Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening up Understairs area

• 05-10-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I am looking to open up the area under my stairs that is currently plaster boarded up to use as a small cupboard.

I need to remove one of the uprights midway along the plasterboard to make a big enough opening. this upright is a standard 2 x 4. My question is if it is ok to remove this and put a header up to span the gap which i would attach to secondary uprights attached to the existing uprights.

Sory if this is a bit basic sounding.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

i think that should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Thanks for that. Its only taken me ten years to get around to it. Better late than never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

ra0044 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Its only taken me ten years to get around to it. Better late than never
    ive already done this..isit where you get back the space from 3 or 4 steps?if it is ..when you take out the 3 x4. in the middle you dont have to do anything else ..it should be only a frame supporting the plasterboard /partition..not holding stairs carcass up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

ra0044 wrote: »
    I am looking to open up the area under my stairs that is currently plaster boarded up to use as a small cupboard.

I need to remove one of the uprights midway along the plasterboard to make a big enough opening. this upright is a standard 2 x 4. My question is if it is ok to remove this and put a header up to span the gap which i would attach to secondary uprights attached to the existing uprights.

Sory if this is a bit basic sounding.

Many thanks in advance

Have you got an understairs toilet too? Looks like there is plenty of space under there for a hoover etc! Wonder why the builders didnt put a press in here in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Hi,

The area under the stairs makes an L shape of the downstairs toilet. I Dont know why the builder didnt put a door in as there is nothing in the void such as pipes or electrics etc. The door will be a little low about 4 ft but as a cupboard should be ok.

Maybe just a lazy builder. To be honest alot of the things in the house make little or no sense as to location when you look at them logically.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement