Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 147 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

nope, i never liked the previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

:rolleyes:
    have you even seen it?
    Firstly he doesn't die. And secondly it is basically a rip of TWOK already.

good isn't it like other movies prequels that ive seen thoughout the years where always kill off main villain

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vedhead1

Anyone see Spock around Galway last week, he was about for the film fleadh? I was in the IMC when he was there, he seems like a nice guy, signed my t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Did you ask him who would win in a fight between Sylar and Spock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Any one know off the top of their head how long till the DVD is out? is there going to be another film with this crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SarahBM wrote: »
    ? is there going to be another film with this crew?
    most definitely, they're making too much money not to bother. expect at least 2-3 more

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

most definitely, they're making too much money not to bother. expect at least 2-3 more

Does anyone think they'll make a new tv series out of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think Chris Pine has signed up for at least another one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Unfortunately, nowhere near as much as they were hoping for. Paramount see STID as a disappointment overall. It did much better overseas than the 2009 but not as well as they had hoped in the States. I think it marely broke $400m and it didn't double it's initial investment. They also lost a large proportion of their under 25 viewers which is also a worry.

Don't get me wrong, as a franchise, it's making far more than the TNG movies (Nemesis made a paltry $80 worldwide) but it should be making more for them. Look at Superman and Iron Man. I felt Trek was a better film but they made way more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

US box office isn't as important as it used to be, though. Hollywood films are made for a global audience now, so the worldwide gross is the main thing. The film should come away with at least 100 million more than the previous film which is hardly a disappointment. I'd say Paramount are delighted the film did so well internationally.

Lets say it cost 290, then it probably needs about €580 to break even, which it won't do during its theatrical run but it easily will on DVD/Blu-ray. After that it's all profit for the studio.

I cannot wait for the DVD release! someone told me today its not til September. :( I have to wait that long!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, as a franchise, it's making far more than the TNG movies (Nemesis made a paltry $80 worldwide)...

Jeez, i thought it did better then that :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After now watching all the main blockbuster movies of this Summer, I have to say that STID was my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok, watched this last night. I'd avoided all reviews, spoilers & threads on boards about it...so I was going in totally blind. Being a huge, huge Trek fan, I've seen all the seasons of all the shows many many times, same with all the films, & would consider myself to have a pretty in depth knowledge of what Trek is, & the entire canon.

Firstly, the bad:

Ok so there are a few little niggly things; they were gonna bust Captain Kirk back to the Academy...that just wouldn't happen in Trek, ever. Simon Pegg seems woefully miscast again, he's just nothing like Scotty at all, and a few really small nit picks like that. Certainly nothing really worth mentioning much.

Now, the good:

Wow, not only did it surpass my expectations, it blew them outta the water. I thought it was extremely cleverly done, a brilliant alternate take on the Khan story. Not quite up to the original version for me, but so surprisingly good it makes no odds.

The cast were absolutely fantastic, in particular Pine & Quinto, yet again. I thought they were very good in their first outing, but this raised the bar. Again Pegg just isn't right for the role of Scotty, I did warm to his character throughout the film, but it's just not Scotty at all for me.

Cumberpatch didn't match the sheer villainy of Montalban, but still portrayed the role very well I thought. It's a different Khan though, so I suppose there was a bit of a carte blanche there.

The film kept me guessing {apart from reviving Kirk, I knew that had to be how they'd do it}, I wasn't expecting the Khan twist right up until it happened, was really nice to see Nimoy in action one more time too. I thought perhaps it was a tad slow to get going, but when it did it kept it up all the way to the end.

I thought there were some really nice homages to the original story too, & I thought Kirk's death scene was fantastically done, & we even got a new KKKHHHAAAAAAANNN. My preconceptions about what this film was going to be were shattered, I probably went in a bit more pessimistic than optimistic if I'm honest, all set to protect my precious Trek to the fullest nerd rage would allow me....but you know what? I dropped my guard early on. This is different, yes, but it is Trek, definitely it is. I say that as a huge fan of everything Trek, so I don't say it lightly, but this film, was without a doubt the best I've seen all year {in terms of AAA blockbusters}.

I think Roddenberry would have loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Great post. Agree with nearly everything you said. I watched this the same day as Iron man 3 in the cinema as like a double feature and Star trek is the much superior film. I enjoyed it so much more.

Kirby wrote: »
    Great post. Agree with nearly everything you said. I watched this the same day as Iron man 3 in the cinema as like a double feature and Star trek is the much superior film. I enjoyed it so much more.

I forgot to mention, I also think its a far superior film, to any of the TNG films, including FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

it blows all the other films out of the water,leavin all the slick cgi and special fx to one side,its still head and shoulders above the rest.
    writing the original spock into the story is what makes the film,i hope we get a few more star trek films like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Agree with earlier comments on Pegg being miscast!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    Firstly, the bad:

Ok so there are a few little niggly things;

little... niggly... :pac:
    there are holes big enough to fly Deep Space Nine through.

It's an enjoyable film but extremely superficial and if you stop and think about any of it the veneer burns away very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Easily the worse star trek movie ever made tbh well maybe on par with the god one but somehow managed to insult my intelligence even worse i will never wast money on another jj abrams sparkly sounding warp effect lens flared dumb ass movie

little... niggly... :pac:
    there are holes big enough to fly Deep Space Nine through.

It's an enjoyable film but extremely superficial and if you stop and think about any of it the veneer burns away very quickly.

If you want, I can critique every other ST film & point out said DS9 size holes in each & every one of them :D
    bizmark wrote: »
    Easily the worse star trek movie ever made tbh well maybe on par with the god one but somehow managed to insult my intelligence even worse i will never wast money on another jj abrams sparkly sounding warp effect lens flared dumb ass movie

I just don't see how, it easily trumps any of the TNG films.

ill just leave my film forum review of this tripe here to try and explain why i think its the worse thing to happen to star trek since voyager ..

i watched this film tonight..

My god it was the dumbest thing iv ever seen made pacific rim seem like Shakespeare in story telling quality which is impressive (love pacific rim incidentally but still) just one dumb reason for one splosion after another everything had to be BIGGER! bigger splosions bigger ships bigger crashs ! less lens flair thankfully bigger sets for the final "sacrifice" that means nothing even then they did it in the dumbest way possible kick the warp core back on line? cringe worthy KHAAAAAAAAN really piss off jj abrams i swear he should of just been a games developer for bros of war hes lost on this story telling lark .

Terrible dumb film nothing happens apart from stupid crap instant demotions and promotions starting scenes that mean nothing battles that mean nothing klingons that do nothing khan bearly does anything he did absolutely nothing that made him menceing apart from takeing a beating from kirk which doesnt shock me jj abrams doesnt know how to impart anysort of mence or tension or anything with out a over the top explosion or gun battle.

Also how can a director completely miss the symbolism of giving khan a smaller ship? hes better than you he doesn't need a equal ship he doesn't need a ship "4 times the size and 3 times the power" of enterprise he can do it with something small and relatively unassuming and he got tricked by the most obvious trick in the book it wasnt even an ego driven mistake he was just an idoit like everything else in this movie.

Easily worse than nemesis or insurrection imho..

And just to expand on it you cant rip off a emotional scene between characters that have genuine reasons to miss each other useing two shallow action movie versions of them that have on film and in universe experienced none of the same trials as their real universe equivs and expect it to work it doesn't i didn't care if kirk died or spock or scotty none of them mean a damn kirks an idiotic captain frat boy spocks a bore scotty is badly cast and no one else does anything of note which is fine if you watched them do nothing of note over the course of 4 or 7 years you still grow to love them but in this it just means they are window dressing.

On top of that there's just so many conveniences or plain "these movie goers are dumb dont worry about making the story fit together the morons will never notice" moments
    Why would you damage the enterprise to the point uselessness on the eve of a war enterprise is relatively new and powerful your made of stupid if your grand plan is to weaken yourself on the eve of your pointless war.
    Why wouldnt they question khan for makeing a torpedo just right sized to fit a human in it and unscanable to boot i believe.
    Why are torpedos fired like a ****ing age of sale broadside all of a sudden
    Why is khan the super smart man capable of building and designing a ship larger than the ENTIRE federation of the tng area and weapons to turn the course of a potential war in a little over a year so stupid he doesn't relies a torpedo might ya know explode special if your threatening the people to get them ? this is a big problem khan is nothing in this hes a moron every thing he does is stupid or plot convience theirs no cunning no tiny ship doing what a tiny ship shouldnt be able to do no ego driven mistakes just "hehe he beat up klingons hes strong and so hes a threat!"
    How the **** does the enterprise get pulled down to earth when they stop by the moon why where they even warping that close to a planet in the first place (nit picking but still)
    etc etc etc

People here compering this load of rubbish to iron man 3 must of watched a completely different film to me its not worthy of wipeing the feet of star trek 2

Oh also i would say that cumberbatch was hired to play khan simply because hes a fairly large and quite imposing looking man cause that's how jj works cumberbatch looks imposing he looks a physical threat and thats the only way jj Abrams knows how to impart menace to something either that or he thinks so lowly of you that he believes a large man beating up someone and taking a kicking from another fairly imposing looking fella will make you think hes a planet wide threat

I have to say I completely disagree with your take on the film, but I respect your opinion. And, for the record, I love Voyager :)

And I am not being bitchy, but would it kill you to use a full stop every now and again? It is very hard to read such a long review with no punctuation.

SarahBM wrote: »
    I have to say I completely disagree with your take on the film, but I respect your opinion. And, for the record, I love Voyager :)

And I am not being bitchy, but would it kill you to use a full stop every now and again? It is very hard to read such a long review with no punctuation.

I get a bit carried away and forget about such nicety for the English language i could say id try harder in the future but truth be told i don't think it will change now.

Either way im glad you liked it and im glad it did relatively well but im also very glad jj is likely gone now and hopefully the next one could have a story and good action

I just thought of a way to have given this film a decent moralistic story while maintaining the basic action orientated arc. Why not make it about the rights and wrongs of using the new advanced weapons (lets just say a drone weapon) against this terrorist in a foreign sovereign nation who could respond with military or terrorist force in kind or maybe cant respond at all. Kirk could of thought the ends justified the means due to losing his friend in a terrorist attack and also cause kirks a bit gunho personality wise spock being logical and more restrained could of figured it was immoral and railed against it even though he lost his mother and entire planet in a terrorist attack finally making a sacrifice to prevent there use or to prevent kirk and the federation becomeing what he was trying to stop.

The film was kinda like that for around 5 mins and then forgot all about it they should of just ran with it.

Could of been a very good story about how to beat terrorism you shouldn't become a terrorist yourself and drone striking the Klingon equiv of a afgan goat farmer is going a bit to far while pontificating about your moralistic federation section 31 could of been the nsa surveillance of a sort etc.

Be a action story based in real world events and you can still have splosions and cgi

win win ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone see the criticism over the exclusivity of content on blu ray versions specific to certain retailers.

From the amazon reviews:

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity 1 Sep 2013
    By Vincent Perkins
    Format:Blu-ray
    Love the film so that's why it's gets a three stars but how the special features have been released is a joke.
    On the disk you get 35mins of extras
    Creating the Red Planet
    Attack on Starfleet
    The Klingon Home World
    The Enemy of My Enemy
    Ship to Ship
    Brawl by the Bay
    Sainsburys will have an exclusive bonuse disk with another 35mins of extras
    The Voyage Begins… Again
    Rebuilding the Enterprise
    Vengeance is Coming
    Me. Spock and Mr. Spock
    Kirk and Spock
    Visual Affection
    Tesco / Blinkbox gets 20mins extras wich I think are
    Down With the Ship
    NIF: Home of the Core
    Safety First
    Unlocking the Cut
    The Sound of Music and FX
    Aliens Encountered
    iTunes gets the audio commentary
    In the us Walmart version is the only one I found that says it features deleted scenes and gag reel so I don't know where that version is in the uk. It a joke. But then there more if you want the special case like a metal one or one that comes with a ship then you can only get that from play and even at £50 it still dosent come with the special features. So annoying as a fan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Darkness-Blu-ray-Digital-Region/dp/B009934S5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378115890&sr=8-2&keywords=star+trek+into+darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Why, you ask? I'll give you two words every consumer loves to hear: retailer exclusives.

It's certainly nothing new to Trek fans; ever since the first DVD boxed sets started coming out over a decade ago, words like "Best Buy bonus disc" became synonymous with Star Trek media releases. Even the newly-produced Enterprise and Next Generation Blu-ray sets were hampered by exclusive content (specifically paid for by Best Buy for release at their stores), though that program has thankfully ended for the foreseeable future.

Sadly this isn't a case of a single feature being produced for a specific retailer: for Star Trek Into Darkness, an entire hour's worth of additional making-of footage is relegated to Best Buy's CinemaNow streaming service and Target in-store bonus discs releases (with each retailer offering DIFFERENT content).

On top of that - and brace yourself for this one - the sole audio commentary track is locked into the iTunes digital release package.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/08/review-star-trek-into-darkness-retail-blu-ray/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Afaik the commentary is only on the US iTunes release as well.

What annoys me most about this is that they still expect us to pay full price for the Blu-ray. So it's not like they did this because they were worried about the added cost of a 2-disc edition impacting sales. Nope, they are just screwing us.

I don't care that much about extras but I'll be waiting until this BD is £6 before I consider purchasing.

Advertisement