Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny on the cover of Time magazine: 'The Celtic Comeback'

• 05-10-2012 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Enda Kenny has been featured on the cover of this week's Time magazine. The story's headline reads 'The Celtic Comeback'. It also says 'Prime Minister Enda Kenny is rebuilding his country’s economy. What the rest of Europe can learn from him.'

To see the cover, click here.

Good for Ireland, or a load of nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He looks like Podge :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Hat a load of crap,obviously timeagazine have never been passed Dublin or bothered to look at the level of debt the Irish nation is in because of idiots like Kenney giving there nod to the bank guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

He looks like he's off that stroke ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

The Celtic Cunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Any links to the article?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sappa wrote: »
    Hat a load of crap,obviously timeagazine have never been passed Dublin or bothered to look at the level of debt the Irish nation is in because of idiots like Kenney giving there nod to the bank guarantee.

I'm pretty sure it was somebody else who gave the nod to the bank guarantee.

I'd say they have looked at the level of debt that Ireland is in. That's what the article seems to be about - Rebuilding the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Ah at least he will be able to look at the pictures.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's Taoiseach.

Americans don't speak Irish though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's Taoiseach.

Thats not the American edition though, its the european one. They still don't speak Irish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I thought it was a pisstake. There's even a typo on the cover.

'What the rest of Europe can learn from him.'

How about, not make the same mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Time magazine is a kids magazine.
    There is a Time advanced(adult edition) but it was not launched in Europea yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Celtic Coward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Am I missing something here..
    Seriously, what have the current government done to recover the country?

Much of what they are doing was initiated under the last government, not that I'm saying its good or bad..

It doesnt seem that anything proactive is being done, well the gathering I suppose but it makes me cringe to the bone...

From the perspective of recovering the economy I see nothing this government have done... NOTHING

There have been some small wins regarding employment in the major urban centres, probably way less than jobs lost. rural Ireland is being left as a wasteland, no initiaves at all to reverse the steep decline in employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They love him because the gobsh1te keeps paying the bondholders:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

any positive message to the rest of the world is welcome.

Inda's the same clown though, just a different circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

can't believe anyone fell for this obvious photoshop

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

He is the Prime Minister, the official title is Taoiseach. That's the what we call the Prime Minister in this country hence both are correct. Leaving that piece of trivia aside.

The rest of the article is nonsense. Good for Kenny's ego but utter BS. There is no comeback. This country in not in recovery, as some expert said lately it's bouncing along the bottom. Massive unemployment which would be worse if it wasn't for the 250 people a day emigrating. A government paralysed by it's inability to do anything about the it's massive public spending bill. A government too busy in fighting rather than working together to fix the problems. A government with no wit or imagination led by man clearly out of his depth.

What the article does prove is that Time magazine has been fooled too by the same spin that's fooling the EU.

There will be a reckoning soon, probably with this December's budget. Enda should enjoy his moment in the spotlight. It won't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

RGDATA! wrote: »
    can't believe anyone fell for this obvious photoshop

:o

It's not a photoshop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I'm pretty sure it was somebody else who gave the nod to the bank guarantee.

I'd say they have looked at the level of debt that Ireland is in. That's what the article seems to be about - Rebuilding the economy.
    Ehh he voted on it as a member of the dail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Makes a nice change from a minister appearing in Stubbs gazette I suppose. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think Time Magazine are getting confused here. Getting mixed up between Enda and Neil Lennon, ie the Celtic Comeback....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I prefer it when he's on the front cover of Phoenix.

I'm sure there has been some political influence at some level to have this done... Surely their journalism skills arent that poor that they beleive the article themselves...
    Sort off showing Greece that the Irish were right to bow down, look even time magazine recognise the good job they've done.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Des Bishop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Des Bishop?

If Des Bishop wasn't enough of a knob end, he had to go and learn Irish just to "show us how it can be done" and piss us off even more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Tazz T wrote: »
    I thought it was a pisstake. There's even a typo on the cover.

'What the rest of Europe can learn from him.'

How about, not make the same mistakes.

he did'nt create this mess, FF did........you're a short memory, or maybe a selective one?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Hopefully this article will trick some misinformed foreign multinational into thinking that all is fine and dandy and will set up here! Could get a few jobs at least out of this shocking article!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Well at least it is a more positive image than Brian Clowen appearing drunk on the David Letterman show.

