Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter and the waning moon

Options
  • 05-10-2012 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

from astronomy ireland: Tonight, Friday, October 5th, the Moon and the massive planet Jupiter will blaze spectacularly close together all night after they rise at 9:30pm. Jupiter will look like a brilliant 'star' blazing just above the Moon and very close to it.

from mt cranium: Jupiter and the waning moon (gibbous phase) rise around midnight very close together after an occultation seen from parts of the southern hemisphere earlier in the night. By the time they are visible in Ireland, Jupiter would appear to be moving away from the Moon's north pole (rising a bit ahead of the Moon) and by the time I might see it here, there would be a considerable separation already, possibly half an hour to pass the same reference point.

Visibility should be quite good tonight so cameras at the ready. It may be a little cloudier in northern coastal districts, however.

223197.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just to note, from Ireland the separation will be a lot more than depicted in that photo. 1.5º

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

That's what I love about this forum... it has a bit of everything that makes you look up.... and occasionally down..

Thanks Wolf_IRE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Cloud cover earlier was worrying but now thankfully it seems to be clearing up nicely.. just in time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice and clear and a lovely view-Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Is is visible to the naked eye or do you need the equipment?

I do see something above the Moon but that could be a satellite I see every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Jupiter. Take a photo,post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Here is a pic of Jupiter/Moon, as seen from County Clare this eve.

223280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The brilliant 'star' just 6 degrees to the left of the Moon.

Looks out the window it is to the right of the moon:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Thanks for this post, I find this really amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Lucreto wrote: »
    Is is visible to the naked eye or do you need the equipment?

I do see something above the Moon but that could be a satellite I see every evening.

Thats it visible beside the moon.
    The satellite you see every evening is either a star or a planet as satellites dont stay still.
    Download Stellarium on your computer or the app if you have a smartphone and you cant go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Images by Tim Smith
    223332.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I had a nice view of it here about eight hours later and the difference in separation was quite apparent, but then I saw a very close display last month, Jupiter was almost sitting on the north pole of the Moon.

The next bright event to look for is the Venus conjunction on the 12th, but that is timed for 19z which would mean the best views will be in the eastern hemisphere again. By the time Venus and the crescent moon rise on the 12th in your time zone (about 01z or 0200h IST) the Moon will still be a fair distance ahead of Venus, and the next night the opposite order and closer separation, although an hour later rising time for the moon. So you might want to try either night if you're interested in seeing it, that being the early mornings of Friday 12th and Saturday 13th. For me, it's going to be about the same rather large separation either time as my view would come around 09z either day.

The Moon will pass about 6 deg south of Venus in this conjunction, but with Venus being much brighter than Jupiter, it might be worth the effort to see it.

Advertisement