Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre rollout in Ballina, Co Mayo?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 3:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Moving to Ballina soon and wanted to know....

What are Eircom going to use in Ballna, fibre to buildings or to cabinet or a mix?

Where will the reach of the fibre products extend to?

Is the rollout on target for December? Or when are the products due?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom, when doing urban exchanges with large rural hinterlands, eg Mervue in Galway that I have seen will not have cabs on the edge of town or beyond town.

You can see how much of the Ballina exchange area will not be upgraded if you click here. Thats apart from the 'when' of course.

http://goo.gl/maps/wRJBg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sponge Bob wrote: »

For me that's only showing the boundary lines. Should it show more?

The house I'm going to rent is in a small estate on what I would always have viewed as the edge of town. But I'm crossing my fingers as there's another two estates out past it -- maybe 150 houses in the three estates plus clusters of houses near all three estates and it's near a large employer (Coke) and there's two very small business parks between the estates.

I know there's an old cabinet about 1.6km from the house I'm looking at (not sure if there's any closer), and the house is also only about 3km from the town's main exchange at the Eircom depot and offices in the town.

Any idea if they are using the MAN network in the town?

It should show boundary lines. Most of the Ballina Exchange area (shown) is rural and will not be upgraded at all.

None of eircoms VDSL or Fibre products will be offered to anybody until some time next year, they have even terminated the pilot scheme so nobody can order in those areas ( they have not withdrawn the service from those who got it in time).

Phase 2 build has not commenced in most areas yet but the local eircom guys should generally know the proposed cabinet locations. eircom will probably not use the MAN but you never know.

Got the house address and it seems like it can get the non-fibre broadband, hopefully that's a good indication that fibre will reach to the house.

Eircom told me on the phone if the fibre coverage reaches the house there'd be no extra cost switching to a fibre product.

monument wrote: »
    Eircom told me on the phone if the fibre coverage reaches the house there'd be no extra cost switching to a fibre product.

Well it will still be a copper product not a fibre product (any more than current broadband is in Ballina) . It should be much faster and it will cost you no more money per month, that much appears to be correct.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well it will still be a copper product not a fibre product (any more than current broadband is in Ballina) . It should be much faster and it will cost you no more money per month, that much appears to be correct.

Sorry I should have said "fibre" product. :)

According to their site their 'Fibre Broadband' 25Mb is cheaper than their current general offering of 24Mb.

Advertisement