Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor decieving a hospital.

Options
  • 05-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

well basically, there is a contract cleaning company that cleans the hospital that i work in.

The cleaning company gets paid for staff members in each designated area. Instead of having a staff member in each area, the cleaning manager just gets another staff member from another area and gets him to do the extra work (for free). The company still gets paid for the other staff member that was never even there. Are they breaking the law ???

i can give you an example, there is a part in the hospital where 2 cleaners do a floor together, a few days ago this floor was done by only one cleaner, when asked why he was on his own, he was told the other cleaner had to go do another area. The cleaning company still gets paid for the 2 cleaners.

Should i report this or am i wasting my time .???

if i should report this, who do i report it to ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

If the cleaning company is charging per person-hour and not providing the people-hours then it should definitely be reported. That's straight-up fraud.

But if they're charging on the basis of (e.g.)every area being cleaned on a daily basis, then its up to them how they manage their staff once the job gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Reider41

They are charging by the hour. Every cleaner is payed 9.50 per hour, but the cleaning company charges the hospital 16 euro per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If you wanted to share or report any concerns that you may have check the hospital website & look for support services, general support services or facilities services in the a to z department index or sitemap, & look for contact details for the overall person in charge (not someone whose job title or contact details are connected with the actual contracted company itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Reider41 wrote: »
    They are charging by the hour. Every cleaner is payed 9.50 per hour, but the cleaning company charges the hospital 16 euro per hour.
    Bear in mind it's of no concern to the hospital what the individual cleaners are being paid. They are only concerned about how much they are being charged by the cleaning company.

You'll probably find that the hospital are paying for the areas to be cleaned rather than the amount of people cleaning these areas, & that it's up to the cleaning company to assign who cleans where & when.

The bit about the company being paid €16 per hour is irrelevant really - they are running the business & have agreed a price with them to provide the service. In order to provide the service they supply the staff & in turn pay the staff whatever they have agreed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1) Is the cleaning getting done?

2) Are the staff being paid for all the hours worked, and getting their legal breaks and hours between shifts and not more than 48 hours/week?

I'm guessing the answers are Yes, and No.

In which case the report is to NERA about the employment practises, not to the hospital.

NB the difference between 9.50 and 16 probably seems big to you. But it has to cover PRSI and annual leave and management costs and possibly materials and transport too. So it's not actually that unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't know why you are getting involved this.

You do not know the contract between the company and the hospital. Unless you have seen the contract?

To me it sounds like you are putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with a theory.

Advertisement