Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad Grants...can i get one after doing my masters?

• 05-10-2012 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Im not sure if im in the right section (please tell me where to post if so)

Has anyone gotten a grant/back to education grant to do a hdip after completing a masters?

Im just after finishing my masters in pr and done it with a maintenance grant. My financial situation hasnt changed and i am hoping to do a hdip next september with a back to education grant. I have been looking for jobs, applying everywhere to no avail. I would happily pay for the hdip myself but I just cant get a job. The social welfare told me that i wont be entitled to a back to education grant for my hdip because i already have my masters and the hdip is not a progression to my masters.

Is there any way around this? Im starting an internship through jobbridge soon and i dont know what to do.. should i do the internship and hope i get a grant or should i stick out for a job and hopefully be able to get a credit union loan or something??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

you can't get btea for a postgraduate course, you used to be able to apply for means tested maintenance grants for full time postgraduate courses (including PhDs) but there were cuts to funding for postgraduate courses this year. You should contact Student Universal Support Ireland on 0761 087874 as they would be who you would be applying to for a grant, their helpline is open on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

sorry scratch the above, didnt realise you were talking about a HDip, there is no way you will get funding from the state to do a HDip if you already have a Masters. A masters is level 9 on the national framework of qualifications, a HDip is level 8/9 therefore it is not considered progression and won't be funded through the grant schemes.

Advertisement