Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th on panel. VEC job.. Bad?

• 05-10-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

A colleague who substitutes in the same school as me went for a job and received a letter to say she was unsuccessful this time bla bla but she had been placed 8th on the panel ..

She is really disappointed at this to the point of reconsidering her career! A younger girl with a lot less experience got the job so I suppose I can see why it looks bad but her argument is this ...

If she is has done an interview now with the VEC and came 8th on the panel, it's hardly likely she'll ever come top of the panel or get a job in the future having done so badly. She thought she did a good interview also. So is this the case? Does her future as a teach look bleak?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

She could take solace in the fact she even got an interview and got on the panel in the first place. I know that won't mean much, but given how hard jobs are to come by, at least she came eighth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Yeah that's true. I think she's lost all hope of getting a job thinking she did so bad in this one. As have I, we've both been subbing in our local area since 2007 and 2006. Getting unbelievable .. And now even subbing is very thin on the ground. I haven't had a call this year so far.. Please god next week is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it's a big VEC, there may be a chance of a maternity leave/sick leave coming up for her - the 7 before her on the panel could have found employment by then and may not be available. The other thing is that the panels only last for a year, so she won't always be eighth.

I wouldn't lose heart over her teaching ability it as it's the opinion of a panel, not a group of people who have actually seen her teaching. She should enquire about her marks from the VEC, I'm not sure if new applicants can get them, but it could be worth her while.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Rodar08 wrote: »
    A colleague who substitutes in the same school as me went for a job and received a letter to say she was unsuccessful this time bla bla but she had been placed 8th on the panel ..

She is really disappointed at this to the point of reconsidering her career! A younger girl with a lot less experience got the job so I suppose I can see why it looks bad but her argument is this ...

If she is has done an interview now with the VEC and came 8th on the panel, it's hardly likely she'll ever come top of the panel or get a job in the future having done so badly. She thought she did a good interview also. So is this the case? Does her future as a teach look bleak?

Thanks
    Do you mind me asking if it is Dublin VEC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Just wondering how did you find out what position you were on the panel. Had an interview two weeks ago and got a letter that I was put on the panel. Will the VEC tell you what position you are on the panel? I've now had 3 VEC interviews - would it be worth my while ringing them to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Some VEC's tell you in your letter, others don't. OP your colleague may well get a call.

Perhaps it would be worth looking at why they came eight place. I know it's difficult to say but maybe it would be worth writing down the questions and the answers given and running them by someone.

My information is that people rarely go into interviews year after year and improve, they seem to think that they're doing good interviews even though they aren't getting the jobs and change nothing. If you are not getting top few places there might be something that you are doing or not doing. Could be simple, could be major, but there just might be something.

I don't know, just what I was told by a person who interviews - a lot. It might be worth some thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

As have I, we've both been subbing in our local area since 2007 and 2006. Getting unbelievable .. And now even subbing is very thin on the ground. I haven't had a call this year so far.. Please god next week is better.

That's deeply disheartening. Two questions:

First, assuming you're a fully qualified TC-registered teacher, could your subjects be the problem? I find it more often than not is the problem. If so, could you not add a subject or two?
    Second, can you not look beyond your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

spring21 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking if it is Dublin VEC?

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

People being given jobs in the VEC sector shocker. This practice has been going on since it was brought into existence. Let a politician near anything and back handers wont be too long being handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Sorry guys, didn't get notified about more replies.. It was Donegal Vec.

Well I'm not prepared to move myself.. I love it here and we're hoping to start a family soon, we have a house mortgage etc. it's a pity that in this day and age a fully qualified teacher has to move away to find work. I am only qualified in English and I know it would benefit me having 2 qualifications rather than one. But wouldn't I have to start from scratch doing a whole new degree? Ugh.. Hard times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Well I'm not prepared to move myself.. I love it here and we're hoping to start a family soon, we have a house mortgage etc. it's a pity that in this day and age a fully qualified teacher has to move away to find work.

That's been the way since long before the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Well I'm not prepared to move myself
    Well that will severely limit your teaching opportunities. Over the past few years I have been teaching in Dublin, Wexford, Carlow, London and will probably add more to that over the coming years. Far from perfect and not at all what I want but that is the way teaching has gone now. I have been lucky to always be working, just rarely in my perfect location.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Well that will severely limit your teaching opportunities. Over the past few years I have been teaching in Dublin, Wexford, Carlow, London and will probably add more to that over the coming years. Far from perfect and not at all what I want but that is the way teaching has gone now. I have been lucky to always be working, just rarely in my perfect location.

Agreed. I've moved abroad and been to interviews all over Ireland. I honestly think that unless you're prepared to do that, there is no point going into teaching these days.

And as for coming 8th on a panel, I really wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a job from it. I came 3rd on a panel once and got a job out of it, but any I've never heard of anyone coming further down than that and getting something out of it.

Advertisement