Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Maps

• 05-10-2012 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

On checking Google Maps, I'm finding a lot of streets/roads now in Irish. As unfortunate as it is that I do not speak Irish, it is making life difficult even though some I can work out, its tedious and makes map-reading slow. I have tried clicking 'switch between labels in the local language', but it does not seem to be active for English. However, as the local language might be deemed to be Irish, then I am stumped as to what to do now. Another genealogical wall, as if I haven't enough to deal with! Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Logainm.ie is a great site that might be able to help.

The English language tab is in the top right corner.

Tried a few random street names and it gave the translations. They primarily focus on place names but seem to be expanding to streets too.

There is also a tab in the top left for aimn.ie [word].

As an aside, there are some cracking maps in the Information Resources section too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

try the OSI maps, and compare - see : Ordnance Survey - Dublin City

maybe try bing maps, or just post a query on here - someone should either know the area involved, or be able to find out for you.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for all that info Cool and Shane. That's a lot of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Oh the embarrassment, 14 years of gaeilge at school and I wrote ainm = word.

It is of course name! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Oh the embarrassment.......

No, it's 'Oh focal!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have decided not to beat myself up any more about not being able to speak Irish. This is the very first time in my 60 years on this planet that I have been forced into working out a few words. Sure no wonder we can't speak it! It rarely turns up in life. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    On checking Google Maps, I'm finding a lot of streets/roads now in Irish. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Same with me. My first thought was that Galway had actually renamed a lot of streets with their Irish names. But no, its just google being over-culturally sensitive. Even locals dont use those names.

Use Bing instead of google.

Or Mapquest maps.

Advertisement