Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord submits bogey invoice

Options
  • 05-10-2012 11:58am

ok, here are the facts, in dispute with former landlord.
    He deducted an amount for "repairs" from the security deposit.
    The house was perfect when I left, so I made a submission to the PRTB.

In his response to the PRTB, landlord submits an invoice for repairs. I ring up the owner of the company, the company is no longer trading, and the owner knew nothing of the work, and hasn't done this type of work for several years, the landlord acts for them professionally however.
    (the invoice is on plain paper with then company name and address on the top).
    Who, apart from the PRTB can I report this to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Could be reported to the Gardai as a case of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dreadful! But not too surprising - that stuff happens unfortunately. I was hit with a big ESB bill when leaving an apartment after 3 years renting. When I called the ESB, they told me "someone" (guess who) had called in with a bill reading for our apartment which bore no relation to our actual meter.

On another occasion a landlord simply never could be contacted to get the deposit back, no excuses offered. I left it a couple of months, then called him out of the blue. When I identified myself, the phone dropped, his wife came on saying that was a misunderstanding, I'd just been talking to "their son", and he (my landlord, posing as his own son) came back on the line putting on a childish voice , to get out of paying. Funny thing is, he was a Garda (or at least, he claimed to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Paulw wrote: »
    Could be reported to the Gardai as a case of fraud.

Absolutely. The landlord is basically trying to steal from you, and is using a fraudulant document to do this. Report to the Gardai ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dursey wrote: »
    In his response to the PRTB, landlord submits an invoice for repairs. I ring up the owner of the company, the company is no longer trading, and the owner knew nothing of the work, and hasn't done this type of work for several years, the landlord acts for them professionally however.
    (the invoice is on plain paper with then company name and address on the top).
    Who, apart from the PRTB can I report this to?
    I'd also check with Revenue; I'd wonder how much of his tax he wrote off with repairs to the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

if its with the prtb, surely they should have contacted the gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

folan wrote: »

No, PRTB won't contact anyone else. It's not their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Paulw wrote: »
    folan wrote: »

No, PRTB won't contact anyone else. It's not their job.

Technically if they're aware of a crime they're obligated to do so, aren't they? I'm sure they won't though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Newaglish wrote: »
    Technically if they're aware of a crime they're obligated to do so, aren't they?
    Left hand either doesn't know right hand exists, or just ignores right hand altogether...!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Document it- get a written statement from the owner of the company collaborating what he told you. Bring this with you to the PRTB. Whether you report him to Revenue is a separate matter- they do have an energetic little team who will be only too glad to talk to you (and tax evasion is a crime that hurts every law abiding citizen of the country). As for whether you or the PRTB report him to the Gardai or not- it is not the function of the PRTB to report him, under the authority prescribed to them- and while you're within your rights as a citizen to report him yourself, frankly- reporting him to the Revenue Commissioners will likely produce a better result more quickly, than by any other means. Tax evasion is a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Report it to the revenue as it's likely that the LL is using this to also dodge tax by falsely claiming it as an expense.

Let the LL know you intend to do this and that you have the evidence recorded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement