Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 147 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Achilles wrote: »
    Happy days, need to school her on The Next Generation at least though!

She has been watching some of it. I might let her watch the first one this week so she will have some idea what Into The Darkness is about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Knine wrote: »
    She has been watching some of it. I might let her watch the first one this week so she will have some idea what Into The Darkness is about

Yeah that's a good idea, get your hands on the bluray if you can.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Going to see both films tonight in IMAX. First one starts at 9:30pm, with the other at midnight. I just hope i'm not too close to the screen, as it was pretty booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

I won't be going to see it. The last one was pure muck. It didn't contain anything of what made Star Trek great. It seemed very obvious that Abrahams was too lazy or unwilling to research trek and just ploughed ahead with making a generic action film based on established characters. Destroying Vulcan was inexcusable and would have been shot down on fan fiction let alone an official film. He can keep his alternative timeline BS. For me, these new films are not Star Trek and will never be.

squonk wrote: »
    I won't be going to see it. The last one was pure muck. It didn't contain anything of what made Star Trek great. It seemed very obvious that Abrahams was too lazy or unwilling to research trek and just ploughed ahead with making a generic action film based on established characters. Destroying Vulcan was inexcusable and would have been shot down on fan fiction let alone an official film. He can keep his alternative timeline BS. For me, these new films are not Star Trek and will never be.

That's nice dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

heading to see Into Darkness on Friday after work with a few colleagues. cannot wait. I was at the light house tonight to see another film and their "Vulcan Deadly Buzz" Star Trek Party was in full swing when I was leaving, though I only saw a had full of people in Starfleet uniform and one Troi doppelganger, which was a bit disappointing. I was expecting to see at least one Klingon.

Fingers crossed I havent hype it up too much for myself. going to avoid all reviews etc. if I can tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw it last night and loved it. I was probably always going to love it, but it definitely lived up to what i hoped for. Had all the things i loved about the 1st one, and added to it. Yeah, at times it was a bit hammy, and the dialogue wasn't the best in some scenes, but i really enjoyed the story. Will wait till more of you see it to post spoiler tags (As i got about 2 hours sleep last night and would probably mess it up).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

I just returned from seeing it - im not going to give away any plot details... my reaction can be summed up in a NON-PLOT REVEALING PHOTO

triplefacepalm.jpg

Im sorry folks - call me a traditional star trek nerd if you will - call me a dinosaur if ye like - but a crappy plot sprinkled with eh, 'nods' to Roddenberry's fine creation, just doesnt cut it for me.

I lookforward to discussing the film with those that have seen it - and i expect it will be a resounding success - but all i can say is... cant WAIT to see what the Star Wars fans think of Episode 7... im sure it will be ... awesome!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Just back from seeing it. And as a long time star trek fan I can honestly say I loved it.

If you take this and 2009 star trek for what it is which is a reboot and not an extension of TOS then you will love it. As an answer to the above image if you nitpick and try to spot every mistake in the lore then:

36715573.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Well Im glad Im not alone!

Just back from Lighthouse. Im not a die hard fan, I like the original series and films while love both Next Gen and the last film.

But this was just a huge disappointment. It just felt like a tribute to the past and in ways that just didn't work. Karl Urban was, however, great. But there was so much that frustrated me with this, like other posters I will go into detail when more of you see it.

• Advertisement

I expect it will be critically and financially successful - and i accept that yes, my star trek is dead - there were moments in this film that were ACTUALLY CRINGE-WORTHY

The plot was predictable from about the mid-way point
    The back story made about as much sense as Jeremy Kyle
    The sprinkling of 'nods and winks' ;););););) was farcical
    And the actual climax... if you could call it that... was insane

Hey, if you enjoy it im happy for ye! But
    • I went in with an open mind -
    • Im a die hard star trek fan
    • i know its a reboot
    • I enojoyed the last one (not as much as the original films but still)
    • i was gagging to see this film since christmas

and i am more disappointed in it than i was with Ireland's performance in Euro 2012

No plot revelations - go see it and enjoy - but this film will NEVER be joining my Trekkie DVD collection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The news film was discussed on RTE radio this morning.

The RTE guy kept on calling the film "Into the Darkness"

It really annoyed me!!!!!!!!!!

In other news - I am looking forward to seeing it - huge trek fan, but not a huge fan of the reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

For me it was a movie of 2 halves, the first half surprisingly good the second was just dismal. As already mentioned, the 2nd half is very predictable and for me and those around me, very cringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Why does it say May 17th on preview for Star Trek release date

Why does it say May 17th on preview for Star Trek release date

We got it earlier than the Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well I think that if you went to see it only having been introduced to Star Trek through the last film (like my gf), you'll possibly enjoy it. But as a long time fan of the series there is one scene that is possibly going to really p*** you off. Not so much a tribute as a bastardisation. That being said parts were really enjoyable, though if I go see it again to give it another shot I'm definitely avoiding the 3d, it was okay in parts, but in the opening scene where people are running it's incredibly disorientating

Well I think that if you went to see it only having been introduced to Star Trek through the last film (like my gf), you'll possibly enjoy it. But as a long time fan of the series there is one scene that is possibly going to really p*** you off. Not so much a tribute as a bastardisation. That being said parts were really enjoyable, though if I go see it again to give it another shot I'm definitely avoiding the 3d, it was okay in parts, but in the opening scene where people are running it's incredibly disorientating

Do you mean:
    KKHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!

Oh yeah. I mean it might have been okay if they hadn't dragged it on for so long but you knew that it wasn't going to end
    with Kirk dying, so they sacrificed the emotional impact of the original for a pointless nod to fans

Though I can't give out about it altogether, the end does wrap it in quite nicely to the beginning of TOS. Would it be too much to ask for a new show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just a quick question, heading on Saurday with a few mates- for anyone that has seen it, 2d or 3d recommended?

• Advertisement

I went to the 3d showing and I'd recommend 2d. The 3d wasn't great in parts, especially in the opening few minutes, though that being said I usually have some issues with films in 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I went to the 3d showing and I'd recommend 2d. The 3d wasn't great in parts, especially in the opening few minutes, though that being said I usually have some issues with films in 3d

I was thinking as much, the trailer before Iron Man 3 in 3d was a little......headachey.....so i was thinking of giving the 2d a shout for the first showing at least (assuming i walk away happy enough to see it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lots of disappointing parts too, though. Cumberbatch was amazing and stole the show, but the plot was kinda all over the place. It should have been a five hour movie for all the story they were trying to tell. I can live with the not so subtle nods to TOS, but there was a whole section that made me feel like I was watching Insurrection 2 - that'll only make sense to people that have seen it and even then not everyone. Did anyone else get that feeling?
    A whole big fight against a superior ship where there's no actual fighting and they win with some lame gimmick.

I'd go 2D, another dimension just makes it confusing and rarely adds anything. I say this as someone that usually likes 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I'm a big Star Trek. Hated fan. Hated the 2009 film as it just pissed all over the story. Thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness - though granted I might have been more accepting of the fact that it is a reboot. I think the nods were quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saw it today on the iMax in 3D. Really enjoyed it. Agree that Cumberbatch was really good.

As for 3D. I didn't notice 3D in a big way. They put 3D into the credits in the end. The trailer for Man of Steel had a bunch of 3D which was cool but who knows if it'll also be in the film. I'd say you'd get just as good an experience with Star Trek Into Darkness with 2D.

It seems as though the majority of Trekkies are relatively happy with it, although quite a few do highlight that certain scenes were over stressed and generally annoying
    KHAAAAAAN!, the ending with the 'dead' Kirk, etc

I personally am not a fan of this movie for many differing reasons.
    I felt that it essentially ripped off plot elements from TWOK, and several other notable star trek episodes, including DS9's Homefront/Paradise Lost

I also felt that in general the plot was highly predictable from about mid-way through the film
    Who DIDNT know it was Khan, when he cured the girl of the disease at the start - Who didnt cop the 'dodgy' nature of the Admiral missions and the Section 31 weapons

Even aside from these issues the plot climax was very poor
    COME ON! Fighting on top of a moving ship - and saving the Enterprise by jumping into the RATHER odd looking warp core - Compared to First Contact or The undiscovered Country, the ending wasnt great

