Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare question

Options
  • 05-10-2012 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Got a few pretty nasty bites from ants the other night. Went doc today and they where pretty shocked to hear i didn't have a medi card?
    Are we entitled to medi cards? Im on the whv
    Can I claim any of this money back through medicare or should i claim it off my travel insurance.
    Only came to 150 but would be delighted to get some back.

<mod edit - change title, as boards does not give out medical advice>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We are not entitled to medicare. You need to claim from insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

You'd be entitled to one if you're from Northern Ireland and travelling on a UK passport as far as I know, but if you're from the Republic then nope you're not entitled to a medicare card on a whv so you'll just have to claim back what you can through travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I'd be incredibly surprised if your travel insurance covered it.

If you had gone to an emergency room and shown your passport they would have had to treat you for free but as it stands you can't claim it back.

You might be able to claim it back through your tax refund next year as I remember having to submit a receipt for a test I had done which wasn't covered by my health insurance and I think I got it deducted so that could be your best bet.

Other than that...ER or get AU health insurance in future.

All aussies have medicare and the concept of paying for health shocks them...hence their reaction. Nothing to do with any knowledge they may have of you being entitled to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Traq wrote: »
    You'd be entitled to one if you're from Northern Ireland and travelling on a UK passport...

If you are from the north you are entitled to one regardless of what passport your visa is linked to.

Advertisement