,footballlers will laugh at such charges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Chopra said he's lost £1,5-2 million through over the years .

That's mad .

Horse racing is fixed? Never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

grenache wrote: »
    3 very silly boys if it's found to be true. Both Chopra and Coppinger would be earning between 5-10k per week, so quite what they really thought they could gain from this is beyond me.
    I've no idea about the others but Chopra's gambling problem leaves him very open to being leaned on occasionally using his debts.

Advertisement