Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Is the tug bound for Ireland too?

My Son posted those pics I don't know about the Tug but I will try to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE News will have the Aran Islands ferry on after the ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Def_IRL

I wonder if the Brits watched how our Army Ranger and Aer Corp did it 4 years beforehand on YouTube :)
    https://youtu.be/QOCiPFrB1Kk

Tabnabs wrote: »
    How it all went down, allegedly.

Pictures from today of Svenja offloading the new Aran Island Ferry Saoirse Na Farraige.

Link: http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pictures from today of Svenja offloading the new Aran Island Ferry Saoirse Na Farraige.

Almost like a cesarean section! :)

• Advertisement

Is the tug bound for Ireland too?

The Tug is going to Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Svenja arrived in Vlissingen on Monday then went on to Rotterdam yesterday where she docked in full view of a webcam in the Port of Rotterdam where the Tug was unloaded, this morning she has moved further into the port so no longer in view . I'm stalking her :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

neris wrote: »

1700 tonne 81 metre, offshore supply ship maybe?
    Questions to be answered either way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

1700 tonne 81 metre, offshore supply ship maybe?
    Questions to be answered either way!

Sailed from Blyth, so it's 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whats the process there? nearest container port or over the side? ship must be very unstable to so no mater what they do its dangerous to themsleves and other boats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Read somewhere that the owners of that ship have lost twice as many containers between 2 ships this year then the loss of containers across the whole industry. No wonder yachts racing around the world are hitting are things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's a few Christmases ruined if anyone is waiting on surface delivery!!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

banie01 wrote: »
    That's a few Christmases ruined if anyone is waiting on surface delivery!!!! :o

Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

"Your present was here" (shows photo of this ship).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

"Your present was here" (shows photo of this ship).

unless you live in the states that excuse won't work.

unless you live in the states that excuse won't work.

The Item was being shipped from the states, having been made in China!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They're throwing ferries at us now!

Ferry operator Stena Line is adding an additional vessel between Ireland and France next year to boost its level of service post-Brexit.

The new freight only vessel will run between Rosslare and Cherbourg from 4 January, doubling the number of weekly sailings on that route from three to six as well as the freight capacity.

The development means that next year there will be up to 15 direct each way services between Rosslare and continental Europe every week.

A fortnight ago, operator DFDS announced a new six-times-weekly each way direct service between Rosslare and Dunkirk.

Brittany Ferries will also run twice weekly each way services between Rosslare and Bilbao in northern Spain, while Brittany Ferries operates one ferry each way a week from March onwards between Rosslare and Cherbourg.

Ferry providers have been looking at ways to build additional capacity on routes between Ireland and the continent to allow freight transport firms to bypass the UK land bridge, in case there is severe congestion at British ports after 1 January.

It is expected that the requirement for truck drivers and freight transporters to file additional customs and other paperwork could cause significant snarl ups at marine entry and exit points to the UK.

The new craft, the Stena Foreteller, will offer an additional 3,000 lane metres of freight capacity per trip and can accommodate both accompanied and unaccompanied traffic.

It will also have on board facilities for up to 12 drivers.

"We warmly welcome Stena Line's decision to double its Rosslare to Cherbourg services from the beginning of 2021," said Rosslare Europort General Manager Glenn Carr.

"It reflects the strength of the partnership between Rosslare Europort and Stena Line in providing shipping solutions to Irish industry.

"We have been listening carefully to feedback from our customers and it has become clear that there is demand for increased frequency on the Rosslare-Cherbourg service, the shortest direct crossing between Ireland and France," said Niclas Mårtensson, CEO Stena Line.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1210/1183666-stena-line/

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/STENA-FORETELLER-IMO-9214666-MMSI-219195000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They really need to get the finger out and develop the infrastructure down there.. a motorway link from the port to the end of the M11 would be fairly high on the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They really need to get the finger out and develop the infrastructure down there.. a motorway link from the port to the end of the M11 would be fairly high on the list....

Have you ever been on that road, even within the ferry times there is little congestion south of Wexford, getting stuck behind a truck and having to do 80-90kph for a while is hardly justification for building a motorway.

The only problem areas are Oilgate and the N11/N25 roundabout at Wexford peak commuting times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will this not become a much more popular route with more ferries and and Brexit and thus more traffic.

Might inherit some of the other issues at Dover though.

https://oilgate2rosslareharbour.ie/ Road upgrade under active consideration by Wexford CoCo

https://oilgate2rosslareharbour.ie/ Road upgrade under active consideration by Wexford CoCo

What's to consider? Do they not read the news?

Dohvolle wrote: »
    What's to consider? Do they not read the news?

The price of land...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, the finger is well and truly out on this...

Looks like their going about it the right way anyway. great video explaining what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3,000 lane meters but only capacity for 12 drivers.
    I guess that's pretty much nothing but unaccompanied then

3,000 lane meters but only capacity for 12 drivers.
    I guess that's pretty much nothing but unaccompanied then
    That's what haulage companies want. The worst haulage company in the South East has a large fleet of vehicles in the UK it used for just this purpose. They don't like paying their drivers to sleep on a ship for a day. I expect companes like them will start teaming up with companies on the Continent to bring their unaccompanied to the client.

• Advertisement

Six crew members are COVID positive on the Stena Edda, cancelling her sailing and delaying hundreds of passengers in Liverpool.

https://extra.ie/2020/12/16/news/irish-news/irish-sea-covid-outbreak-stena-line

Advertisement