Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English to Irish Sentence

Options
  • 05-10-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys.
    First off, I'm ashamed I have to ask for this translation for 2 reasons, I'm Irish and two, its dumb :D
    But a friend of my girlfriend in Germany wants a tattoo in Irish, dont ask me why, hes German, but, whatever floats your boat, and they asked me to translate, now I was able to translate it but I'm not sure about the sentence structure.

The line is from Braveheart
    "Your heart is free, find the courage to follow it"

Now I translated it as
    "Tá do chroí saor in aisce, teacht ar an misneach a leanúint"

Now I dunno if thats right, its been about 10 years since I had to study anything Irish and I'm rusty as hell. Am I close, or a million miles off. I've been studying Germany so my sentence structure has been getting confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

"saor in aisce" means free in the sense of gratis: "buy one get one free".

There's no subject in the second part of the sentence; it does not make sense.

I wouldn't have agreed to translate it, if I were you.

Maybe go to http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/ and ask there, but I would strongly advise your friend to get it in German or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

El Tarangu wrote: »
    "saor in aisce" means free in the sense of gratis: "buy one get one free".

There's no subject in the second part of the sentence; it does not make sense.

I wouldn't have agreed to translate it, if I were you.

Maybe go to http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/ and ask there, but I would strongly advise your friend to get it in German or something.

Well they just asked me if I could I said I'd see but I get what you mean. Irish isnt my strong suit at all and I just used what I remember and my old english to irish dictionary to cobble it together. I'd have to agree with you but have to say I tried ya know. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Edg3 wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    First off, I'm ashamed I have to ask for this translation for 2 reasons, I'm Irish and two, its dumb :D
    But a friend of my girlfriend in Germany wants a tattoo in Irish, dont ask me why, hes German, but, whatever floats your boat, and they asked me to translate, now I was able to translate it but I'm not sure about the sentence structure.

Now I translated it as

Now I dunno if thats right, its been about 10 years since I had to study anything Irish and I'm rusty as hell. Am I close, or a million miles off. I've been studying Germany so my sentence structure has been getting confused.

'saor in aisce' means free of charge, 'saor' means free

'faigh' is the irish for find.
    am a bit rusty about the end of the sentence though, not sure if misneach is male or female.
    my translation would be 'tá do chroí saor, faigh an misneach á leanúint.'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well they just asked me if I could I said I'd see but I get what you mean. Irish isnt my strong suit at all and I just used what I remember and my old english to irish dictionary to cobble it together. I'd have to agree with you but have to say I tried ya know. Thanks for the link.

Irish Gaelic Translator ain't what it used to be. The site was bought by new owners early in 2011 and most of the old reliable crew moved on to a new site.

Check out http://irishlearner.awyr.com/phpBB3/
    It's made up of the same people who had previously earned the IG Translator site its once-great reputation. Some of them post here from time to time as well, but you'll definitely get an answer there.

'saor in aisce' means free of charge, 'saor' means free

'faigh' is the irish for find.
    am a bit rusty about the end of the sentence though, not sure if misneach is male or female.

"Faigh" is the Irish for "get", not "find". Please, please ask your friend to consult an Irish teacher before they have words in an obscure language scarred permanently into their skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"misneach" is masculine, so you're right to spell it without the séimhiú.

Seems like an overly complicated request right? Especially for someone who wont be able to understand it, in a country where no one will understand it, even if they came here, how many people would get it? Its like getting Chinese sentences on you, friend of mine got one saying, well he thought
    "Home is where the heart is" before he moved to Australia, got to Australia and the first Chinese girl he met in the hostel told him it meant
    "Chicken Fried Rice". I kid you not! Guy had no idea what he was getting.

"misneach" is a noun so I think he'd get away with it. The "saor" my friend just told me means "cheap" :D good old primary school Irish :D

"Faigh" is the Irish for "get", not "find". Please, please ask your friend to consult an Irish teacher before they have words in an obscure language scarred permanently into their skin.

it's the irish for find too.

'faigh amach' is find out.

as with many words, there are other options but none that i think are appropriate.

Not my friend, none of my friends would do something like this... well, they would, but in Chinese :) girlfriends friend!

it's the irish for find too.

'faigh amach' is find out.

as with many words, there are other options but none that i think are appropriate.

BÉARLACHAS!!!!

:eek:

• Advertisement

"misneach" is a noun so I think they'd get away with it. The "saor" my friend just told me means "cheap" :D good old primary school Irish :D

Just as it is in many other languages, it is possible for one word in Irish to have multiple meanings (depending on the context). Saor can mean free or cheap, depending on how it's used.

I'd also contend that "faigh" is frequently used as the verb "to find", as ballsymchugh has already said.

"misneach" is masculine, so you're right to spell it without the séimhiú.

so that would make the end of the sentence - 'á leanúint' ceart mar sin?
    i was a bit rusty about the 'á'!!
    BÉARLACHAS!!!!

:eek:

b'fhéidir, ach is 'faigh' an focal ceart!

so that would make the end of the sentence - 'á leanúint' ceart mar sin?
    i was a bit rusty about the 'á'!!

That's one I'll have to look into as well. My first thought when I saw the sentence was to finish it with "é a leanúint", but I could be wrong.

I'll have a look through my grammar notes this afternoon and see what I can find. I think there's a link to Graiméar Gaeilge na mBráithre Críostaí somewhere in one of the sticky threads in this forum... >_>

Thanks for all the replies guys. If I was in college I'd bounce it off one of the tutors but I'm not right now.
    Is "b'fhéidir" not "maybe"? Or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks for all the replies guys. If I was in college I'd bounce it off one of the tutors but I'm not right now.
    Is "b'fhéidir" not "maybe"? Or am I thinking of something else?

it is, don't pay any attention to that bit!
    sorry if i added to the confusion

it is, don't pay any attention to that bit!
    sorry if i added to the confusion
    I didnt get to sleep til 6am, making tea is confusing so dont worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Would'nt a Gàidhlig translation be more appropriate?
    The old Irish proverb "Níor chaill fear an mhisnigh riamh é" would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Faigh amach is not a recent "addition" to the language. It's well established.

Edit: faigh bit faith, feck off autocorrect.

Would'nt a Gàidhlig translation be more appropriate?
    The old Irish proverb "Níor chaill fear an mhisnigh riamh é" would cover it.

I've never heard that one before. I like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The Ó Dónaill dictionary translates it as
    "fortune favours the brave".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

How about
    "Beatha duine a thoil"

Maybe not exactly the same, but nice and snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Hey guys.

Now I translated it as

"Tá do chroí saor, faigh an misneach chun é a leanúint!" would be a direct translation.

Tá do chroí saor!! Faigh an misneach agus lean é!! sounds more irish like :)

Sorry for the delay in replying, got wisdom tooth out the other day and Ive been a million miles away.
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

"Tá do chroí saor, faigh an misneach chun é a leanúint!" would be a direct translation.

Seems like such a long sentence to get tattood though right?
    Second sentence seems more Irish yeah :) First doesnt flow really.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

"Bíodh sé de mhisneach agat é a leanúint" would be more natural Irish, I think.

"Bíodh sé de mhisneach agat é a leanúint" would be more natural Irish, I think.

That does sound better, suits it better.

Advertisement