Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republican protestors attack car of Tanaiste Gilmore and Frances Fitzgerald

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

washman3 wrote: »
    You do realise that the photo was a photographers set-up to sell papers the following day?? or do you? just shows the naievety at which Irish people can be led.
    i attended that particular game and as a diehard GAA fan was delighted it was played in Croker. but even the genuine protesters(yes they are entitled to their opinions) just laughed at this tool. (well paid tool BTW)

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I agree people have their own right to free will, but its the logic and the way they go about it thats stupid, lets take the queens protests last year

A picture of a man burning a union jack while wearing a manchester united jersey was published

Or how about the Riots in Dorset street when the Queen came to visit basically to end this mess, I witnessed those riots from the field of view of the riot police. what I saw was a bunch of dole drawing Yobs shouting "free state bastards" and Throwing bricks at Irish Citizens claiming to be fighting for a united Ireland by attacking their own countrymen.

or how about the lad who the night after was on a radio station was asked by the presenter, what day was yesterday? who didnt have a clue what it commemorated and who couldn't even name the 6 counties he was "supposedly" fighting for when asked.

and what about the Student protests last year, which I attended, turning into uproar as it was hijacked by members of Eirigi looking for a fight.

Im sorry but these people are morons and I have no time for them
    Well you will always get the bad with the good. In fairness it was a pretty awful move to have the queen over. Did the government really expect anything better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Morons with no concept of democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

More Republican aggression on these innocent people. You won't ever get the 6 counties. So pack it in boys and have a rest.

welcome aboard bud....
    looks like the propaganda machine is in full swing today...!!
    were you contacted by text or rang?? ;)

more difficult to fool people on here than you think.;)
    the protest was about cuts to childrens allowances among others, nothing to do with the 6 counties. thats long over,just in case you've lived in a cave since 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You do realise that the photo was a photographers set-up to sell papers the following day??

Not even that. It's a blatant fake iirc. They just pasted a message from another placard on to the photo of the guy in a Celtic tracksuit.

How do you know that?

spoke to some of the protesters at the time and since.
    they would swear that the guy was/is a tool and would pose naked if the occasion deemed necessary.

that aside some of my life long friends voted against the opening of Croker, but i totally respect that as they also respect my opinion to vote for (and attend) the games.
    Never lost a friend because of it. thats democracy.!!

Not even that. It's a blatant fake iirc. They just pasted a message from another placard on to the photo of the guy in a Celtic tracksuit.

Ya, happens all the time. sells papers and gives the GAA a bad name. goal achieved.
    photographers have problem getting tools like if they want. just a few cans and cash for a fix.
    they real scumbags are those that maufacture these photo opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone branding themselves republican since about 1950 has invariably been an insult to the name and the cause; terrorists, gangsters, racketeers, smugglers, traffickers, sadists, commies, subversives, fraudsters, rabble rousers, mobhands - and I do include Fianna Fáil in that.

This particular crowd are a handful of degenerates, the reason they arent holding mass rallies at Government Buidlings is that they dont have the support to turn out for them and theyd look like fools, so they resort to anti-social skumbaggery which does nothing except upset schookids who probably spend the week getting party pieces ready for their visitors. The Guards are at fault here too for failing to have a response contingency for this kind of thing. Every one of those tards should have had a trip in a van for their troubles at the very least

The call for Louise Minihan to be thrown off the City Council is perfectly justified, as a member you sign up to certain priniciples of conduct and procedure, she must not be allowed to politically have her cake and eat it. I dont know whether its the Minister, Mayor, City Manager or other Councillors that can make it happen but I hope somebody makes trouble for her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Anyone branding themselves republican since about 1950 has invariably been an insult to the name and the cause; terrorists, gangsters, racketeers, smugglers, traffickers, sadists, commies, subversives, fraudsters, rabble rousers, mobhands - and I do include Fianna Fáil in that.

Text book free state revisionism. I suppose you're going to go on now about the good old IRA and how they beat the Black and Tans with pillows and songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I think its disgraceful carry on. What do these organisations think they can achieve with blatant hooliganism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Just saw this too, its a disgrace that people behave in such a way, yes they have a right to protest but to do so peacefully, throwing eggs, shouting expletives and spitting on cars is no way to behave and all involved should be ashamed of themselves.

