Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating myself to a Macbook Pro

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

smurfjed wrote: »
    I started off with Windows for Workgroups 3.1, Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000 and XP (which still runs on desktop on 1 netbook), I gave up when Vista arrived as it was getting too costly. So for me the change to Mac had as much to do with software as aesthetics.

I just noticed that the upgrade to Windows 8 will cost me $40, this is a big difference to the $150-300 that each upgrade used to cost.

smurfjed

Yes, Windows 8 will be made very affordable compared to the previous versions and it will be officially released by the end of the month. Maybe the OP can go for a Windows 8 laptop..

And actually, some people here might even like it.. not much techy stuff, you get an appstore and can run apps like a phone or tablet, start menu is like(is) the metro interface for Windows phones and tablet, extremely quick to boot, task manager doesn't look scary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Those praising the Mac OS, you do know that you can install it on a windows machine also?
    Therefore comparing the OS is stupid as can you can install it vica-versa .

As per the actual machine itself, its as simple as buying a diamond worth €1500 and €500. The former has better cut, clarity and color but lacks the carat. The later may be nice, big and juicy but lacks the appearance.

Although you may go for a visually appealing machine but you must remember that its performance won't be as good and at the end of the day that's what counts. No point having a Bugatti if you can't get to your destination on time(ie. burned tyres). But if you polish the €500 diamond's appearance, and buy it for €1500 then your Bugatti will make the destination on time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

doctorg wrote: »
    Those praising the Mac OS, you do know that you can install it on a windows machine also?
    Therefore comparing the OS is stupid as can you can install it vica-versa ...
    I believe what is stupid and illegal is attempting to install the Mac OS on non-Apple equipment as that might be classified as IP theft or software piracy and result in legal action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mathepac wrote: »
    Therefore comparing the OS is stupid as can you can install it vica-versa ...
    I believe what is stupid and illegal is attempting to install the Mac OS on non-Apple equipment as that might be classified as IP theft or software piracy and result in legal action.

ROFLMAO

No... You buy the Mac Os from apple and then install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

People do a lot of stupid things... regardless your beliefs. :D

As a matter of fact, Apple's EULA violates consumer rights in many countries. You can buy non-Apple hardware with Mac OS X preinstalled from PearC in Germany for example, a lot cheaper and their top of the range products outclass anything Apple has to offer. All perfectly legal... and yes, they do ship to the Republic of Ireland.

And it certainly isn't IP theft or software piracy, as you're buying a Mac OS X license.

Torqay wrote: »
    ... As a matter of fact, Apple's EULA violates consumer rights in many countries. ...
    Well then I guess it's open to Governments and consumer protection groups to initiate appropriate action to correct that situation.
    Just as a matter of interest can you name some of these "many countries" where successful challenges to Apple's (or any other software manufacturer's) EULA have been mounted? If this world-wide abuse of consumers' rights is happening surely someone, the EU maybe, has fought against it.
    ... You can buy non-Apple hardware with Mac OS X preinstalled from ...
    But as OP wants an Apple laptop with Mac OS X installed, why would you mention a desk-top assembler? Iy is of no interest based on the OP.

I also noticed that those systems are not fully Mac OS X compatible for a number of reasons. e.g. EFI upgrades from Apple cannot be applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Well then I guess it's open to Governments and consumer protection groups to initiate appropriate action to correct that situation.
    Just as a matter of interest can you name some of these "many countries" where successful challenges to Apple's (or any other software manufacturer's) EULA have been mounted? If this world-wide abuse of consumers' rights is happening surely someone, the EU maybe, has fought against it.
    But as OP wants an Apple laptop with Mac OS X installed, why would you mention a desk-top assembler? Iy is of no interest based on the OP.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/29/apple_italian_fine/

PogMoThoin wrote: »

and the connection this has with an End User Licence Agreement is ...? Give us a hint - ah go on go on go yeh will, ah go on, sure yeh will

• Advertisement

why would you mention a desk-top assembler? Iy is of no interest based on the OP.

Why would you be calling the installation of Mac OS X on a computer "stupid"? And how is your talking horsesh*t about "illegal IP theft and software piracy" when people buy a product with a license of "interest based on the OP"?

Of the top of my head, I remember companies in Italy, Romania and Russia legally selling similar products. And PearC is shipping to a lot of countries in the EU, which I'm sure they wouldn't do if their product was illegal in these countries (or else, Apple would have certainly taken legal action long time ago).

PearC is shipping to a lot of countries in the EU, which I'm sure they wouldn't do if their product was illegal in these countries (or else, Apple would have certainly taken legal action long time ago).

And sue them for a billion dollars :P

Why would you be calling the installation of Mac OS X on a computer "stupid"? And how is your talking horsesh*t about "illegal IP theft and software piracy" when people buy a product with a license of "interest based on the OP"?

Of the top of my head, I remember companies in Italy, Romania and Russia legally selling similar products. And PearC is shipping to a lot of countries in the EU, which I'm sure they wouldn't do if their product was illegal in these countries (or else, Apple would have certainly taken legal action long time ago).
    My point being that you are posting stuff about a German company selling desk-tops - why bother posting that rubbish? It has no connection with the thread whatsoever - OP wants an Apple lap-top / notebook, a simple request you seem to have trouble understanding.

And sue them for a billion dollars :P
    :confused: This helps the OP in what way?

why bother posting that rubbish? It has no connection with the thread whatsoever

And your nonsense about "stupid people" who install Mac OSX on other than Apple computers is so very connected to this this thread? Stuff it.

I only posted this example to debunk your myth of illegality. If people buy a software and license it is anything but "IP theft and software piracy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

:confused: This helps the OP in what way?
    You dragged the thread in this direction with your bizarre piracy and illegality claims :confused:

• Advertisement

Just to refresh your extremely poor memories, this post is what dragged the entire discussion off topic, your collective contributions simply compounded the problem.
    Therefore comparing the OS is stupid as can you can install it vica-versa ....
    And here is what I wrote in response
    Note the might be part. I wrote might be, do you remember now?

If you read posts accurately and concentrate on improving your memory skills, you might someday be able to make useful contributions. Until then I'll accept your overdue apologies for the posts below:
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    You dragged the thread in this direction with your bizarre piracy and illegality claims :confused:
    I only posted this example to debunk your myth of illegality. If people buy a software and license it is anything but "IP theft and software piracy".
    Ah yes, they just don't make trolls like they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I've had an €800 dell and now have a €979 macbook pro, I prefer the macbook pro,
    1. It has a 7 hour battery, and I mean 7 hours!! that with word open and browsing with screen on half brightness and backlit keyboard on. Dell had 2 hours, if you were lucky.

2. Backlit keyboard, very handy in low light situation, it also looks lovely.

3. OS is simper to use, IN MY OPINION!! I just perfer it, again IN MY OPINION, before any apple haters attack me...

4. It's very slim, the macbook air is really slim and light and really fast too.

I just prefer the macbook, I have windows 7 on it too, just for those few college programs that work better on windows.... If I was to buy a windows machine the only one I would seriously consider would be the new acer ultrabook in pcworld, lovely machine, and thats like €1179....

yer man! wrote: »
    I've had an €800 dell and now have a €979 macbook pro, I prefer the macbook pro,
    1. It has a 7 hour battery, and I mean 7 hours!! that with word open and browsing with screen on half brightness and backlit keyboard on. Dell had 2 hours, if you were lucky.

2. Backlit keyboard, very handy in low light situation, it also looks lovely.

3. OS is simper to use, IN MY OPINION!! I just perfer it, again IN MY OPINION, before any apple haters attack me...

4. It's very slim, the macbook air is really slim and light and really fast too.

I just prefer the macbook, I have windows 7 on it too, just for those few college programs that work better on windows.... If I was to buy a windows machine the only one I would seriously consider would be the new acer ultrabook in pcworld, lovely machine, and thats like €1179....

What? :confused:

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Refurb, in dec 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Refurb, in dec 2010

What MBP is it and how much would it set everyone else back?

Also whats the Dell?

• Advertisement

Refurb, in dec 2010

Hold on, you're comparing the price of a refurbished Mac to a new Dell, WTF?

Refurb, in dec 2010
    So basically you're saying a good Windows machine worth around €1200 would so the same job for you as a €1400 Macbook

Personally I'd say a €1000 Windows machine would be the same

And I actually hate Macbook's design..soo grey and blank with a half eaten apple on it

Media999 wrote: »
    What MBP is it and how much would it set everyone else back?

Also whats the Dell?

Intel core 2 duo, 2.4GHz, 250gb HD, 4gb RAM, 13.3"

It's the same as the one currently available but a different processor, USB ports, SD card dock and HD (currently they have higher capacity now)

Dell was an XPS, 13.3" too and same spec as above, crap battery, looked nice though. The Nvidia graphics card burnt out and as it is soldered, would have cost €250 to fix, feck that thing was already old at the time.

Also had an inspiron 1525 (€750 in 2008), worst laptop ever!! in one week the fan broke up, screen hinges went which ultimately ended in the screen cracking in half, the second HD (was replaced by dell) burnt out and so did the rest of the mother board....

Dell was an XPS, 13.3" too and same spec as above, crap battery, looked nice though. The Nvidia graphics card burnt out and as it is soldered, would have cost €250 to fix, feck that thing was already old at the time.

All the Nvidia gpu's of that generation burned out, it was a major flaw in the 8 series gpu's. Apple were affected by it too.

Ok people if you like windows laptops GREAT!!! I really couldn't care

If you like apple laptops GREAT!!! I really couldn't care

I prefer the apple laptops personally, that's just me, I had the money at the time, I don't regret buying it, I love it, it's nice to type on and integrates with the iPhone nicely. It has a great battery, backlit keyboard and a simple to use OS and never had a problem with a virus. Most people who have bought macbook pros and airs that I have come in contact with seem to like them also, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Jesus you mention a Mac and you have about 50 people shouting their opinion of them and telling you you made a mistake, grand if I have, whatever, I'm happy with my purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

All the Nvidia gpu's of that generation burned out, it was a major flaw in the 8 series gpu's. Apple were affected by it too.

the ould 9 minutes in the oven trick usually sorted that too...provided you were brave enough to try it:P

the ould 9 minutes in the oven trick usually sorted that too...provided you were brave enough to try it:P

Yep, for a desktop gpu, not for a laptop. It was criminal that Nvidia got away without replacing every single device, their answer was to release a driver that turned up the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yep, for a desktop gpu, not for a laptop. It was criminal that Nvidia got away without replacing every single device, their answer was to release a driver that turned up the fan

After speaking with my mate with the same GPU in his laptop, last week he popped it in the oven. Back to it's former glory now! How long that will last remains to be seen, but it did work! He put the whole motherboard in, with as much things removed as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Well I didn't really want to start a Windows vs. Apple debate.

I only really wanted to know if people thought the 13" spec was good enough or should I put an extra £200 or whatever it is towards it to get the next highest one.

People I've talked to who own Macbooks can't recommend them highly enough to me, and encourage me to get one and promise that I won't go back to anything else! Then some people tell me that it is a huge waste of money and it is overpriced. But for me, you can't put a price on a long lasting piece of equipment and I feel like you pay for good quality.

I went ahead and ordered the 13" so hopefully it will be delivered in the next day or two. Thanks to everyone who gave their advice.

But for me, you can't put a price on a long lasting piece of equipment and I feel like you pay for good quality.

1. The MBA isn't exactly a powerhouse and you cannot upgrade it.

2. Compared to more a powerful MacBook Pro the technology will be outdated much sooner. What good is a shiny case filled with components which will struggle to keep up pace with new operating systems and software in 2 years time or so. So much for "long lasting piece of equipment".

I have a very old Toshiba laptop here, 10 years if not older. A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM (this was pretty much top of the range at the time, unlike the MBA today). It is in pristine condition, even the battery holds a charge for more than an hour. A very long lasting piece of equipment indeed but it is of no practical use anymore.

Have a look at a 3 yr old MBA, it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 2 GB RAM. A second hand laptop with such low specs is hardly worth more than 100 yoyos today. Any modern web browser will struggle on such a processor when you open more than a few tabs.

If you mean future proof rather than long lasting, you should buy a laptop with an Ivy Bridge quad Core i7 processor. Nothing less will realistically last you for more than 3 yrs. And in in Apple speak, this means a current generation MacBook Pro.

• Advertisement

half eaten apple on it

Definitely what im gonna think about every time i see a Mac :D

Good luck with your MBP OP.

Pretty obvious you where buying it regardless of what was said here.

... I went ahead and ordered the 13" so hopefully it will be delivered in the next day or two. Thanks to everyone who gave their advice.
    Best of luck with it; welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

long question short.

Is it worth buying a MacBook direct from Apple in America and bringing it home to Ireland to use?

Also is there an issue with the different power voltage with the different chargers that can affect it?

long question short.

Is it worth buying a MacBook direct from Apple in America and bringing it home to Ireland to use?

Also is there an issue with the different power voltage with the different chargers that can affect it?

Am well, the laptop is completely identical other than perhaps an american keyboard layout compared to the british one here so it would work just fine. Things get a bit heated around here when buying a mac abroad is brought up, import tax, VAT and all that......

Am well, the laptop is completely identical other than perhaps an american keyboard layout compared to the british one here so it would work just fine. Things get a bit heated around here when buying a mac abroad is brought up, import tax, VAT and all that......

Thanks. The only change really with the keyboard is the @ sign isen't it?

So other than the TAX, it's ok to buy abroad and bring in?

Thanks. The only change really with the keyboard is the @ sign isen't it?

So other than the TAX, it's ok to buy abroad and bring in?

Ya more or less, other than tax, yes it's ok, the warranty is worldwide and the adapter is identical, joust have to fit an irish figure 8 lead into it and your set.

Ya more or less, other than tax, yes it's ok, the warranty is worldwide and the adapter is identical, joust have to fit an irish figure 8 lead into it and your set.

Thanks again! No, just heard that there was some issue with the chargers in Europe and the US having different power supplies internally and that the battery can affect the laptop in that way, and that it is a regular occurrence in many multinational's products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

That
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Series-9-900X3B-133andquot-Ultrabookandtrade-Black/310169/301

Up to the individual whether or not they prefer the macbook over this

• Advertisement

Aquila wrote: »
    So for the price of a macbook pro what kind of windows machine would I get?

olifant_tank1.jpg

That
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Series-9-900X3B-133andquot-Ultrabookandtrade-Black/310169/301

Up to the individual whether or not they prefer the macbook over this

PC world don't have great deals on new laptops, they do great deals on old stock. This is even better deal, more ram and a faster processor
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_Series_9_900X4D_Core_i5_Windows_7_Pro_Laptop_in_Silver__NP900X4D-A01UK/version.asp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Samsung Series 7 Chronos. It's similar to the 15" MacBook Pro and it's a beast. It should be cheaper than the 13" MacBook Pro too.

Depends on the model.

Say a basic 15.6" MBP with a Core i7 3615QM, 4 GB RAM, GT 650M (512 MB GDDR5), 500 GB 5.400 rpm HDD, 1 yr warranty costs 1.949 yoyos.

For the same money (€1.947) you'll get the Vortex III with a Core i7 3740QM, 8 GB RAM, GTX 680M (4 GB GDDR5), 512 GB SSD 3 yrs warranty. It hardly get's any more "future proof" than this, unless you spend really big bucks on a 8 MB L3 Core i7 extreme.

PC world don't have great deals on new laptops, they do great deals on old stock. This is even better deal, more ram and a faster processor
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_Series_9_900X4D_Core_i5_Windows_7_Pro_Laptop_in_Silver__NP900X4D-A01UK/version.asp

I like that....

Depends on the model.

Say a basic 15.6" MBP with a Core i7 3615QM, 4 GB RAM, GT 650M (512 MB GDDR5), 500 GB 5.400 rpm HDD, 1 yr warranty costs 1.949 yoyos.

For the same money (€1.947) you'll get the Vortex III with a Core i7 3740QM, 8 GB RAM, GTX 680M (4 GB GDDR5), 512 GB SSD 3 yrs warranty. It hardly get's any more "future proof" than this, unless you spend really big bucks on a 8 MB L3 Core i7 extreme.

Jaysus I didn't realise the MacBooks went up in price so much in two years, I bought my 13.3" when they were about €1000 with a student discount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jaysus I didn't realise the MacBooks went up in price so much in two years, I bought my 13.3" when they were about €1000 with a student discount.

The 13" MacBook Pro starts at €1299. The 15" MacBook Pro starts off at €1949.

ya it would put me off getting another one after this one....

OK, 13" MBP with a Core i5, Intel HD 4000, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1 yr warranty, sells for 1.299

The 14" UltraNote with a Core i7 3632QM, Intel HD 4000, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 3 yrs warranty costs 1.140 yoyos.

Now take your pick. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jesus christ! I never thought they were that expensive so checked it (no offence!). For the retina display everyone goes on about, the cheapest is €2,350! To get one with the better retina display it's €3000! To get the slightly better processor, 16gb ram instead of 8 and the hard drive to be 760gb instead of 512 it's €4000 :eek::eek:. FOUR FECKING GRAND!

EDIT: And it can't even play a CD or DVD!

Once you go custom youll never go back :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement