Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny on the cover of Time magazine: 'The Celtic Comeback'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Stinicker wrote: »
    The economy is at a bad level for the working person but statistically it ploughing on despite negative headwinds. Once the global recovery begins Ireland will latch onto it quickly and pull the country back. As soon as this happens the stupid Irish electorate will re-elect Fianna Fail so they blow yet another boom.
    Yup, Fianna Failure are waiting in the long grass. They started winding their necks out again criticising the government in the last few weeks.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Time Magazine made Hitler their man of the year in 1938. Stalin won it a few times as well. Says it all.
    Time 'man of the year':
    Person of the Year (formerly Man of the Year) is an annual issue of the United States newsmagazine Time that features and profiles a person, group, idea or object that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year."[1]
    Some people seem to think it's a plaudit of some kind. It's not.
    Despite the magazine's frequent statements to the contrary, the designation is often regarded as an honor, and spoken of as an award or prize, simply based on many previous selections of admirable people.[5] However Time magazine points out those such as Adolf Hitler in 1938, and Joseph Stalin in 1939 and again in 1942, and the Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979 have also been granted the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

First Rosanna, now this.
    More Irish tits on the cover of big publications...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

This is crazy, how did that dimwit (do I have to back up this statement?) end up on the front time? Is time the new daily mail I wonder/.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Even the normal blueshirt aplogists that frequent these forums are absent.
    must be seriously embarassed by this one.
    wonder if Time magazine is owned by the Bondholders...:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

washman3 wrote: »

In fairness it was Fianna Fail who sold us out without a fight.

Good to see that the resident Fianna Failures are out in force though! ;)

In fairness it was Fianna Fail who sold us out without a fight.

without doubt, and hopefully they have been consigned to the dustbin of hostory forever.
    but we elected this present shower on a promise that they WOULD fight, not hide behind the curtains at EU summits...

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Turns out he's only on the cover in the European edition, not the American one.

Nah, neither. its just on the cover of the Mayo edition. :p

• Advertisement

The good publicity is badly needed. This is a massive turnaround from November 2010 and hopefully it will make business leaders look at Ireland when deciding where to invest. Fair play to Enda, I see the usual moaners have turned up right on cue.

Sounds like you've swallowed the entire jar of pills bud.;)
    this is propaganda of the higest order with an entirely different agenda.
    business leaders/investors/economists will see this from a mile away for what it really is, a cynical ploy from the European elite to maintain the status quo.

i do wish yo were right though, but even my dog is having a laugh at this one.!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Any geniuses on this thread realise that positive news creates opportunity? Or are we all still blaming Fianna Gael for Fianna Fail's mess like the bunch of self-interested, ignorant nation of begrudgers we are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Never knew Enda Kenny had an interest in Scottish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Enda Kenny has been featured on the cover of this week's Time magazine. The story's headline reads 'The Celtic Comeback'. It also says 'Prime Minister Enda Kenny is rebuilding his country’s economy. What the rest of Europe can learn from him.'

To see the cover, click here.

Good for Ireland, or a load of nonsense?

fair play to him. good news for ireland means increase in investment. i had better go out and buy a house or ten before they come up in price again.

business leaders/investors/economists will see this from a mile away for what it really is, a cynical ploy from the European elite to maintain the status quo.

i do wish yo were right though, but even my dog is having a laugh at this one.!!

I think you need to review your meaning of "propaganda"

Good to see that the resident Fianna Failures are out in force though! ;)

Not many of those left around i would think..??
    but then again they would'nt be short of neck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sounds very conspiratorial to me. Any evidence to back this up or are the European Elite just too good at covering their tracks? If this article results in just 10 new jobs then it will be well worth it in my opinion. But maybe you would prefer we keep putting out the bad stories and cutting off our own nose in the process. We could be completely mired in the doldrums but sure as long as those European Elites don't get what they want then who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The good publicity is badly needed.

Publicity ??
    But he wasn't voted in to pull publicity stunts. He was voted in based on the promises he and his cronies made during the campaign, and of course as a protest vote which is never good.

This is another government out to do the best for themselves as they can, they have done little since coming to office except follow on in the shadow of the previous corrupt administration.

Politics in this country is a lost cause.
    and I think if you talk to any of the thousands who have to emigrate or the 15% of the working population who are unemployed, what has Enda done? the answer is nothing, nothing at all. the pensions fund was again raided for a "Jobs Strategy" which has seen nothing but the jobless figures and emigration increase, hardly a success story now is it !

And the whole argument about the damage that was done before they came to power is crap!
    Their campaign wasnt based on "we'll see what we can do" or " it doesn't look good"or "there is nothing we can do", they made specific promises on what they would DELIVER, and they have failed the people on this, failed miserably.

Oh wait.. they have arrived......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bbam wrote: »
    Their campaign wasnt based on "we'll see what we can do" or " it doesn't look good"or "there is nothing we can do", they made specific promises on what they would DELIVER, and they have failed the people on this, failed miserably.
    Care to list off their promises and how they've failed on them? Oh, and regurgitating the list from Biggins's site won't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Pubicity ??
    But he wasn't voted in to pull publicity stunts. He was voted in based on the promises he and his cronies made during the campaign, and of course as a protest vote which is never good.

Yes, publicity. Countries have to sell themselves on the world stage to attract investment. They were voted in to fix the economy and this is one way we can help turn things around. You would be giving out as well if they didn't make any effort to create jobs.

• Advertisement

Publicity ??

This is another government out to do the best for themselves as they can, they have done little since coming to office except follow on in the shadow of the previous corrupt administration.

Honestly i despair at people giving political views whilst not having an iota as to how politics works.

Publicity ??

Politics in this country is a lost cause.
    and I think if you talk to any of the thousands who have to emigrate or the 15% of the working population who are unemployed, what has Enda done? the answer is nothing, nothing at all. the pensions fund was again raided for a "Jobs Strategy" which has seen nothing but the jobless figures and emigration increase, hardly a success story now is it !

And the whole argument about the damage that was done before they came to power is crap!

careful now... !!!! getting very close to upsetting the vested interests here;)

Honestly i despair at people giving political views whilst not having an iota as to how politics works.
    Probably the same kind of person who spent the last election crying about how uncharismatic Enda Kenny was and how a country needs a leader who's good in public.

I think you need to review your meaning of "propaganda"

You "think" wrong...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL

This here are reported quicker the rest of the media who is playing catch-up!

http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-frontpage-time-magazine-623267-Oct2012/

I'm beginning to think reporters are popping in here to AH to get some news stories! LOL

seamus wrote: »
    Probably the same kind of person who spent the last election crying about how uncharismatic Enda Kenny was and how a country needs a leader who's good in public.

People continuously moan about "he promised this" and "he promised that". Obama is hearing the same in the US at the moment. When will people realise that all of those promises HAVE to be made as that is how stupid people vote. Name me one leader of any developed country who came in and delivered every pre-election promise, it doesnt happen.

You base your opinions on politicians pre-election on how capable, sensible and pragmatic a politician is. You never base it on what he tells you in a debate. You base your opinions post-election on where they have come from (ie what did they inherit) and what steps they are taking to strengthen the country's position going forward.

Using the above i think Enda and the present government are doing well. They are far far superior to the "upwards-only rent" days of Fianna Fail who i apply the same rationale to (and they were terrible for the country when in power).

So i read comments here and i wonder where some people are living. The level of sheer inability to think rationally and avoid mob mentality is absent in this country these days.

Care to list off their promises and how they've failed on them? Oh, and regurgitating the list from Biggins's site won't do.

simple..
    Jobs....
    They went on and on about their jobs strategy, do I remember a five point plan being discussed?? the bloody thing was announced over and over again, talked about on radio and TV..

And yet, the only thing that has happened to ease the unemployment figure was mass emigration, not seen on a scale like that in decades.

They were the men to turn it round, get us back on track, undo the damage that was done.. no worry about a global downturn - the government would fix it..

Can you honestly tell me that they have delivered on their promises on jobs, and the breaking of the pay caps for their advisors doesn't count..

The Seanad, wasn't that to be abolished??

Lastly... didn't Eamon talk about "Labours Way", what's that about, I mistook it for a bondholder payment thing... Labour's way seems very like the Green's approach, suck up the the major party in government as this is their only real chance of power and they will hold onto it no matter what principals need to be set to the side...

I forgot the current stroke politics in the Health portfolio... wasn't all that to go with the tent at the Galway races..??

I'd say someone with a better memory could add plenty to the list..
    Their pityful !

You "think" wrong...;)

You think about how to use quotation marks and then use them incorrectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Oh everyone is or should be aware by now how politics works in this country. If nothing else FF's demise highlighted that for us.

We can all see how it's not working at the moment. This government is well past the point where blaming the previous lot was a good excuse for the mess we're in. But they have proved themselves no better. Sure they have good PR with the EU and the likes of Time magazine. But on the ground it just gets worse by the day. Those of you who say otherwise should point out where these elusive improvements have been seen.

Kenny also broke the one promise I distinctly remember him making. He said he would tell us the truth. Turns out he was lying. Why am I not surprised?

• Advertisement

bluecode wrote: »
    We can all see how it's not working at the moment. This government is well past the point where blaming the previous lot was a good excuse for the mess we're in. But they have proved themselves no better. Sure they have good PR with the EU and the likes of Time magazine. But on the ground it just gets worse by the day. Those of you who say otherwise should point out where these elusive improvements have been seen.
    The fact that anybody is surprised that things are still getting worse is the most depressing thing of all. Did you really think that a new broom would make all the bad stuff go away? Did you really think we could vote away our massive current account deficit, and everything would be back to how it was in the Celtic Bubble dreamworld?

You claim you know how politics works. I don't mean to be rude, but it seems you don't have a clue how economics works.

So the answer bbam is no, you don't know of any specific promises that have been broken, but you've decided that you're unhappy and therefore that must be the government's fault. Whinging, just like everyone else.

They've been in Government 20 months. Rattle off some things that you would expect a Government to reasonably accomplish in 20 months. Stop the unemployment rate from rising*? Check. Attract foreign investment? Check. Reduce the national deficit? Check. Improve investor confidence in the country? Check. Reduce the interest rates on our bailout repayments? Check.

But abolishing the Seanad, yeah that's urgent, and uh, making shapes about "Labour's Way", yeah that's important too.

Tell you what, here's some actual ones for you:

- They have failed to ban political donations to political parties
    - They have failed to come up with any proposals to meet their promises on reducing the number of TDs/Ministers
    - The wage cap has been broken a couple of times

Overall it's the little things they've failed to address - minor annoyances about how much high-end public servants are paid and such. Yet people seem to spend all their time whinging about this. It's like complaining that no-one has fixed the crack in the Captain's windows while the crew are downstairs patching a hole in the side of the ship.

*There's nothing wrong with using emigration as a pressure valve for unemployment. In the same way that our property market grew too fast, so too did our Labour market. Emigration is necessary and inevitable. Emigration is not a bad thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's depressing that everyone expects the government to fix the jobs mess.

Not just the jobs mess - the whole shooting match. And to do it within a year or two.

It would be hilarious if you didn't realise that these people have votes.

bluecode wrote: »
    This government is well past the point where blaming the previous lot was a good excuse for the mess we're in. But they have proved themselves no better. Sure they have good PR with the EU and the likes of Time magazine. But on the ground it just gets worse by the day. Those of you who say otherwise should point out where these elusive improvements have been seen.

Well passed the point of what? What did you think was going to happen? New government come in and all the bad stuff disappears and we have loads of money again? (* it is usually at this point that people start on about promises made pre-election).

As someone said it is depressing that people think that this would have turned out any other way. If Ireland had appointed Superman as Taoiseach we would still be in this state. Where you judge them is on what efforts are being made to stem the tsunami coming the other way. And, in that respect, with this article in Time Magazine another example, the current government are doing well. It is being acknowledged in Europe and now worldwide.

Well its not the job of my local sewerage worker to fix! He/she wasn't up for election and voted for to do it!
    Its depressing that people are still making excuses to justify one bit of incompetence, questionable loyalties and cronyism after another still with our latest traitorous government!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

' ...if words were money, Kenny could have easily cleared the national debt since coming to power in February 2011.'

Well ain't that the truth.

Biggins wrote: »
    Well its not the job of my local sewerage worker to fix! He/she wasn't up for election and voted for to do it!
    Its depressing that people are still making excuses to justify one bit of incompetence, questionable loyalties and cronyism after another still with our latest traitorous government!

The point he/she is making Biggins is that solving this mess was impossible. Showing some stoicism in adversity and showing the country to be a reliable trustworthy nation in financial terms was this government's mandate. Anything else is pie in the sky talk

Well its not the job of my local sewerage worker to fix!

Another pointless rant, how I enjoy them. The Government don't create jobs unless they are doctors, nurses, teachers, Civil service jobs etc etc. Unless we really want the Gov to hire more staff and give us a even larger deficit then no one should expect them to create those jobs. Only other possiblty is to build roads, bridges etc, more constrtuction jobs basically. We all know how solid those jobs are.

• Advertisement

The point he/she is making Biggins is that solving this mess was impossible.

but they made firm promises that they would, so they either had no idea what they were talking about, which seems to be little changed or they just said anything that people wanted to hear so they could get into power, probably true.

but they made firm promises that they would, so they either had no idea what they were talking about, which seems to be little changed or they just said anything that people wanted to hear so they could get into power, probably true.

A politcian say something to get into power? Has that ever happened before? Shocking behaviour. :pac:

Give us the list of incompetence and cronyism from this government there while you are at it. Here's what I can recall:

1. Trying to cut stuff that people don't want cut.
    2. The health minister (seemingly, at least) trying to get a health centre or something located in his constituency.
    3. ?

Returning to growth and low unemployment in less than two years would be a practically unheard of level of economic recovery, the most incredible economic turnaround since, amusingly, Hitler.

I'm sure this was part of it, in addition to people hearing what they wanted to hear. Who didn't hear FG talking about cuts to services? Who didn't hear Labour talking about increasing taxes?

The there are cuts and tax increases, and everyone is shocked. F*cking idiots.

So the answer bbam is no, you don't know of any specific promises that have been broken, but you've decided that you're unhappy and therefore that must be the government's fault. Whinging, just like everyone else.

They've been in Government 20 months. Rattle off some things that you would expect a Government to reasonably accomplish in 20 months. Stop the unemployment rate from rising*? Check. Attract foreign investment? Check. Reduce the national deficit? Check. Improve investor confidence in the country? Check. Reduce the interest rates on our bailout repayments? Check.

But abolishing the Seanad, yeah that's urgent, and uh, making shapes about "Labour's Way", yeah that's important too.

Tell you what, here's some actual ones for you:

- They have failed to ban political donations to political parties
    - They have failed to come up with any proposals to meet their promises on reducing the number of TDs/Ministers
    - The wage cap has been broken a couple of times

Overall it's the little things they've failed to address - minor annoyances about how much high-end public servants are paid and such. Yet people seem to spend all their time whinging about this. It's like complaining that no-one has fixed the crack in the Captain's windows while the crew are downstairs patching a hole in the side of the ship.

*There's nothing wrong with using emigration as a pressure valve for unemployment. In the same way that our property market grew too fast, so too did our Labour market. Emigration is necessary and inevitable. Emigration is not a bad thing

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/principalstatistics/seasonallyadjustedstandardisedunemploymentratessur/

Has unemployment, including long term unemployment not increased since they took over.. or maybe the CSO are against the government too.
    If we haddnt such incredable emigration it would look horrendous, so allowing mass emigration on their watch has been a good thing?

I think you'll find that to many of those who have emigrated or the broken families left behind that it's not such a good thing at all, and putting it in small font doesn't make it any easier.

• Advertisement

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/principalstatistics/seasonallyadjustedstandardisedunemploymentratessur/

Has unemployment, including long term unemployment not increased since they took over.. or maybe the CSO are against the government too.
    If we haddnt such incredable emigration it would look horrendous, so allowing mass emigration on their watch has been a good thing?

I think you'll find that to many of those who have emigrated or the broken families left behind that it's not such a good thing at all, and putting it in small font doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm sorry but you are in cloud cuckoo land or have NO IDEA how f*cked we are if you think that this could be turned around in anything less than a decade.

I'm sure this was part of it, in addition to people hearing what they wanted to hear. Who didn't hear FG talking about cuts to services? Who didn't hear Labour talking about increasing taxes?

The there are cuts and tax increases, and everyone is shocked. F*cking idiots.

I agree, there is no way out without cuts in spending and increases in revenue, any idiot could tell that..

However, they promised the Seanad would be cut. It however seems to have been easier to target home care hours, that way the retirment ground for failed politicans remains and those who have no voice....well who cares!

However, they promised the Seanad would be cut. It however seems to have been easier to target home care hours, that way the retirment ground for failed politicans remains and those who have no voice....well who cares!
    Yup, I agree with you re. the senate, but cutting the senate would save peanuts compared to other stuff. It still should be done, even if only to show that the (failed) politicians are taking a hit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

The Celtic comeback :):D:)

My Father was made redundant last week :mad:
    My Sister got an infection on her leg cause she could'nt afford €50 for a
    doctor we were promised free healthcare hahaha :(
    Moneys too tight to mention

I'm sorry but you are in cloud cuckoo land or have NO IDEA how f*cked we are if you think that this could be turned around in anything less than a decade.

No, I'm perfectly aware of the scale of the problem...

However, did they say that given a Decade in power they might do something?? NO, they didn't

• Advertisement
Advertisement