Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Assaults on Emergency Workers Bill 2012

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I never understood why it should apply only to emergency service workers. It should apply equally harsh to everyone. Assault is assault, on a fireman or shopkeeper or any other member of the public.

This country has a terrible problem of soft sentencing and "slaps on the wrist".

Rationale I suppose is that as a special category, it might allow legislation impose stiffer maximum sesentences as a deterrent, compared to your ordinary assault cases. Look Fo instances at capital murder. Do that you must spend at least 40 years behind bars (ignore the FDA for a second) while murders in other cases stay that long in jail?

2 years jail for an assault ( which does not have to be violent contact - basic assault that is )is hardly a slap on the wrist, is it?

A few years ago, a friend of mine punched an uif indercover Garda over an incident outside a nightclub where I think the undercover grabbed one of my other friends. My friend didn't know he was a Garda but ended up in court anyway. I hope there's an exemption for undercover because they look like citizens, especially when you're pissed drunk.

If a special category was in place for cops, then your friend would have to Have knowledge that he was a cop to come into that category. If not he would have committed an assault unless he was acted in self defence.

the_syco wrote: »
    It seems odd that they'd want to make special crimes for assault on people who shirley understand that the very nature of their job means there is a substantial risk of injury.
    Are you referring to the Gardai, or the firefighters trying to rescue people or the ambulance crew trying to save someones life?
    I would have had no problem
    but I can't post it because
    I find it odd that you claim that you would stand up for your beliefs if you think you may get away with it, but would not state your belief when you know you won't get away with it.
    barstools, all mouth.....

Advertisement