Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do they do it

• 05-10-2012 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭

This is my idea from my other thread about drinking a bottle of vodka. When you are an alcoholic how do they manage to drink so much one day, like i drank a bottle of vodka and then wake up in the morning and have a beer or a wine or something first thing?

How do they manage to keep drinking. I never had a feeling that i want to drink more the next day after a night out, i always feel as if i cant drink ever again. What is it that aloud alcoholics to keep drinking when a normal person cant stomach another drink the next day usualy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Practice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Years of building up a tolerance to it so the same amount years ago doesn't have the same effect now.

That's why it now takes me 14 hours to masturbate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you get used to it. Even a raging alcoholic will tell you that the first drink of the day is like getting stabbed in the stomach, but after that it's plain sailing.

Think of it like going on a 3-day stag. Except every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if you dont stop then you wont get a hangover.

i think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

seamus wrote: »
    the first drink of the day is like getting stabbed in the stomach

:eek: ah seriously that should be enough to stop them doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It's the hair of the dog the next day, but it just continues. Two drinks to cure what ails ye will leave you wanting a third, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

:eek: ah seriously that should be enough to stop them doing it!

Generally the pain of being sober will seem worse for an alcoholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Also for an non-alcoholic the next day you are wishing for recovery and a return to normality. Take that away and why not have another drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Most alcos dont get blazing drunk all the time . Just keep a buzz going . Youd be surprised how many people you know have sneaky drinks throughout the day .
    When you get arsehole drunk the shame and the guilt and fear is usually enough to get you drinking the next morning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

"Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink" - johnson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Boombastic wrote: »
    "Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink" - johnson

Season 8 starts next month...:) :) "can you tell me...is the bottom half of me on fire?" :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

FatherLen wrote: »
    if you dont stop then you wont get a hangover.

i think?

works for Father Jack

This is my idea from my other thread about drinking a bottle of vodka. When you are an alcoholic how do they manage to drink so much one day, like i drank a bottle of vodka and then wake up in the morning and have a beer or a wine or something first thing?

How do they manage to keep drinking. I never had a feeling that i want to drink more the next day after a night out, i always feel as if i cant drink ever again. What is it that aloud alcoholics to keep drinking when a normal person cant stomach another drink the next day usualy?

Have a look at Duff McKagan's interviews of recent years, They will be on youtube...amazing what the body can take..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Have a look at Duff McKagan's interviews of recent years, They will be on youtube...amazing what the body can take..
    Ah rock n roll tales of excess are always exagerated .

his pancreas exploded...

:eek:

cloptrop wrote: »
    Ah rock n roll tales of excess are always exagerated .

yea you are right about that, I've read the book..Duff is not full of lies and tall tales. he is very humble.

anyone here an alcoholic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

They become so used to it the hangover feels like normality after a while and they won't feel 'complete' until they start drinking again , few drinks in and the hangover goes and it starts to become normal again as their getting drunk. The pain of not having a drink outweighs the feeling of being hungover.

I come from a family of alcholics , my Mam could go on 3-4 benders without any sleep drinking morning ,noon and night and she'd barely even seem effected by a hangover so long as she kept drinking. Horrible thing to watch a person do to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I always got the impression a lot of alcoholics dont even go on binges. Theyre just topping up a little all the time just to keep them numb.

I always got the impression a lot of alcoholics dont even go on binges. Theyre just topping up a little all the time just to keep them numb.

how long can a person binge for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

how long can a person binge for
    Like everything it completely depends on the person! There's no set limit for anything like this.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Always boggled my mind too.

The idea of drinking that much makes my stomach turn, but I've seen this type of person in the flesh sadly. I think something happens to their bodies which allows them to do what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

OP is referring to the chronic booze fiend.

Not high functioning Alcoholics who can go a month without the booze, but then slowly creep into their old ways.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_alcoholic

OP is baffled as to how so much alcohol can be consumed in such small amounts of time.

I can tell you this:

It doesn't really matter how 'fit' you are, or if you have a superhuman liver and pancreas. The gist of it is:

Tolerance. Years of dousing your insides with ethanol means you become immune to it.

If you suddenly find yourself without said ethanol, you will feverishly try to find more of it, and so begins the old story of addiction.

Advertisement