Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

gender discrimination, bigotry, homophobia, selfishness, smugness, gullibility, conservatism, traditionalism and racism, all wrapped into one neat package for the mentally lazy. (All contained in one book, . . . . . how convenient)

Religion makes me yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Religion is...
    Just fairy tales and myths, with some really fanatical fans who dissect every word and sentence searching for meaning, while forgetting/ignoring the fact that it's all made up.
    IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ah jank, normally I'd say you were confusing it with a) death and b) taxes but seen as you've nailed your colours to the mast over in the US Politics forum you probably believe;

a) is a step to an eternal afterlife
    b) can be avoided

I'm not sure which is more deluded.

What colours would that be? Because I am not a lemming that loves Obama means what exactly.

I was merely pointing out that religion will always be a factor of humanity, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jank wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out that religion will always be a factor of humanity, that's all.

Oh you pessimist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

...the greatest excuse man has ever come up with. Play the religion card and you can literally get away with murder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

... the most effective placebo.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Oh you pessimist!

Realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Oh you pessimist!

Realist.

But aren't you a theist? I would have thought they were mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Religions%252520no%252520questions%25255B4%25255D.jpg

In other words, religion is

For_the_Birds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

John Lennon - Imagine (official video) - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Anyone else have the following pop in their head when they saw the thread title?
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain

If you can read this, you're too close!

Realist.

Tomato Tomato (that doesn't work as well written down!). One can still hope and strive for the stars even if it only helps us get to the moon. You have to stay optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

koth wrote: »
    Anyone else have the following pop in their head when they saw the thread title?
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain
    Yeah, with Peter the Puppy from Earthworm Jim saying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Allah_

Poison.

But aren't you a theist? I would have thought they were mutually exclusive.

Why do you think I am a theist? Did I say that I am somewhere?

Tomato Tomato (that doesn't work as well written down!). One can still hope and strive for the stars even if it only helps us get to the moon. You have to stay optimistic.

Funny, I would have thought faith at its core is an eternally optimistic message, it is man and especially the state that was turned it into a form of control and fear.

Also, lets not forget that most people here subscribe to the idea that free will is nonsense (see Sam Harris), therefore life is what it is... Can't have it all your own way! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Nobody. Religion is worst thing that has ever happened in human history. More people have been killed in the name of God than for another reason

Nobody. Religion is worst thing that has ever happened in human history. More people have been killed in the name of God than for another reason

Two points are very subjective and not really true but anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Funny, I would have thought faith at its core is an eternally optimistic message, it is man and especially the state that was turned it into a form of control and fear.

Also, lets not forget that most people here subscribe to the idea that free will is nonsense (see Sam Harris), therefore life is what it is... Can't have it all your own way! :)

We do? News to me. Yet again I didn't get the memo :mad:

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    We do? News to me. Yet again I didn't get the memo :mad:

Oh yea its du jour, the latest thing. I have heard 3 atheists on TV and in person (Sam Harris) mention it in the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

... interesting.

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Oh yea its du jour, the latest thing. I have heard 3 atheists on TV and in person (Sam Harris) mention it in the past few weeks.

So Sam Harris is now posting on this forum and 3 forum regulars have appeared on TV without telling us?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Once again may I point out the lack of a Hive Mind.

3 atheists on TV and one in person (Sam Harris) might not believe in Free Will- hell some atheists even believe soccer is a great sport- does not mean these beliefs are shared by all atheists.

koth wrote: »
    So Sam Harris is now posting on this form and 3 forum regulars have appeared on TV without telling us?

I have appeared on TV recently- I am sure I never mentioned anything about Free Will unless some producer did some sneaky over dubbing and just slipped that in there. :eek:

Even then, as Free Will had nothing to do with the topic I was whittering on about it would have been a fairly obviously out of context statement and there is no way these sneaky over dubbing producers could have found someone to replicate my dulcet 'posh' Cork accent so if they had managed to over dub me Mam would have been on the phone asking what happened my voice and what crap was I spouting now. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have appeared on TV recently
    You too? I was on the telly the other night as well!(*)

(*) Due to excessive cheerfulness and an unfamiliar hotel bedroom.

robindch wrote: »

Did you opine about Free Will?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »

CCTV doesn't count Robin. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    CCTV doesn't count Robin. ;)

It does if it ends up on Crime Line/Time/Call or 'People do the daftest Things' or 'When Athiests Attack' or some such programme...

Robin - did you say anything we will all be accused of believing henceforth and forthwith?

• Advertisement

I didn't know crime call was still on the go!

Advertisement