Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:18am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU/Mobo/Ram to a more modern spec. I'm not a heavy gamer on the PC so I don't think I need a GPU upgrade. I do use it for Photoshop, After Effects etc and after upgrading to CS6 I feel it's struggling a bit

Currently no OC'ing

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
    Crucial Ballistix 6GB (2x1GB & 2x2gb) DDR2
    ATI HD 5770 1gb
    Corsair HX 520W
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

The parts I am looking at are
    i5 - 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H or Asrock Extreme4 (not sure about which is better)
    Corsair Vengeance 8gb Low profile
    No idea if I need a new cooler
    Corsair 500R case

I don't plan on OC'ing but I'd like the option. I also have no plans for SLI or XFire but again the option would be nice just in case.

I'd also like some advice on whether I should upgrade the GPU and PSU

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd say to try overclocking. Many people get towards 4GHz with that CPU.

If you feel the 30% boost really isn't enough, then go for the upgrade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

OK thanks - am I just putting off the inevitable though? Seems like a good time to upgrade in terms of value.

Well you know yourself how much of an upgrade you need. The 3570K would be a big jump. On the other hand, if you waited 6 months, Intel would have new CPUs.
    Maybe what you might need is an SSD to boost the opening times of these programs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

SSD, good idea.

Would I get the most of an SSD out of that motherboard? Pretty sure it doesn't have SATA6

No, but you do get the biggest benefit which is the fast access times. You could take it to a new system too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement