Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone been having problems with 1l Aldi skimmed/slim milk going off days before the BB on the top of the carton?? Fecked out another litre tonight that's dated 2nd May. This has happened to me 4 or 5 times and each time I complain I get the usual standard response. It's getting ridiculous though, my thoughts are that they put too long a BB date on them in the first place.

When did you open the carton of milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone been having problems with 1l Aldi skimmed/slim milk going off days before the BB on the top of the carton?? Fecked out another litre tonight that's dated 2nd May. This has happened to me 4 or 5 times and each time I complain I get the usual standard response. It's getting ridiculous though, my thoughts are that they put too long a BB date on them in the first place.

Same problem so rarely buy milk there now. Wrote a letter to them and awaiting a response. It is ridiculous. I'd shop between 3 different Aldi stores and they are all the same. I'm starting to doubt that they have a fridge in their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When did you open the carton of milk?

Yesterday, seems to be more widespread than im led to believe by Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Does Lidl/Aldi do a decent shampoo?
    1346920996-Girls-and-Boys-buying-shampoo.png

Depends whether you believe the rubbish on the label or not.

how-women-choose-shampoo-how-men-choose-shampoo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

traprunner wrote: »
    Same problem so rarely buy milk there now. Wrote a letter to them and awaiting a response. It is ridiculous. I'd shop between 3 different Aldi stores and they are all the same. I'm starting to doubt that they have a fridge in their stores.

Pay attention to the labels in 3l is Irish milk national dairy council approved, 2l is northern irish dishwater.

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »
    Pay attention to the labels in 3l is Irish milk national dairy council approved, 2l is northern irish dishwater.

Not sure if you meant to quote me as I mentioned nothing about where the milk was sourced. Just that it never lives up to the Use By (or best before?) date printed on it and I doubt how they store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I find all own brand hummous are good except Lidl, which is awful.
    Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi are all nice. Dunnes my favourite I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Nope.
    Aldi’s group buying director, Colin Breslin, said: “Our commitment to our customers is that 100% of our Clonbawn fresh milk range sold at our Irish stores is sourced from farms in the Republic of Ireland.

I think this issue cropped up last summer as well with the milk going sour quickly, afraid I'm no help as to why it happens though. Not refrigerated quickly enough after arrival in store perhaps? Or the open faced fridges which they use in stores.

Edit to add- I knew I had read about it here before- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056648548

Not sure if you meant to quote me as I mentioned nothing about where the milk was sourced. Just that it never lives up to the Use By (or best before?) date printed on it and I doubt how they store it.

We don't have that problem with the 3l ever so its not a storage issue on lidls end at my local store anyway .. the other non dairy council milks are always iffy and often gone off the day after purchase took me ages to figure out they were completely different.

We don't have that problem with the 3l ever so its not a storage issue on lidls end at my local store anyway .. the other non dairy council milks are always iffy and often gone off the day after purchase took me ages to figure out they were completely different.

I get ya now. Maybe it is just a problem with the 1L cartons.

I'll be going to Tesco in a hour or so to get milk and wont be home until after 5. I'll see how that goes for me. They have the plastic 1L jug though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My missus spends long periods of time at the fridge, with the door open, checking all the BB dates and complaining that stuff keeps going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi milk - slim and mega 1l - are NDC approved.

Interesting to see that this has been continuing since at least 2012 !! Crazy stuff, Aldi are you watching?, ill be complaining again anyway as a second that was just opened with a BB date of May second is gone rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow....thank you for that. Coincidentally I put up a post the other day that I had noticed that the one litre is ROI and the 2 litre is NI.
    Someone else said that the 3 litre is ROI.
    Isn't it strange that the 2 litre is Northern milk and the others are ROI?
    It's so misleading with the 2 litre carton as it really does lead you to believe that it is ROI milk.
    I wonder what they're claiming is Irish....the packaging maybe??? Whatever it is it's totally misleading.

johnire wrote: »
    Wow....thank you for that. Coincidentally I put up a post the other day that I had noticed that the one litre is ROI and the 2 litre is NI.
    Someone else said that the 3 litre is ROI.
    Isn't it strange that the 2 litre is Northern milk and the others are ROI?
    It's so misleading with the 2 litre carton as it really does lead you to believe that it is ROI milk.
    I wonder what they're claiming is Irish....the packaging maybe??? Whatever it is it's totally misleading.

Well it is Irish. If you look at the producer code the NI stuff will say UK. You'd be surprised how much stuff you think is Irish is produced in ni/uk last one that really surprised me was 'Donegal' catch .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Produced in Yorkshire somewhere if memory serves me correct, although with fish, the type of fish isn't always 100% reliable never mind the place of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

although with fish, the type of fish isn't always 100% reliable never mind the plaice of origin.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Anyone know a good brand of tinned Peas in Aldi/Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

They all have nasty colours in them. Look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Don't know about Aldi/ lidl brand , I have tried tesco own brand not impressed, I always buy Dunnes (my family favourite) peas and beans very impressed and only 29c each

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

The aldi beans are quite good think 45c a tin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Not sure on tinned but, the frozen peti pods are lovely!

I get ya now. Maybe it is just a problem with the 1L cartons.

I'll be going to Tesco in a hour or so to get milk and wont be home until after 5. I'll see how that goes for me. They have the plastic 1L jug though.

Tesco Milk lasted no problem. Plenty of time to use before going off even after spending 3-4 hours out of a fridge before I got home.

Got a reply from Aldi apologising and a €5 voucher. It more or less said that it was the first they heard about issues with it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Aldi Single Origin Ethiopian Coffee is great.

Saw it top a poll of own brand coffees and gave it a try. Really good.

Far better than any of the big brand (Illy/Lavazza etc.) stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I buy Aldi's Irish processed peas and find them nice. Lidl's peas have a mint flavouring in them which I hate. Tesco's own processsed peas are also fine in my humble opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

The aldi beans are quite good think 45c a tin

These beans are very good, unlike a lot of the cheap beans they are not too sweet or hard or watery. Thumbs up from my fussy gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

aldi marrowfat tinned peas every bit as nice as bachelors and less than half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

et101 wrote: »
    These beans are very good, unlike a lot of the cheap beans they are not too sweet or hard or watery. Thumbs up from my fussy gang!

+1
    can't fault them at all, up there with heinz and bachelors for me
    tried some brand in lidl before and they were disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another +1 for the Aldi beans, our normal purchase is the Corale no added sugar ones. I'd actually pick them above Heinz when we have both in the press!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone recommend the best instant coffee from aldi/lidl, i have been buying aldis large gold jar but found it has got weaker,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

MaxWig wrote: »
    Aldi Single Origin Ethiopian Coffee is great.

Saw it top a poll of own brand coffees and gave it a try. Really good.

Far better than any of the big brand (Illy/Lavazza etc.) stuff.

Tried it for the first time this morning. Really enjoyed it

Advertisement