Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Container ships are not having a good time of it lately.

Your ebay order may not be arriving... :pac:

Another link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQzOrj4y5bE

:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cargo Ship Turned Over and Adrift in English Channel After Collision
    An 82-meter long cargo ship has capsized and is now turned over and adrift in the English Channel after it collided with a fishing vessel on Tuesday.

Britannica-HAV-collision-1-800x533.jpg

France’s Maritime Prefect says it was alerted at 15:40 local time of a collision involving the Maltese-flagged freighter Britannica HAV and the fishing Deborah, flying the Belgian flag. The collision occurred about 50 nautical miles northeast of Cherbourg, France, to the south-west of the Dover Strait.

Britannica-HAV-collision-2-800x534.jpg

All seven crew members of the cargo ship evacuated to two life rafts and were recovered by the fishing vessel.

DYywj0iXcAARxiE.jpg

According to the Maritime Prefect, the Britannica sustained damage on its port side at its center. Four 15-by-20-foot bilge boards were separated from the vessel and adrift, the agency reported.

The Britannica HAV reported to be carrying a cargo of 1,955 tonnes of steel. A small oil sheen has been observed in the water surrounding the wreck, according to the Maritime Prefect.

The captain of the fishing vessel sustained a minor head injury, but otherwise no injuries were reported.

The French rescue tug Abeille Liberté has been dispatched to the scene along with French coastal police boat to monitor the wreck.

DYywj0hWAAApMff.jpg

A helicopter with the French Navy has reportedly evacuated the seven crew members of the cargo ship to land.

BRITANNICA_HAV.jpg
    The Maltese-flagged Britannica HAV was built in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is seven crew the normal for that size vessel? Captain, two officers of the watch, two engineers, a cook and a crewman? I have no idea by the way, I know there is some pie in the sky stuff about ships going to sea with no crew, which seems ridiculous considering you are still required to be able to use a sextant, how does that work remotely. Somebody in the know might indicate the required crew amounts, maybe this one has a bigger crew than normal for all I know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I know someone who worked on a similar sized ship, they had:Captain, Mate, Engineer, Bosun, Sailor, Cook.

In that trade, it's absolute bottom of the barrel business model and a pretty sh1tty life for the poor seafarers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Yep, that's what we used to run with. No Bosun or cook though, just 3 AB's who shared the cooking duties by the week. The Britannica HAV is very similar in size to the old Arklow boats with "M" names from the late 80's. Manor, Mill, Moor etc.... real rough yokes to work on. The bridge was on a hydraulic ram so you could raise and lower it to head up some of the rivers on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

From what I can see from their tracks the beamer steamed straight into the port side of her, I thought the beamer might have been fishing but it looks like he was doing 11knots when he hit her so there can be little argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

3 part documentary on the HMS Queen Elizabeth starting Sunday at 9pm on BBC2 might be of interest...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b08zfk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

3 part documentary on the HMS Queen Elizabeth starting Sunday at 9pm on BBC2 might be of interest...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b08zfk

Taped it last night, really looking forward to seeing it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

murphym7 wrote: »
    Taped it last night, really looking forward to seeing it later.

RATS!!

Must try to catch it on the player

• Advertisement

Epic fail.
    Important announcement re W.B. Yeats
    21 Apr 2018

We have just been informed by the German shipyard building the WB Yeats, that her delivery to Irish Ferries is likely to be delayed. While this delay is not yet fully confirmed by the shipyard we have, in the interests of minimising the level of potential disruption to our customers, taken the decision to cancel a number of affected sailings in July from the 12th July to the 29th July.

We are currently in contact with affected customers and offering spaces that we have held on the MV Oscar Wilde that are close to their booked sailing date. In the absence of an acceptable alternative customers will, of course, be entitled to a full refund.

Unfortunately due to this extraordinary circumstance, this is beyond our control. Please accept our utmost apologies for this inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Sheen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Epic fail.

It "could" be two weeks late. Hardly an epic fail.

QUOTE=Odelay;106804243]It "could" be two weeks late. Hardly an epic fail.[/QUOTE]

The epic fail bit is the customer service mishandling of the whole thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,350 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

QUOTE=Odelay;106804243]It "could" be two weeks late. Hardly an epic fail.

The epic fail bit is the customer service mishandling of the whole thing....[/quote]

How was it mishandled?

Seems to me they made an early call on a potential situation that was outside their control and have offered the best solution they can.

Would it have been better to hold off and hope for the best, and leave passengers completely high and dry if it didn't work out?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How was it mishandled?

Seems to me they made an early call on a potential situation that was outside their control and have offered the best solution they can.

Would it have been better to hold off and hope for the best, and leave passengers completely high and dry if it didn't work out?

Why take bookings for a ship that might not be in your fleet?

Surely there will be builders trials etc before she's handed over to Irish Ferries, and they could have thrown up issues. Or delays in construction, which appears to be the case.

Starting to take bookings for a sailing when you haven't got guarantees that the ship will be in your hands is cruising for a bruising.

And i'm sure ICG will be able to penalise the builders yard for breach on contract etc, and recoup some of the losses, but that's not going to be as public as this.

M

Wreck listings all around the Irish coast, around 4000 of them documented, interesting looking at them all, wasn't aware of so many...

https://dahg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=89e50518e5f4437abfa6284ff39fd640

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Why is the Stena Carrier moored up in Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

M

The Hardest Harvest tomorrow night on RTE1, might be of interest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

This caught my eye today

"Paddle steamer boat sinks while crossing Irish Sea"

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0526/966172-paddle-steamer-sea/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was surprised to today see a pretty big Stena cargo ship tired up in Dun Laoghaire. Only reason I can think is there was some big drifting (cars, not boats!) event on at the harbour, maybe it all travelled together?

M

g0g wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was surprised to today see a pretty big Stena cargo ship tired up in Dun Laoghaire. Only reason I can think is there was some big drifting (cars, not boats!) event on at the harbour, maybe it all travelled together?

Apparently awaiting new charter...

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/39165-stena-ship-remains-docked-in-dun-laoghaire-where-howth-ferry-is-the-only-operator-in-town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

g0g wrote: »

I was delighted to see this in Dun Laoghaire

, Evan went down especially to see it. Cant understand why people object to ships using Dun Laoghaire harbour.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Epic fail.
    Odelay wrote: »
    It "could" be two weeks late. Hardly an epic fail.

The epic fail bit is the customer service mishandling of the whole thing....
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

How was it mishandled?

Why take bookings for a ship that might not be in your fleet?

Surely there will be builders trials etc before she's handed over to Irish Ferries, and they could have thrown up issues. Or delays in construction, which appears to be the case.

Starting to take bookings for a sailing when you haven't got guarantees that the ship will be in your hands is cruising for a bruising.

And i'm sure ICG will be able to penalise the builders yard for breach on contract etc, and recoup some of the losses, but that's not going to be as public as this.

Whatever doubt there was before NOW it's an epic fail!!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-ship-delay-sees-thousands-more-hit-by-irish-ferries-cancellations-1.3528011

All bookings on the Yeats cancelled for this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I went to Brittany that year on the Amorique and I will go back there again this year.

Anyone ever been on the ferry to the IOM?
    Passenger numbers don't justify routes

Ferry passenger numbers for Irish routes to and from the Isle of Man don't justify the cost of laying the services on.

That's the conclusion of the outgoing chair of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company.

Robert Quayle made the comments while discussing the future of Manx ferry services in the wake of government's purchase of the company.

Speaking on yesterday's Sunday Opinion, Mr Quayle rebutted the accusation that the Steam Packet had abandoned Ireland:
    https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/irish-ferry-passengers-abandoned-iom/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've used it to go to the TT races which I would imagine that's why the majority of passengers use it . They have their set timetable and it can be expensive. It is usually booked up early following the years event. I know there are other events like the Southern 100 and Manx Grand Prix but the main draw would be the 2 weeks in June. I wouldn't be too familiar with other traffic outside of these dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went across once in the last week of June, and it was certainly very quiet then.

Advertisement