They may have been protesting about something worthwhile but that message was lost as soon as they started to behave in such a manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I really should invest in chickens...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dsmythy wrote: »
    Morons with no concept of democracy.

a hilariously contradictory statement there - you DO KNOW that its the very democracy we have that allows people to protest ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

You do remember correctly:
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/feb2007/whizz.jpg

I remember Blogorrah.com posted the photoshopped image and took the píss at the time. Someone sent in the original soon after though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

You do realise that the photo was a photographers set-up to sell papers the following day?? or do you? just shows the naievety at which Irish people can be led.
    i attended that particular game and as a diehard GAA fan was delighted it was played in Croker. but even the genuine protesters(yes they are entitled to their opinions) just laughed at this tool. (well paid tool BTW)

I did not know that, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Personally I think that if they want to be taken seriously they should get rid of the egg throwing morons, that kinda thing just leaves you and your organisation open to ridicule, which, let's face it, you'd deserve.

Far better to get the guns out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Would have loved to see the' Leavee Irr Ouhh' Lady appearing in video to calm the situation

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I did not know that, thanks.

No problem.
    but often wondered why this was'nt cleared up and shown for what it was.
    shows the power of the media when not a single person in power was willing to challenge this and demand an explanation.

P.S. that picture was once shown on the Late Late Show, with the host having the full knowledge that it was a set-up. sickening and damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Egging a minister's car is silly, pointless and probably counter-productive from the point of view of whatever cause one is trying to advance. The damage is minor and the target gains sympathy and popularity.:rolleyes:

What intrigues me is how this is national news, but the media haven't made any mention of last night's fire-bombing of a house and car in Portarlington, surely a much more significant and worrying event. I heard about it from two different sources this afternoon.:)

The house is in the Kilnacourt Woods estate, where the first gangland killing in Laois took place less than a fortnight ago. The victim's ashes are being bpought to the town tonight and a lot of publican's have said they will close or admit regulars only.

That's the kind of thing the media and gardai should be warning us about rather than making a fuss about someone with problems who throws an egg at the car of a minister whom he rightly or wrongly blames for his woes.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"Ou, ou, ou" It's pronounced "out"

I'm not against the protesting but they did come off as rather scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So, is this going to be it? We did nothing for all the other cutbacks but it's child allowance that's going to push people over the edge?

Of course....these scumbags rely on the children's allowance each month to buy fags and booze and top up their social calendars. God love them (although probably can't stand too them like the rest of us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ScumLord wrote: »
    "Ou, ou, ou" It's pronounced "out"

I'm not against the protesting but they did come off as rather scummy.

...wait till they start flash tea-bagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Also love how the ultra-Republican, 32-county, Brits out movement are wearing Liverpool FC high viz tops.

I'm against Americas wars, I hate their foreign policy but I enjoy American films and tv shows. I'm sure many others are the same. SHould everyone who is against Guantanamo bay, the yanks hi-jinks in the middle east boycott every aspect of American culture? If they don't are they somehow gobsh!tes, hypocrites et al?

This "english soccer club jerseys" argument only makes those who make it look foolish. They don't hate British people, or culture but their foreign policy - ie the situation in the north.

I read Shatters etc hysterics earlier and you would think the car was flipped over on top of a pile of kids and then set on fire. Not a bit of shouting and some eggs.

There's a lot of class hatred in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

I think its absolutely shameful that ministers are being driven around in €120k BMW's when the rest of us have been forced to live in poverty in order to keep labours cronies in the public sector on obscene salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

There's a lot of cretin hatred in this thread.
    FYP
    Nothing to do with social class. From your username I can take it you are of the republican persuasion. Does it not irk you that pond-life like this misrepresent the concept of republicanism? It p!sses me off no end!

Il Trap wrote: »
    FYP
    Nothing to do with social class. From your username I can take it you are of the republican persuasion. Does it not irk you that pond-life like this misrepresent the concept of republicanism? It p!sses me off no end!

there are about 4 million republicans in Ireland, 2 of them throwing eggs at a car is hardly going to set the movement back

FYP
    I don't have much time for eirigi(nor they for me!), but tbf if anyone has misrepresented republicanism its the establishment parties in the south, FF, FG etc

delad wrote: »
    there are about 4 million republicans in Ireland, 2 of them throwing eggs at a car is hardly going to set the movement back
    I never said that this particular smallish gathering of skangers was the problem. I suggested the concept is very often hijacked by the likes of Éirigí, 32CSM, scummy elements in Sinn Féin etc and that is highly regrettable. They become synonymous with republican politics in Ireland, tarnishing the name. Same with 'Republican dissidents'...bullsh!t concept. They are, in the main, just criminals who are hiding behind a veneer of legitimacy.

Anyway, my earlier post was quite clear in terms of what I was insinuating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Independent Newspapers, classy until the end.

The. Greatest. Rags. Ever. I look forward to the complete overthrow of Sir Dr Anthony JF O'Reilly and his debt-ridden egotrip in Middle Abbey Street.

Tony O'Reilly: not even a lord of the English crown, never mind a marquis or duke. Still an obese, heavily-indebted knacker peasant with notions from Santry, in other words.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We do not have titles in Ireland, I presume you meant "Eamonn Gilmore"...

I never said that this particular smallish gathering of skangers was the problem. I suggested the concept is very often hijacked by the likes of Éirigí, 32CSM, scummy elements in Sinn Féin etc and that is highly regrettable. They become synonymous with republican politics in Ireland, tarnishing the name. Same with 'Republican dissidents'...bullsh!t concept. They are, in the main, just criminals who are hiding behind a veneer of legitimacy.

Anyway, my earlier post was quite clear in terms of what I was insinuating.

My point remains, any group that has millions of members is going to have a few scumbags within their ranks. Most rational intelligent people don't define a very large group by how a few of them act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Precise Pangolin

Political violence still has a place in this country, it seems. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Seanchai wrote: »

The. Greatest. Rags. Ever. I look forward to the complete overthrow of Sir Dr Anthony JF O'Reilly and his debt-ridden egotrip in Middle Abbey Street.

Tony O'Reilly: not even a lord of the English crown, never mind a marquis or duke. Still an obese, heavily-indebted knacker peasant with notions from Santry, in other words.

M'kay there big guy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seanchai wrote: »

...as hes been replaced by Denis O'Brien, expect no better in future.

Political violence still has a place in this country, it seems. :(

Yes, I can imagine having an erudite discussion on John Rawls and his Original Position with the British soccer-following individuals in that clip.

Never mind a disquisition on alternative concepts of civic republicanism and the roles of loyalty and virtue in Machiavelli's republican state and how that could apply to, say, Ó Conaill's and Ó Brádaigh's Éire Nua policy from the 1970s.

This would, of course, all be in the finest Irish where the names of the hunger strikers in 1981 are known, along with Patrick Sarsfield's password and the military tactics of Eoghan Rua in Benburb in 1646.

Only in Independent Newspapers anti-Irish agenda could the people in that clip be described as republican political activists, as if they are up there with Sands, Mac Suibhne, Ó Laoghaire and Ó Donnabháin Rossa.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...as hes been replaced by Denis O'Brien, expect no better in future.

True, but if Ireland is going to have its media controlled by tax exile agenda-driven oligarchs, I'd prefer to rotate the parasitical oligarchs in question.

40 years of the O'Reilly family oligarchy controlling the Irish media is about 30 years too many for me.

delad wrote: »
    My point remains, any group that has millions of members is going to have a few scumbags within their ranks. Most rational intelligent people don't define a very large group by how a few of them act.
    No they don't, but mainstream media labels and highlights these kinds of gurriers as 'republicans'.

I'm not disagreeing with the crux of your point, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

a hilariously contradictory statement there - you DO KNOW that its the very democracy we have that allows people to protest ?? :rolleyes:

PEACEFULLY. Rolleyes picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

There's a lot of class hatred in this thread.

These scumbags using violence as a form of political protest are not indicative of an entire social group.

Where did you pick up on the class hatred?

Scummbaggery crosses all wealth/education divides.

Advertisement