Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help setting up network

• 05-10-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi all can anyone please tell me what is the best why to set up this network in pic 1 this is my old set up all working well with no probs. what i would like to do is have everything giga setup and do a way with 2 the 10/100 switches

in pic 2 is what iam looking to do with my network can it be done ??? and what is best why . (please rember 100% noob doing this sort of thing) thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So is the second network not working? Or have you tried it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

no cant get it to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

what i need to to is

1 i need the cisco valet plus hooked to the cisco epc3925 (going to kill the wifi in the cisco epc3925) this is going to work the up stairs of the house

2 need to find out how to use the cisco valet plus with dd-wrt (this is going to run a vpn)

3 next is the d-link this is going to be used as a hardwire set up as well as wifi down stairs . so need to find out what configuration i need to do to get all 3 working

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

What's the problem with the new setup exactly? It should in theory, as you've drawn it, work flawlessly.

Does the Cisco Valet connect to the Internet? Is the EPC3925 in Bridge mode or just standard Router mode (default)?

If you're only using one of the ports on the EPC3925, then by all means, bridge it with the Valet. I've written a guide on how to do this, since UPC hid the option to set it to Bridge mode in the menu:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

Before you set the EPC3925 to bridge, be sure to turn off all routing functions first (especially WiFi, but also consider disabling the DHCP server, firewall, and any port forwards you have active, just to be safe). For some reason, concerning WiFi at the least, it won't get disabled automatically when set to Bridge mode.

Then set the Valet to dynamically get the IP and DNS, once you hook the EPC from one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on the Valet. It should be connected to the Internet within seconds and then route it to any other devices connected via its DHCP server. Now, if you want the D-Link to work, here's what you need to do exactly:

1. Set the D-Link to a static IP configuration. This is similar to setting a static IP on your computer's OS. You'll set the Gateway IP to the Valet's IP address (should be in the 192.168.x.x subnet, for example, it might be: 192.168.1.1), Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 (again, assuming the Valet's subnet is 192.168.x.x), and the D-Link's IP address on the Valet should be a number of your own choosing on the last octet of the same subnet as the Valet's IP address (make sure it's outside the Valet's DHCP address range - something you'll need to check up on for yourself, for example: 192.168.1.200 or 192.168.1.10, etc.). You'll also need to set the Primary DNS to the same IP as the Valet's (which is 192.168.1.1 in my example, above). You can leave the Secondary DNS blank.

See my Step 1 example from within a Netgear WNDR3700:
    lansetup1.th.png

2. Whatever you chose for the D-Link's IP address in connecting to the Valet, set the Valet's DMZ to that same IP. This will be to allow a complete passthrough of the Valet's firewall to the EPC/Internet. This will mean that any port forwards or UPnPs will not get blocked by the Valet for devices connected to the D-Link. The D-Link will handle all of that routing stuff for its connected devices and without the DMZ set, the Valet would be a traffic obstruction, so it's quite important to do this step as skipping it will affect any connected devices to the D-Link enormously.

See my Step 2 example from within a Netgear WNDR3700:
    lansetup2.th.png

3. Set the D-Link's own LAN IP address to use a different subnet from the Valet. If the Valet's subnet is 192.168.1.x, then use 192.168.2.x (192.168.2.1 would be a good choice in this example). This is how connected devices will access it and all said devices will be assigned LAN IPs within the same subnet. Skipping this step will cause IP address conflicts and your D-Link portion of the network will not work.

With all that done correctly, your network should be fully-functional.

Advertisement