Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anytime I was towing we try to keep the line in the water, if it comes out it is too severe on both boats and the line, we would slow down or give out more line, the video from gb Shaw cctv and photos of the damage to her are widely being shared, I don't think it is my place to put them on a public forum

Saw one video of her getting hit with huge waves heading to the Trawler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Anytime I was towing we try to keep the line in the water, if it comes out it is too severe on both boats and the line, we would slow down or give out more line, the video from gb Shaw cctv and photos of the damage to her are widely being shared, I don't think it is my place to put them on a public forum

So there is no video?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dohvolle wrote: »

So there is no video?

Why would I make it up, especially detailing that it is a video of the cctv in the boat, with moving cameras following it, Tabnabs referred to it first, I was going to refer to it yesterday but decided against as some get very defensive, I not trying to be critical, it was not an ideal situation and I am sure lessons were learned.

Saw a video on the BBC series "Saving Lives at Sea where Lifeboat had managed to get a tow attached to a Trawler when a large wave smashed the Trawler into the Lifeboat it can't be an easy thing to do in bad we weather given all the movement of both vessels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How do you know they were not paying out the tow rope in the video either way they can't win. Armchair critics !!!!

Not even qualified to be an armchair critic here, but would that trawler be salvageable?? Who owns it on the seabed?

100% land lubber here, but I was on the last ferry to cross the Irish sea during the hurricane of 1987.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the video or is it another story like the refugee getting on the bus leaving the buggy outside because the social will get her a new one?
    Everyone knows someone who saw it, yet nobody actually saw it themselves?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah you have to know the right people to get a copy of the CCTV video on WhatsApp. It's real and pretty shocking it was taken and then so widely disseminated.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Does anyone have the video or is it another story like the refugee getting on the bus leaving the buggy outside because the social will get her a new one?
    Everyone knows someone who saw it, yet nobody actually saw it themselves?

If I put it up you would probably say I photoshopped it, I won't be either way, I reiterate that i am not trying to be critical, but the tugs are best people for that job, if ocean Bank had not been damaged they would have brought her in, if gb Shaw had not been nearby and good enough to assist could another tug have been arranged? Hard to know, but the way the thread was going saying that the vessels who are towing week in, week out and have learnt from their mistakes the hard way already could not have completed the tow is wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,248 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

video that was posted on twitter, with the boat taking on water probably like trying to tow a rock
    https://twitter.com/naval_service/status/1376139360635084801?s=20

video that was posted on twitter, with the boat taking on water probably like trying to tow a rock
    https://twitter.com/naval_service/status/1376139360635084801?s=20

She doesn't look much off usual on that, with an over 2000gt vessel towing a smaller vessel with a very short line like that it might not be inclined to let her bow bounce up. In the early stages of being towed by a fishing vessel taking on water was not a problem. There was no issue with propulsion other than there was a problem with the switchboard. It is frustrating to think that a fishing Vessel with all her engines running but having a switchboard issue sank, easy to talk after but there should have been an electrical solution

• Advertisement

They had no communications either with the Navy or Lifeboat Rescue 115 and Rescue 117 gave them pumps and Radios she was taking in water at the stern before they got to her due to no power to pump out water.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They had no communications either with the Navy or Lifeboat Rescue 115 and Rescue 117 gave them pumps and Radios she was taking in water at the stern before they got to her due to no power to pump out water.

Yes that would be very disorientating not been able to know what the rescue services wanted you to do until they got the radios to them. The trawler would have had emergency handheld VHF radios in the wheelhouse, I think you have to carry 2, very possible the batteries on them died given the time boat was without power.

Yes, I didn't mean to infer that the water was due to the collision, the water was coming in a Shute that is for the waste, guts etc of fish to go overboard, this is supposed to be sealable but was malfunctioning, she had a sealed deck which needs pumps to get the water back out, that Shute should be above the waterline, the vessel may fail a stability test if it wasn't, and if even partially functioning should keep all water except a splash from the biggest waves out, there would have been a number of wells on the deck to gather any water before a float switch would start the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its very interesting for non seagoing folks like myself to see these videos from the NS and Coastguard to how us all just how rough can be out there and the environment they have to work in. Its certainly a job for professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Not sure whether to pop this in military or maritime really.

A totally avoidable incident with an amphibious vehicle that ended with 9 men dead when a US marine amphibious vehicle sank off San Diego last year.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-25/amphibious-vehicle-investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure whether to pop this in military or maritime really.

A totally avoidable incident with an amphibious vehicle that ended with 9 men dead when a US marine amphibious vehicle sank off San Diego last year.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-25/amphibious-vehicle-investigation

That doesn't inspire confidence in the state of the US armed forces.
    Manic(Moran) might know more about this or have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

I can't speak for the rest of the US Armed Forces, but the US Navy's Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV) regularly releases public reports into the status of the Fleet. The general trend in the 2020 report is that the material state of the US Navy is on a downward trend over the last three years. Within the standard deviation but still going down

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Mar/03/2002592279/-1/-1/0/2020-INSURV-ANNUAL-REPORT.PDF/2020-INSURV-ANNUAL-REPORT.PDF

That does chime with what I've read in several other places, and it doesn't seem to be purely related to the material state of the Navy either. Crew fatigue is a huge issue for the navy, with crews being worked much harder than they should, with lack of sleep being commonplace:

https://seapowermagazine.org/fatigue-at-sea-researching-how-lack-of-sleep-can-affect-sailors/

The above is only one example, US military newspapers and USNI proceedings seem to be full of stories about a crew fatigue crisis in the navy. I also remember that shore leave and shore assignments were often cut short to have crews available for ships currently deployed, to the point that both enlisted ranks and officers couldn't adequately keep up with their training or even assessments of their subordinates. I haven't found any sources for that though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Yacht transporter listing off the norweigan coast

https://gcaptain.com/yacht-transport-ship-in-trouble-off-norway/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like a few boats have made an escape and taken one of the cranes with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

neris wrote: »
    Looks like a few boats have made an escape and taken one of the cranes with them

The green AQS is gone.
    In the original article it said a cargo shift was to blame for the list.
    But with AQS gone (and the crane) then she must have taken on water for her to be still listing to that side?

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

They'll all find their way home, like all good ducklings...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A couple of big girls are on scene and awaiting the tow to a safe harbour.

DSC00722-1024x681.jpg
    https://www.solstad.com/vessel/normand-drott/

showphoto.aspx?photoid=3419967

Also on scene is a coast guard vessel capabale of towing or dealing with oil spill pollution, as well as acting as On-Scene Commander.

KV_Bergen_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    that first one is really, really ugly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    that first one is really, really ugly.

Ohh controversial. These giant tugs are considered things of brawn and beauty by the people who work on and around them. Apart from the helipad, I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Ohh controversial. These giant tugs are considered things of brawn and beauty by the people who work on and around them. Apart from the helipad, I really like it.

the helipad looks like a complete afterthought.

GTpNBP2WAG6OU6uhgo1yiA00Igzo2RMH_XAusXYfnWGQ.jpg

Due to the conditions on scene, it has been announced that the recovery operation will be delayed until daylight tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the helipad looks like a complete afterthought.

Still brilliant though....

Imagine that out supporting SAR activities, and with the ability to refuel & support Heli operations....

The only way anyone is getting aboard that ship now is by chopper..

Not sure if you saw this brilliant work by the helicopter crews. I was wondering if the boats she was/is carrying came off her deck will they float

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xEp82QX9M

Another video

https://www.thelocal.no/20210406/watch-norwegian-rescue-services-evacuate-crew-from-ship-adrift-at-sea/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I would absolutely sh1t bricks if I had to jump off the back of that ship in those (or any) conditions......

I did the BIM Basic Sea Survival Course almost 30 years ago (my dad was the instructor), but that ship, in those conditions..... bricks would indeed be shat, and it large quantities.....

• Advertisement

It floats the green vessel that broke free from the deck looks ok.

Advertisement