In any case my trekkie pals divided into two camps - One set think it was a serious 'Facepalm' film with cringe-worthy nods to
    TOS and The Wraith of Khan
    - i am part of this section

The other group argue that we are not embracing the reboot, and if we dont like it? **** *** and get a new franchise - but even they acknowledge the over stressed nods to the aforementioned Star Trek clips etc

Anyway, its not worth falling out over!:);)
    Says Liamtech while arming the genesis device in order to wipe out the planet and end this plague of reboots

More opinions will be forthcoming as the days go by and trekkies everywhere get their say on the New Face of Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loved it :-D

Saw it in Cineworld IMAX 3D. Could have done without the 3D but didn't bother me too much.

Wasn't a dull moment in it imo. There were surely bits and pieces I could nit pick as a life long Star Trek fan but you know, at the same time, not as many as the last three or four films – or the last two series.

The cast were excellent and characters well presented. I enjoyed almost all the little – and the large – "nods and winks" to old Trek. Enjoyed the story. Enjoyed the twists and glad I've had blinkers on to all speculation, previews and reviews for the past couple of weeks. Definitely some element of allowing myself to be taken along for the ride but **** it – I did, and I enjoyed it loads.

Choice between this, Voyager, enterprise, insurrection or nemesis? A thousand times this.

Reading early speculation about Cumberbatch's character, I thought that would really annoy me if true – but turns out it didn't. They actually handled it well.

Bottom line: seriously enjoyable action-heavy Trek movie. Just love those characters.

Still hope for something more exploration / science based next time but then again, the films have never been great for that.

Looking forward to seeing it again before it leaves the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have no problem with a Star Trek based action movie, I just think a lot of the action in this was not well-executed. I'm pretty sure - though I find it hard to believe - that the Enterprise
    literally never fired a shot. All they did was fly around and then get pummeled for twenty minutes - there was action but there was no real drama/fighting
    . That was kind of frustrating and its why I compare it to Insurrection.

The scene where
    Cumberbatch wiped out the Klingons was really well done - and I just died laughing when he shot the weapon out of Spock's hands.

It's hard to cheer the heroes on when they do a villain that well.

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure - though I find it hard to believe - that the Enterprise
    literally never fired a shot. All they did was fly around and then get pummeled for twenty minutes - there was action but there was no real drama/fighting
    Hmm, I guess you're right although I never really noticed at the time. Maybe because I was sitting so close in the IMAX – second row from the front, which I thought might be awful but actually just upped the excitement, I think the film suited it – but anyway, it felt very action packed to me.
    Enterprise might not have fired an actual shot but they were pretty smack-bang in the middle of the action all the same
    The scene where
    Cumberbatch wiped out the Klingons was really well done - and I just died laughing when he shot the weapon out of Spock's hands.

It's hard to cheer the heroes on when they do a villain that well.
    Heh, if I were to be critical I think these are the two areas I wasn't so enthusiastically happy about. Cumberbacth was decent but
    he was no Ricardo Montalban. Didn't have quite the same gravitas or charisma. Also... wrong nationality :-/. He wasn't bad, just not as good.

And the whole section with
    the Klingons
    felt a little wasted. Might have been the only bit where I felt it'd be better to sit a few rows back to see the full frame at once but also, if you're going to include them just for an almost throw-away scene... why even bother? Didn't really amount to anything in the end. Felt like pandering; I guess not the only time in the movie but it's the one that stuck out for me.

I just think they got the principle Enterprise crew very right. The Kirk, Spock and (lesser extent) McCoy show with the other characters helping out, like TOS should be. And the chemistry was great. Something the TNG films seriously suffered for was this 'need' to give everyone something special to do and a little arc of their own. They never handled that well enough imo. Too many characters.

• Advertisement

I see IMDB page has updated with full cast and character listings. No more "rumoured".

Pity, really. Particularly as it isn't even out in the USA, or most places, yet. It might have been "obvious" to some but still, I enjoyed not knowing certain things for certain fact before they were revealed on-screen.

Advertisement