Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republican protestors attack car of Tanaiste Gilmore and Frances Fitzgerald

• 05-10-2012 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Irish Indo wrote:

TANAISTE Eamon Gilmore and the Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald were forced to pull out of a Children's Referendum campaign this morning after their car was attacked by protesters.

As they arrived at The Base community centre in Ballyfermot to launch a UNICEF Ireland event to promote a yes vote in the referendum, the windscreen and bonnet of their BMW car was pelted with eggs.

The side window beside the Tanaiste was spat on and the car kicked by a small number of protestors carrying Eirigi and People Before Profit placards.

They surrounded the car and shouted abuse at the two ministers until gardai intervened, but the police were unable to disperse the group who were protesting against proposed cuts to child benefit.

There were about one hundred children inside the centre at the time waiting for the arrival of the Tanaiste.

Among the protesters was Eirigi councillor Louise Minhan who was convicted of assault and criminal damages after throwing paint over former Health Minister Mary Harney in November 2010.

As they were unable to enter the community centre, the Tanaiste and minister drove off. A spokesman for Eamon Gilmore said that the decision not to return while the protesters remained outside was taken "in order to protect the safety of the children".

He added that they hoped to re-arrange the event with UNICEF to promote the campaign later in the day.

- Lise Hand

Why did the Indo headline writer not chose to highlight Eirige and PFP in the headline? (Which is the thread title?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Business as usual in Ballyfermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Were the eggs Organic? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

PBP aren't really "Republican protesters"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

That's my point.

Even excusing the slip by calling them PFP (People FOR Profit) in the OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

So, is this going to be it? We did nothing for all the other cutbacks but it's child allowance that's going to push people over the edge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Protect the children More Happy Gilmore Id say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

The patriots in action in their "Liverpool FC" florescent jackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

gatecrash wrote: »
    Why did the Indo headline writer not chose to highlight Eirige and PFP in the headline? (Which is the thread title?
    It's the Indo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its a case of "when" - not "if" that people are going to start reacting like they have.
    NOT saying its right, just saying that I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now - and with the upcoming budget that is supposed to be BAD - there will be more of same to come.
    Expect FG and Labour heads to going to hiding, coming out only in groups and/or with protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Video

Not as bad as it sounded. Too right for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Should read "Junior Terrorists and Commies attack car of Tanaiste Gilmore and Frances Fitzgerald"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A spokesman for Eamon Gilmore said that the decision not to return while the protesters remained outside was taken "in order to protect the safety of the children".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I thought it was a good action by the groups involved. It looks tramp-ish shouting general insults but it had the desired effects in the end.

Also love how the ultra-Republican, 32-county, Brits out movement are wearing Liverpool FC high viz tops.

Why are they being called traitors?

Giving away 17 Billion to possible foreign bondholders will do that!
    (18 billion to be given to same next year - keep it in mind that we are struggling in this winters budget, to find 3.5 billion for ourselves to just help keep the basics running!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Biggins wrote: »
    Its a case of "when" - not "if" that people are going to start reacting like they have.
    NOT saying its right, just saying that I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now - and with the upcoming budget that is supposed to be BAD - there will be more of same to come.
    Expect FG and Labour heads to going to hiding, coming out only in groups and/or with protection.

Gilmore and co. can thank their lucky stars they're in Dublin rather than Athens or Madrid where the eggs would be substituted by petrol bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

"Won't somebody think of the Minister for Children?!"

Éirigí are a bunch of idiots who unfortunately for everybody else seem to take themselves very seriously.

its a testament to how retarded these people are.......

Thats the politicians - what about the protesters?

(I do agree Éirigí are a right bunch of... trouble!)

• Advertisement

It was directed at the protestors! Politicians are to! you cant win!

It could be directed at both to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

More sensationalism from the Indo,of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Kids, this ad should show you all why this current recession is nothing like the one we had in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

gatecrash wrote: »
    That's my point.

Even excusing the slip by calling them PFP (People FOR Profit) in the OP :D

Durign the Save Our Seafront campaign in Dun Laoghaire a few years ago a friend of mine used to say he'd support a "Profit Before People" party, to which I'd reply that he'd just described almost every political party in the country to some degree :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Also love how the ultra-Republican, 32-county, Brits out movement are wearing Liverpool FC high viz tops.

People on boards routinely trot this out as if it's some sort of really clever observation. Someone mentioned it about Celtic recently in another thread.
    Are you under the impression that being a republican means you aren't allowed to like other country's sports or teams?
    I was in Canada a while ago and really enjoyed a few Canucks Ice Hockey games I was at. Am I no longer a true republican?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LFC hi-viz jackets? Did that fella mug a steward at Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's a bit of a contradiction though,they don't like the British but they 'support' a British sports team.

Like those lads fighting with the Gardai when the Queen was over last year while wearing Man United and Celtic jerseys.

Just makes them like a bit stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Turns my stomach to see these gurrier toe-rags hiding behind the Irish flag. Republican my f**kin arse!! They wouldn't have the slightest clue, the skanks.

I was in Canada a while ago and really enjoyed a few Canucks Ice Hockey games I was at. Am I no longer a true republican?

That's not a valid comparison. You don't, as far as I know, profess your hatred for Canada, the Canadian people and insist that they have back Newfoundland to us - have you heard their accents? they're more Irish than the Nordies.

Look at those pillars of the community.
    Wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

IM not surpised this happened today-people are angry-if all the rumours about the next budget come to pass expect people to get a whole lot more angrier-
    About damn time some people had the balls to do more than moan and gripe from behind their keyboards and show these politicians what they think of them- Gilmore is an absolute disgrace to the morals and ideals of the Labour Party. He’s a spineless , sneaky person. He wouldn’t even defend Roisin Shortall for fear of upsetting the coalition-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Id say wait till after the budget to start ranting about "protesters" - but you probably won't because you WILL BE ONE OF THEM YOURSELVES. but that will make it alright then :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

People on boards routinely trot this out as if it's some sort of really clever observation. Someone mentioned it about Celtic recently in another thread.
    Are you under the impression that being a republican means you aren't allowed to like other country's sports or teams?

If you're holding a placard reading 'No to Foreign Games', the soccer jersey marks you out as a bit of a tool tbh.

Chap in the Liverpool bib above could conceivably be PBP I suppose. If he's Eirigi though, it's fair comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

In fairness its irrelevent if a republican follows liverpool... it'd be ignorant to hate every brit under the sun just because of their government and monarch. just an FYI :pac:

It's a bit of a contradiction though,they don't like the British but they 'support' a British sports team.

Like those lads fighting with the Gardai when the Queen was over last year while wearing Man United and Celtic jerseys.

Just makes them like a bit stupid.

It's not a contradiction at all. They do not profess to hate the British. They hate the British occupation of part of the country. That has nothing to do with support for a sports team.
    I have no time for either eirigi or soccer but this jersey thing is routinely trotted out and is nothing more than a red herring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Yamanoto wrote: »
    If you're holding a placard reading 'No to Foreign Games', the soccer jersey marks you out as a bit of a tool tbh.

http://athlonelive.com/forum/uploaded/Admin/2007226154644_idiot.jpg

Always gives me a smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Am Chile wrote: »
    IM not surpised this happened today-people are angry-if all the rumours about the next budget come to pass expect people to get a whole lot more angrier-
    About damn time some people had the balls to do more than moan and gripe from behind their keyboards and show these politicians what they think of them- Gilmore is an absolute disgrace to the morals and ideals of the Labour Party. He’s a spineless , sneaky person. He wouldn’t even defend Roisin Shortall for fear of upsetting the coalition-
    They did it a campaign event for the children's referendum that is completely inappropriate plus they behaved like scumbags.

That's not a valid comparison. You don't, as far as I know, profess your hatred for Canada, the Canadian people and insist that they have back Newfoundland to us - have you heard their accents? they're more Irish than the Nordies.

It's a perfectly valid comparison. Eirigi do not hate Britain or British people, merely british occupation of Ireland. No idea what your Newfoundland comment is meant to mean and your snide snipe at "nordies" is reprehensible

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »

Yes, yes it does. This however, was not a protest about playing foreign games in Croke Park, it was about cuts to Child Benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's possible to dislike the actions of a state but have nothing against its people, eg America, Israel.

You also seem to think that being a Republican requires you to be equivalant to a member of some talaban-esque group, running round in an aran jumper, doing impromptu dances at crossroads.

Eirigi are nothing but scumbags, they oppose the british,Its foolish and downright stupid to say they dont, take a look at their website

http://www.eirigi.org/latest/latest251111.html

NI being part of the UK is something that wont change and we have to deal with it.

The majority are scumbags and should be treated as such

Oh yeah its real stupid to oppose british rule in their own country... like it or not this is Ireland, and people have a right to oppose british rule.

Eirigi are nothing but scumbags, they oppose the british,Its foolish and downright stupid to say they dont, take a look at their website

http://www.eirigi.org/latest/latest251111.html

NI being part of the UK is something that wont change and we have to deal with it.

The majority are scumbags and should be treated as such

I took you up wrong, apologies, but I dont think the majority are scumbags, and I dont think anyone should lay down and accept that NI is under British law if they dont want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 James Longstreet.

More Republican aggression on these innocent people. You won't ever get the 6 counties. So pack it in boys and have a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Are they standing on hot coal? Why are they all shouting ouch ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

You do realise that the photo was a photographers set-up to sell papers the following day?? or do you? just shows the naievety at which Irish people can be led.
    i attended that particular game and as a diehard GAA fan was delighted it was played in Croker. but even the genuine protesters(yes they are entitled to their opinions) just laughed at this tool. (well paid tool BTW)

• Advertisement
Advertisement