Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 147 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

novarock wrote: »
    This is nitpicking, In the however many iterations of Star Trek there has been a different image to what warp speed looks like... case in point below... Does this make better sense in terms of physics?

It's not so much the warp effect I have issue with (but I don't like it either ;) ), it's the contrails in space that make no sense. Contrails are made from water vapor!? It should be a streak of light we see coming from the engines not water vapor! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Srianadh

azezil wrote: »
    It's not so much the warp effect I have issue with (but I don't like it either ;) ), it's the contrails in space that make no sense. Contrails are made from water vapor!? It should be a streak of light we see coming from the engines not water vapor! :rolleyes:

I agree that contrails don't make any sense but they could possibly be explained as excess plasma from the nessels too??? (unlikely though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Srianadh wrote: »
    I agree that contrails don't make any sense but they could possibly be explained as excess plasma from the nessels too??? (unlikely though)

Or maybe they just look cool. :rolleyes: Flames on your bike didnt do anything but they looked cool. just saying like.:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Enterprise received a fairly substantial refit at the end of the movie...

http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/19/a-closer-look-at-the-new-uss-enterprise-from-star-trek-into-darkness/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Enterprise received a fairly substantial refit at the end of the movie...
    Cool. Look forward to seeing more of that.

Anyone else think there just wasn't enough "glamour" shots of the Enterprise in either of these films? Scenes too short, camera too tight. They didn't celebrate the ship.

• Advertisement

Went to see Into Darkness again this evening, but in 3D this time. I have to say, the 3D was cool, but either 3D or 2D, I loved it. the end credits were the best part of the 3D.

Its such a good film, action packed, and very funny and I love the characters. My friend keeps telling me to go back and watch TOS and the movies, but I kind of dont want to. I like this version of Kirk's Enterprise that I have been introduced to. I dont want to ruin it. is there a risk I might ruin the Abrams version if I watch TOS and movies????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

SarahBM wrote: »
    Went to see Into Darkness again this evening, but in 3D this time. I have to say, the 3D was cool, but either 3D or 2D, I loved it. the end credits were the best part of the 3D.

Its such a good film, action packed, and very funny and I love the characters. My friend keeps telling me to go back and watch TOS and the movies, but I kind of dont want to. I like this version of Kirk's Enterprise that I have been introduced to. I dont want to ruin it. is there a risk I might ruin the Abrams version if I watch TOS and movies????

simple answer...no!
    you need to see the original characters to appreciate how close to the originals this new cast is!

wesf wrote: »
    simple answer...no!
    you need to see the original characters to appreciate how close to the originals this new cast is!

Agreed. The gf has now watched Space Seed (the Original Series episode with Khan), Star Trek II and not Star Trek III as of this evening. She thoroughly enjoyed them and we are watching IV tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Agreed. The gf has now watched Space Seed (the Original Series episode with Khan), Star Trek II and not Star Trek III as of this evening. She thoroughly enjoyed them and we are watching IV tomorrow.

I'd be a long time waiting for my gf to watch any of them! She has seen the new ones and likes them but she refuses to watch the old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

...is there a risk I might ruin the Abrams version if I watch TOS and movies????

That's akin to not watching Alien in case it messes up Alien Vs Predator or Prometheus for you. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I must admit, I enjoyed the film. It is a really good piece of sci-fi/ turn your brain off action. However, the inner trekkie in me hated the film. The script is too simplistic/been done before, the opening scene is basically the episode Basics from Voyager. There were numerous continuity errors such as Klingons cranial ridges and Praxis being destroyed 30 years before it should be.

I wanted to see something new, not the same stuff I have seen before so many times.

In essence, I love the film and hate it at the same time.

I must admit, I enjoyed the film. It is a really good piece of sci-fi/ turn your brain off action. However, the inner trekkie in me hated the film. The script is too simplistic/been done before, the opening scene is basically the episode Basics from Voyager. There were numerous continuity errors such as Klingons cranial ridges and Praxis being destroyed 30 years before it should be.

I wanted to see something new, not the same stuff I have seen before so many times.

In essence, I love the film and hate it at the same time.

Every single time someone talks about continuity errors in this film, I bang my head off my desk. It's a different timeline!!!!!!!

Also, I have no idea why you are comparing Basics to STID in any way whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

there is NOTHING that states that the moon we see is Praxis. Who is to say that it is?

BUT, lets go with the assumption that it is Praxis.... It doesn't mean that the klingons are going to go cap in hand to the federation. What it COULD mean (note i am talking possibilities here as what will happen hasn't even been committed to ink yet...) is the arrival of a more warlike klingon race more interested in the concept of lebensraum than any JJTrek version of the Khitomer accords....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm sure the destruction of 47 klingon ships at the hands of a Romulan would change a few things for the Klingons. Maybe the they increased mining production on Praxis to rebuild their fleet, causing it to explode earlier in the original timeline.

And maybe that Klingon just had a thing for rings? Doesn't mean they all had it under the helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Given the Narada's impact on JJ Trek I'm wondering whether the USS Vengeance was based on the tech from the Narada. Obviously they could only use what they got from scans and try to adapt with TOS-era technology but even so - Given the size and spec of the ship I'd like to see how it would fare against a Nebula class - or even a Pre-Dominion Galaxy Class.

I don't think it could take on a Galaxy class following the massive weapons and shield upgrades they received after the Odyssey's destruction in DS9 - but I reckon it would be the only vessel from JJ-era that could give the early TNG ships a run for their money.

Anyone with me on this?

Oh, and for reference purposes:

vengeance_scale1a.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hmmmm, I dont think it lived up to the hype. It was alright but nothing exceptional. Cumberbatch was great in the role. However my instant reaction to it being Khan was profound dissapointment. It's like that Simpsons episode where the marketing staff are trying to come up with a new annual event to hawk cheesy merchandise and one of them suggests love day but the head guy says no, think of something more original but they end up going with love day in the end because they weren't bothered coming up with something else. I mean 3 years ago there were discussions on internet fora which accurately predicted that this film would have Khan in it.

That's how I felt about the Khan plot.When the Klingons were introduced I was hoping for an epic full out war with an unstoppable enemy, the Klingons restored to their fearsome glory casting aside the sanitised vanilla pastiche version they had become by the time of Voyager. Instead we got treated to i-phone Klingons, their new design wasn't frightening or war like, all the harsh contours of their heads were smoothed out, made ergonomic and ultimately beige, bland, safe. Even their uniforms, they just looked like bikers, completely dull. They should have gone for futuristic-medieval suits of armour with animal/monster helmets. They should also have been the principal foe and Kirk should have got really messed around by them which would establish a film arc conflict. However this was not to be. Khan wasn't the implacable villain, there was a confused villain element between the admiral and himself, the film couldn't decide which principal villain to select and this led to a compromised antagonism, ie we didn't get to see Khan display his ultimate villainy. It also aped The Wrath of Khan in a rather meh way, ok so in this parallel universe it's Kirk who dies and gets reborn. I did laugh however when Spock said "Khhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    It worked on two levels, the reference to Shatner's hammy delivery and also the idea that Khan is such a bastard he evokes this reaction in anyone including Vulcans! Uhura also received plenty of character development and the actress who played her was quite good. The special effects were as usual perfect. Scotty was actually ok in this film and not annoying. But I just felt ultimately distanced from everything, it just seemed perfunctory, unoriginal and neither here nor there.

Oh yeah and Kirk was very much Zapp Brannigan in this film, under his command loads of crew members died and the ship got trashed but he was still the hero at the end and was rewarded with a new ship! He was also more of a sympathetic character but again they didnt do much to avail of exploring his reactions to being out of his depth and being faced with the real responsibilities of the captain's chair and not dealing with new situations that well due to his inexperience. It just seemed like the film was going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chiefohara05

Have to admit i was disappointed

Cumberbatch was good in the role, but the whole thing seemed like a dumbed down action movie.

Should have kept them on Kronos. That was the most interesting part of the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I loved the new warp out sequence, but yeah, ultimately it was very lazy of them to use STII's storyline. It just felt rehashed and unoriginal. Despite saying that, I have to admit I still enjoyed it, even if only for the visuals. Let's hope the next film (if there is one), will feature a Klingon war of some sort - they certainly left it open as a possibility....

But at the end of the day, Trek belongs on the gogglebox. I drool in anticipation of the day Trek is back on tv where it belongs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

But at the end of the day, Trek belongs on the gogglebox. I drool in anticipation of the day Trek is back on tv where it belongs!

You won't though as it'll be Nu-Trek not Classic Trek. It'd be like Nu-Stargate:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

You won't though as it'll be Nu-Trek not Classic Trek. It'd be like Nu-Stargate:

:p

Thing is though we already had a real nu-Stargate and it was the 2nd or 3rd best sci-fi show of the last decade or so. A new high quality Star Trek show is very doable with the right premise and group of people running it. The problem today is there mightn't be a large enough viewing audience to appreciate and support it. A problem not helped by Abram's latest dumbed down popcorn action movie installment. If standards for the franchise are now that low it'll be hard to lift them back up in most people's minds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Every time I see Ben Browder or Claudia Black in Stargate I die a little. I can't believe Sci-Fi cancelled Farscape after 4 seasons but kept making that other piece of sh*t show and its various spin-offs for another 10 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually liked them in Stargate. Browder was always going to have a hard time being the new main character, as O'Neill is a tough act to follow. But Vala was kind of interesting, at least at first.

As for Farscape, they gave us Peacekeeper Wars, so at least had a proper ending for the show.

where can they go with a new Star Trek series anyway??? a war? wormhole to another Galaxy??
    I dont know.

I have to say I love the reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

where can they go with a new Star Trek series anyway??? a war? wormhole to another Galaxy??
    I dont know.

its star trek...they can go anywhere...Im thinking borg with better tech would be amazing, also jem'hadar?

also, you could have asked the same question after TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise....the (trek) universe is vast.

GreeBo wrote: »
    its star trek...they can go anywhere...Im thinking borg with better tech would be amazing, also jem'hadar?

also, you could have asked the same question after TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise....the (trek) universe is vast.

Ya I guess, but something new. Borg has been done, the whole war thing has been done with DS9.

I guess they must boldly go....... nah, Im not gonna go there! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ya I guess, but something new. Borg has been done, the whole war thing has been done with DS9.

I guess they must boldly go....... nah, Im not gonna go there! :cool:

They could go look for the crystalline entity or the caretaker etc...Q is another open storyline.

or how about a crossover where they go kill Jar Jar Binks? :pac:

Really it just needs good story writers, if you think back a huge amount of TNG was human interest storylines, not necessarily some new tech/culture/war.

GreeBo wrote: »
    They could go look for the crystalline entity or the caretaker etc...Q is another open storyline.

or how about a crossover where they go kill Jar Jar Binks? :pac:

Really it just needs good story writers, if you think back a huge amount of TNG was human interest storylines, not necessarily some new tech/culture/war.

Im all for killing Jar Jar Binx. worst character in the history of Sci Fi

The voyager finale Endgame could be a good kick start point for a new series. Borg are still there, albeit the Federation seem to be giving them a good fight. and there was the Klingon story line too. :rolleyes:

But now that we have a complete new timeline, none of that can be done, can it???

I dont know.

I love the rebooted universe too but we have seen two series that focused on war (DS9) and being stranded (Voyager).

Right now, I think that the world is high on zombies, dystopian societies, fall of civilization and general "it's all going to go to sh!te" in the future. When all that dies down, I think the time could be perfect for a new trek series based on pure discovery, intelligence and optimism. There's alot of space to discover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

if he dies at the end then it cant be same khan, because how suppose come back to life in star trek 2 the wrath of Khan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    if he dies at the end then it cant be same khan, because how suppose come back to life in star trek 2 the wrath of Khan

:rolleyes:
    have you even seen it?
    Firstly he doesn't die. And secondly it is basically a rip of TWOK already.

Advertisement