Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laracus/Learacha/Learcas

Options
  • 05-10-2012 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm having difficulty finding this location or anything about it, hoping I can get some help. I think it's near Glenveagh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

You are correct.
    Laracus (Learcach, in Irish) is about halfway between Creeslough and Glenveigh, on what's known locally as the back of Muckish road. I think it's the R232.

In any case, if you can find Muckish Mountain on a map, Laracus is the next townland.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I see a "Larkagh Bridge" here. I assume that's in the general area.

That's it alright, Muffler.

Laracus townland starts just past Muckish, as you drive towards the back of Errigal road, because I went to school with a girl from Laracus, so I know where she used to live.

I didn't think Laracus stretched down as far as the bridge, for some reason, but it's not my home turf, so I'm probably wrong.

In any case, from Muckish Mountain down to the main back of Errigal road is only 2-3 miles, so it wont be too hard to find.

I cant seem to find a townland called Laracus though from roaming around the map. It must be a local place name.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

muffler wrote: »
    I cant seem to find a townland called Laracus though from roaming around the map. It must be a local place name.

Yeah, exactly. It doesn't appear to be a proper townland. Or is there any chance it goes by another name?

The reason I ask is because I was told my ancestor came to Creeslough from "Laracas" at the foot of Muckish and I still had a devil of a time finding out where that was until I started using different spellings. And even then!

Like I'm trying to find the place in the 1901 census and it doesn't appear to be on there. I would think this is the area: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Cross_Roads/

Thanks for your help though. At least I have the general area down.

• Advertisement

RGM wrote: »
    Yes, those were the same townlands I was seeing on the old map - if you follow the link I posted above and down in the panel at the bottom right you have an option to view historic 6" or 25" scale maps. The townlands will show up on those but there is one townland on the map that isn't named though.

There's a full list of all townlands in Donegal available here from the Council's website

muffler wrote: »
    Yes, those were the same townlands I was seeing on the old map - if you follow the link I posted above and down in the panel at the bottom right you have an option to view historic 6" or 25" scale maps. The townlands will show up on those but there is one townland on the map that isn't named though.

There's a full list of all townlands in Donegal available here from the Council's website

That map wasn't showing for some reason, but it is now.

I actually found another old map and there is a hill/peak called Crocknalaragagh. It's called Larkagh on your map link, it's directly left of the bridge. I'm assuming it's a hill anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

ootbitb wrote: »

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

so the forest on the side of the mountain on the back of errigal road is called laracus wood.

you learn something new everyday!

• Advertisement

RGM wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly. It doesn't appear to be a proper townland. Or is there any chance it goes by another name?

The reason I ask is because I was told my ancestor came to Creeslough from "Laracas" at the foot of Muckish and I still had a devil of a time finding out where that was until I started using different spellings. And even then!

Like I'm trying to find the place in the 1901 census and it doesn't appear to be on there. I would think this is the area: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Cross_Roads/

Thanks for your help though. At least I have the general area down.

You wouldn't find it on the Crossroads census, anyway. That covers the electoral area for Falcarragh , and Laracus would come under one of the Creeslough/Brockagh polling area, afaik.
    Maybe someone from that electoral area could advise?

Edit: I found the Brockagh electoral area in Mufflers link. It's the next townland to Laracus, so, probably would be listed on the same census as Laracus.
    It's Críoch na Sméar

Noreen1 wrote: »
    You wouldn't find it on the Crossroads census, anyway. That covers the electoral area for Falcarragh , and Laracus would come under one of the Creeslough/Brockagh polling area, afaik.
    Maybe someone from that electoral area could advise?

Edit: I found the Brockagh electoral area in Mufflers link. It's the next townland to Laracus, so, probably would be listed on the same census as Laracus.
    It's Críoch na Sméar

But Brockagh appears to be across the way a bit. Isn't Laracus right in between Devlin and Meencoolashekin?

It is across the way a bit, in Creeslough direction.
    There are very few houses in Laracus, though, only a couple in Meencoolashekin, and none on the main Letterkenny to Gweedore Road in the general area.

The most populated townland in that immediate area is Brockagh, and I think there's a school there, which would most likely have been used as a polling station, which is why I mentioned it.

The census you are looking for wouldn't be under the Crossroads electoral area for definite, which is why I suggested the Críoch na Sméar census, since I can't find either Devlin or Meencoolasheskin on the Councils list of townlands.
    I doubt if there are any houses in Meencoolasheskin, unless there are a few on the back road to Creeslough, as that area is undivided Mountain and bogland. ie It is co-owned by all the landowners in the area.

The councils list leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Click on this link and then under "map tools" near the top right you can zoom out 2 levels and that will take in a wider area. Hover the mouse over the map and it will show the townlands and possibly the DED.

Arrows at the sides and corners of the map can be used to pan.

Just in case the above link doesnt work here's the full url: http://gis.donegal.ie/gplan_donegalcc/default.aspx?fn=032752

Noreen1 wrote: »
    The census you are looking for wouldn't be under the Crossroads electoral area for definite, which is why I suggested the Críoch na Sméar census, since I can't find either Devlin or Meencoolasheskin on the Councils list of townlands.

Devlin and Meencoolashekin are in the Crossroads area though, even though they are a ways from Falcarragh. That electoral area extends out from the coast all the way up to the Gartan electoral area.

The townlands in the 1901 census in Críoch na Sméar were:
    Brockagh, Carrownamaddy, Creenasmear, Glack, Glassan, Gortnaleck, Kildarragh, Kilmackilloo.

I was just about to post, but you've beaten me to it.

Apologies. I looked up the Irish version of Meencoolasheskin (Mín Chúil an tSeascáin) in Mufflers townlands link, and, you're right, it is in the Crossroads electoral area.
    So, that being the case, Laracus is in the townland of Meencoolasheskin.

Which makes the photo I PMd you of the townland that your ancestor comes from, but not the exact area, which seems to be limited to the house that my schoolfriend lived in, unless there were other houses in the area that have fallen down since your ancestor lived there.
    There is only one house in Meencoolasheskin on the Falcarragh to back of Errigal road (main Letterkenny to Gweedore road).
    I don't think there are any houses on the back road to Creeslough in Meencoolasheskin. I haven't been down that road in years, though.

Big thanks to Noreen for all the help here and through PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mo2012

Laricus is in Creeslough- Devlin is from the bridge down towards the Glenveagh junction with Brockagh from the Tjunction on that road down towards Creeslough which leads to Glassan where the national school is where they hold the voting!

- Naomh Michael Abu!!

So Devlin starts at the bridge below Ba***s house?

I know there is only one house in Laracus now, but RGM found records to prove there were two houses in Meencoolasheskin in the period 1840s to 1850s. Meencoolasheskin seems to cover Laracus, and the Seascán beside it on the map, as far as I can tell.

You seem to know the area better than me, since I only pass through from time to time, so I wouldn't be sure of where the townland boundaries are.

So, are there any old ruins that aren't visible from the road in Laracus?
    I passed through there on Tuesday, and had a good look down over the Seascán, but I couldn't see any.

I'm just wondering if there are any ruins on the forestry side of the road at Laracus, that might be hidden by the trees? It would have been a more likely spot for a house, I think.
    And, if so, are there any relatives of the original owners still living in the Devlin/Brockagh area?

It would be nice if Boards could help track some long-lost relatives, and, odds-on, if the ruin is still there, there's a chance that whoever owns it might just be distantly related to RGM.:D And Laracus covers such a small area that there's a good chance that an elderly person from the area might just have the information that RGM is trying so hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mo2012

It depends which B****s house your talking about! 1s in Laracus and the other is in Devlin but they're both the same family. There are a 2 more houses down beside bridge so it could be one of those.
    Across from the B****s house in Laricus is what is an old shed now but might have been a house once up on a time. I've been over where the forrestry was until latey and I don't remember any house over there.

• Advertisement

Mo2012 wrote: »
    Across from the B****s house in Laricus is what is an old shed now but might have been a house once up on a time. I've been over where the forrestry was until latey and I don't remember any house over there.

I was wondering about that, there are clearly some ruins there. It looks like it was a long building. It's on old maps.

Mo2012 wrote: »
    It depends which B****s house your talking about! 1s in Laracus and the other is in Devlin but they're both the same family. There are a 2 more houses down beside bridge so it could be one of those.

I was talking about the house in Laracus.

That shed sounds like the most likely spot for the original family home, then.

Are the owners of that shed people who have lived in the area for a couple of generations? And, would their surname possibly begin with Mc?
    Or do you know if that land was sold in the last couple of generations?

It's looking as if RGM might be getting very close to finding out more about his/her relatives, or, at least, whether the Laracus branch are still living in the Devlin/Brockagh area.

Advertisement