Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Juice / Oranges per liter

• 05-10-2012 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Recently was given some freshly squeezed oj...tasted fab. Anyway was always under impression innocent oj. was the best value you could get. It was half price in tescos so got a few...tonight bought aldi version...turns out aldi has 17 oj's per liter and innocent has 11 per .9 liter bottle....aldi at full price of 2.79 is closest thing to freshly squeezed oj i ever tasted...the innocent stuff must be made. up with alot of water..its full price is also 2.79 for a smaller bottle with alot less oranges..this is a scam as no where on bottle does it say how much water is added to fill the bottle. ps i think the aldi bottle is being filled in cavan giving irish jobs...well done

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I dont know about the quality, but one thing sticks out about this.

How big are the oranges?

Five big ones are equal to ten small ones.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grange mac wrote: »
    this is a scam as no where on bottle does it say how much water is added to fill the bottle.
    That's because there is no added water.

There is no secret on these juice drinks, just read ingredients lists and nutritional info. Orange juices will usually be 10-11% sugar/carbs. If these were "made from concentrate" drinks I am not sure if they can legally overwater them, if they did the nutritional values would go down as they cannot add sugar and still call it juice.

If you were talking about juice DRINKS thats a different story. Like alongside proper juices you will see cranberry juice drink. They must legally say juice as it is mixed with water & flavourings.

Or if you were talking about dilutable drinks, e.g. ribena is very expensive and has less blackcurrant juice than the far cheaper tesco premium dilutable blackcurrant drink. I don't view it as a rip off as the info is clearly on the bottle.

The one I do have an issue with is bulmers extremely misleading advert for bulmers pear, inferring it is made with 100% pear juice, while really it is more like 33%, the rest is sugar, water & flavouring. The marketing scam is that it really means the only juice in the drink is 100% pear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Trust me...i kno im from cork but go on go on go on...if you still doubt me squeez an orange and drink it.Then take a sip of both orange juice bottles...only one will taste like your freshly squeezed orange juice...

Only just spotted the diff...aldi oj seems to be 46% rda v 23% innocent oj...hence the taste diff....any comments?

.aldi oj seems to be 46% rda v 23% innocent oj..
    Oranges will differ in size and taste. The RDA can often change too.

Many authorities will quote wildly different rda's for vitamin C, so your 23% innocent could well have more vitamin C per 100ml than the aldi one. Also watch out for portion sizes in these figures, I see on innocents site a portion is listed as 150ml, it is more typically 200ml on large cartons I see.

Many RDA quotes as based on the minimum requirement, not the optimal requirement. Minimum being the amount to stave off scurvy and other conditions. This minimum is usually around 60mg while you get vitamin C tablets that are 1000mg to be taken daily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C#Government_recommended_intakes
    Government recommended intakes

Recommendations for vitamin C intake have been set by various national agencies:

40 milligrams per day or 280 milligrams per week taken all at once: the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency[1]
    45 milligrams per day 300 milligrams per week: the World Health Organization[87]
    90 mg/day (males) and 75 mg/day (females): Health Canada 2007[88]
    60–95 milligrams per day: United States' National Academy of Sciences.[82]

The United States defined Tolerable Upper Intake Level for a 25-year-old male is 2,000 milligrams per day.

A freshly squeezed orange juice done by yourself with your hand will be clearer, as you are not putting in the white pith. In the 80s & 90s I remember seeing machines generating proper juice in supermarkets, it was far closer to what you do at home. Nowadays I have tasted cheapo "not from concentrate" juice and can taste little or no difference between it and bog standard "made from concentrate" stuff. It is faster & cheaper to barely take the rind off the orange and liquidise the lot, including the bitter white pith. Then there are different levels of heat treatment to extend shelf life. In Marks & Spencer they do an amazing pressed pineapple juice which has a shelf life of 2 days. They have another in a carton which is totally different, it is still pressed but has an extended shelf life, probably undergoing more heat treatment. Like how UHT & pasteurized milk taste completely different, and fresh raw milk would taste different again, so the cheapo longlife juice is comparable to the UHT muck.

Good answer. I think they both gave ml/l and rda. But ill check. I just think company I are pulling a stroke and trading off their good name. we all know the
    .9l bottle is a stroke as most if not all others use the 1l bottle size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

there are so many different sizes of oranges out there that most of what is written is marketing speak.

There are also different extraction methods and different varieties, some of which produce more juice than others.

If it says 100% pure natural juice, then that's what's in it. Taste will be down to extraction method, variety of orange and whether its pastuerised or not.

Anyone explain how one bottle has 18mg per 100ml @ 18%rda and the other has 37mg per 100ml @36% rda of vitamin c...does this not show there is a serious diff in the contents....anyone do the taste test?

Anyone explain how one bottle has 18mg per 100ml @ 18%rda and the other has 37mg per 100ml @36% rda of vitamin c.
    Ascorbic acid is a common preservative used in cartons of juice. This ascorbic acid actually is vitamin C so you might see higher values on the more preserved juices. That M&S pineapple juice I mentioned has none in the fresher one, and has it added to the longer life one.

If neither juice has ascorbic acid added then I would guess the one with more heat treatment would usually have less vitamin C as most things degrade with heat. But also I expect different varieties of oranges may have different levels too.

Advertisement