Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate of Dubai

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey there. I moved to Dubai in early September. I'm just wondering how you folks would find the climate here, given its stability and the fact that you all seem to love storms, heavy rain, and snow.

Any climatic patterns here that appeal? Any request for photos? Must say I love the weather here. Even when it was unbearably hot in early September, I loved it. The wind as it hits your face is hot, and I never felt anything like that before.

The nights are starting to feel nice and balmy now, where even a few weeks ago the nighttime air was almost as hot as it was in the daytime. It's amazing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

just wait till it rains, it happens every 27 years or so, the desert is a lake and as there are no drains, expect to be knee deep in the streets. Also there is the Shamal, a sand storm, Stay in when it happens. In Abu dhabi, you'll be getting sea fog, where you can't see your hand in front of your face,not sure about Dubai.
    You get frost in the desert in early morinng and 25 degrees by lunch time in the winter.
    I was there late 70's early 80's.
    Believe me, the climate is quite unbearable. up to 50 degrees in Summer, and the air conditioning is the only thing that makes work possible. Go to refrigerated pools and don't expect to hang your washing out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

just wait till it rains, it happens every 27 years or so, the desert is a lake and as there are no drains, expect to be knee deep in the streets.

It rains anually here. Not much, but annually. It rained last April.
    You get frost in the desert in early morinng and 25 degrees by lunch time in the winter.
    Record low is 7 degrees according to wikipedia.
    I was there late 70's early 80's.
    Believe me, the climate is quite unbearable. up to 50 degrees in Summer, and the air conditioning is the only thing that makes work possible. Go to refrigerated pools and don't expect to hang your washing out to dry.
    It's changed a lot since the 70s and 80s! The climate seems very nice so far. Granted, people hate the summer, but everyone looks forward to the winter :)

I've seen frost in land in the empty quarter . I don't think the climate will have changed that much, when I first arrived, there were no pavements round buildings. I soon discovered that people didn't walk anywhere but used a car even to travel 100 yards. The bit of rain is more like drizzle and dries off immediately, the proper rain is monsoon like and often happens around February. A month later the desert blooms and is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Obviously it rains more often than every 27 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've been there twice - in early September and early May. The humidity in September is something crazy. I was down at the fish market one evening and the humidity seemed to make the stench of fish even worse! May was nice in comparison, still around 40 but not so humid. Mostly clear skies or some mid or high level clouds. Very little cumulus or stratocumulus, though there is some low stratus as fog lifts. Most days though it's just wall to wall sunshine.

It's amazing how the sea breeze circulation oscillates with amazing regularity every day, with a huge variation in dewpoints, from around zero during the night/early morning to the mid 20s in the afternoon evening as the wind swings from southeasterly to westerly/northwesterly. This coupled with the high level of suspended particles/dust leads to very thick fog, even with temperatures of almost 30 °C. The synops from the UAE are all from the airports and they never state visibility greater than 10 km, but that seems to be as they're taken from the metars, where 10 km is the maximum reported visibility. There are some days where visibility is much greater, but it still gets reported as 10 km. :mad: Other days it's right down with dust and sand though.

Somewhere like Al Ain has a much drier climate, but it too can suffer from opressive humidity around this time of year. There is some plentiful rainfall in the mountains bordering Oman, which flows to the lowlands through the wadis, which are enormous in places. Some amazing landscape on the way from Dubai to Hatta, with an abrupt decrease in humidity and increase in visibility a few kilometres inland from Dubai.

http://www.ncms.ae/english/

Advertisement