The economy is at a bad level for the working person but statistically it ploughing on despite negative headwinds. Once the global recovery begins Ireland will latch onto it quickly and pull the country back. As soon as this happens the stupid Irish electorate will re-elect Fianna Fail so they blow yet another boom.

I am certain Mitt Romney will sweep to power and this will be catalyst for global recovery as he tells the subsidized corporations to get lost and if GWB stayed in power for longer none of this global crisis would have heppened as he would have done exactly nothing as he did with Lehman Bros. and let them sink or swim. The market would quickly consolidate and correct itself and the rotten banks would have gone bust. Government interference and meddling is what has caused most of these problems.

There is no alternative, who would people prefer Fine Gael or the Fianna Fail traitors who have ruined the country on multiple occasions. Fine Gael being their whipping boys who get to clean up the mess and set-up another boom only for FF to squander it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Time Magazine made Hitler their man of the year in 1938. Stalin won it a few times as well. Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Davyhal wrote: »
    Hopefully this article will trick some misinformed foreign multinational into thinking that all is fine and dandy and will set up here! Could get a few jobs at least out of this shocking article!

Did you read the article?
    Lumbo wrote: »
    Time Magazine made Hitler their man of the year in 1938. Stalin won it a few times as well. Says it all.

Are you comparing a well-meaning, if bumbling, man from Mayo to two of the great tyrants of the 20th century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think time magazine are playing a role in getting this budget passed and adhered to by the public . This will help the bondholders get paid .
    No journalistic merit just a bit of propaganda for Enda to say " lookit how good Im doing , Im the best leader in Europe . Now who has a spare few quid so I can tax it ".

Stinicker wrote: »
    There is no alternative, who would people prefer Fine Gael or the Fianna Fail traitors who have ruined the country on multiple occasions. Fine Gael being their whipping boys who get to clean up the mess and set-up another boom only for FF to squander it again.

Ahhh now come on.. I think the current debacle with O'Reilly has finally shown that they are all as corrupt as each other... I've said before that the only reason FG have a half clean record is the fact that they weren't in power.. If they had been closer to the trough during the "boom" they would have been georging themselves on the slops of power just the same as FF did.
    Claiming that they are better than a bad previous government does not make them a GOOD government, its very different.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Did you read the article?

Are you comparing a well-meaning, if bumbling, man from Mayo to two of the great tyrants of the 20th century?

Yes

:pac:

• Advertisement

Turns out he's only on the cover in the European edition, not the American one.

Des Bishop?

He's not really American. Des Bishop is a character created by Larry Daly, a comedian from Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Says what all?

Vladmir Putin was also man of the year. Winning man of the year does not necessarily mean Time admire you. It's designed to stimulate debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Most influential man of the year if I recall correctly which in itself was correct. They weren't saying he was a good guy....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Davyhal wrote: »

......its all in the game yo.....omar little

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bbam wrote: »
    Seriously, what have the current government done to recover the country?

You make it sound like we were clamped by ze Germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Osama Bin Laden was considered for Man of the year in 2001.

As Corkfeen says, MOTY is meant to reflect the person who had the greatest impact (positively or negatively) in a given year. Mahatma Ghandi won it one year too. That has absolutely no bearing on Inda being on the cover this month.

There's been plenty of bitching about the Government, but plenty of evidence that they've halted the freefall the FF government left us. The title of the article is massively premature, but I don't think it's mad to discuss the simple fact that things are looking better now than they were before this government came in.

I've upset Enda fans.

Sorry AH. Enda is not a monster. He's just a very naughty boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I've upset Enda fans.
    No. You just got some facts wrong and you were corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The good publicity is badly needed. This is a massive turnaround from November 2010 and hopefully it will make business leaders look at Ireland when deciding where to invest. Fair play to Enda, I see the usual moaners have turned up right on cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Enda's TM appearance being discussed on David Harvey on 4fm now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Um...that was the previous government: Fianna Failure, remember them?

dvpower wrote: »

No I didn't. Both Hitler and Stalin won Man (Person) of the year. These facts are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »

Has an Enda poster on the bedroom wall ^^ :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement