Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping private forum/thread - suggestions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Seems to, only 3 members so far, sent you an invite!
    cheers hellfireclub but i could not give 100% commitment but keep it going its a brilliant idea,
    but would you lads travel to each members site.
    just trying to find out exactly how your going to run this.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I dunno, I only created the group to see if it was possible to set up what is in effect a private discussion forum! Sure throw up a post and see how it goes!

The idea of a social group can and does work. Hellfireclub has kindly proved this.

Now, I've taken a look through the other social groups that are there and most of them don't take off (numbers-wise), or if they do, it looks like they have a high burnout rate.

A lot of the social groups have not had new posts in six months or more. Like the Gary Busey fan club, where people share the unbridled awesomeness that is Gary Busey. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=245

In any case, if we were to proceed by way of social group, I think that this particular wild camping project would be more likely to hit the rocks sooner than if we went by way of a forum.

Also, see Tallon's comments in parallel thread in Survivalism & Self Sufficiency. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The idea of a social group can and does work. Hellfireclub has kindly proved this.

Now, I've taken a look through the other social groups that are there and most of them don't take off (numbers-wise), or if they do, it looks like they have a high burnout rate.

A lot of the social groups have not had new posts in six months or more. Like the Gary Busey fan club, where people share the unbridled awesomeness that is Gary Busey. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=245

In any case, if we were to proceed by way of social group, I think that this particular wild camping project would be more likely to hit the rocks sooner than if we went by way of a forum.

Also, see Tallon's comments in parallel thread in Survivalism & Self Sufficiency. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779000

Yeah it does seem to lack the functionality of the main site, as in following the discussion, thanks button, etc, etc. Private forum would be better but I can't see it happening within 6 months on this site, actually, I can't see it happening at all on this site.

but how will this work , do you invite members to wild camp at your secret place
    People will (hopefully) give out the location of decent camp spots. No invitations necessary, presumably. With any luck, you will have come and gone before anyone even sees you, so invitations shouldn't be necessary.
    do you wild camp in winter months as well
    Yup.
    i camped in tollymore pk last winter jesus i nearly died with the cold :o:D:D i only have a alpkit summer down bag big mistake :eek:
    Not fun. You'll want a winter bag and proper camping mat. If you tried this in Winter 2010/2011 or the year before, you might not be telling us about it now!
    are you lads backpackers ,i'm not cycle tourer.
    When I think of backpackers, I think of fellas travelling around the world for a year. If this answers your question, I generally park the car and hike to where I'm camping, carrying a rucksack.

Yeah it does seem to lack the functionality of the main site, as in following the discussion, thanks button, etc, etc. Private forum would be better but I can't see it happening within 6 months on this site, actually, I can't see it happening at all on this site.

Not very far off critical mass at the moment. A few more +1s and it'll get put up for discussion with the powers that be.

• Advertisement

Not very far off critical mass at the moment. A few more +1s and it'll get put up for discussion with the powers that be.

Sure look at other threads where people tried to get a new forum set up, it always turns into a petty political squabble and then it gets shut down one day out of the blue like most decent discussions on this site and that's been the set up for years because of the old crony moderators on the site who are all in a little clique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'm a newbie to this forum but I think this is a great idea.
    I went wild camping for the first time this summer and loved it. Having never camped wild before, I found it really hard to know where to go regarding laws and land and stuff.

We did find somewhere lovely in Wicklow thanks to an old post off Boards though!

Is wild camping just what I'd call normal camping? Like camping out in the wild with a tent and lighting a fire in the evening? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Is wild camping just what I'd call normal camping? Like camping out in the wild with a tent and lighting a fire in the evening? :confused:

Yeah! I had only used campsites before.

Sure look at other threads where people tried to get a new forum set up, it always turns into a petty political squabble and then it gets shut down one day out of the blue like most decent discussions on this site and that's been the set up for years because of the old crony moderators on the site who are all in a little clique.

Sure we may as well give it a go anyway. Better to have tried and failed, and all that...

Is wild camping just what I'd call normal camping? Like camping out in the wild with a tent and lighting a fire in the evening? confused.png

I reckon so.

For many people, camping means going to a serviced campsite. So 'wild camping' differentiates from that.

• Advertisement

Sure we may as well give it a go anyway. Better to have tried and failed, and all that...

I imagine this site would adopt a view something like, "well what if something went wrong on one of these camping things, someone went missing or there was a fight and someone got injured or killed and we "could" be liable or get bad publicity over it", so it would be a no on that basis, that's the kind of politics that I've found dictates the discussion in the past.
    I reckon so.

For many people, camping means going to a serviced campsite. So 'wild camping' differentiates from that.

Ah that's ok, that's what I thought it was, bring it on!

Just started a new discussion in the private group about wild camping areas in the Dublin Mountain's that are in close proximity to Dublin/Tallaght...

This is a quick message to ask anyone else who is interested to click the link in my sig and give a +1 to support the wild camping forum.

Also, thanks for the support already given.

Advertisement