Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to connect Sony TV sound to NAD HiFi ?

• 05-10-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

hi,

I recently got a new Sony KDL-55HX853 TV and I want to connect to my NAD HiFi but the only working option is a 3.5" headphones jack. Can I connect the two with regular phono cables ?

I have the NAD stereo receiver c720BEE HiFi several years and the last TV I had was a Philips 32" and I only had to plug in two phono cables on the TV to HiFi and everything worked. This option does not seem to be available on the Sony TV.

3.5mm can't be the only option to connect to a HiFi. Surely there is a major difference in sound quality with 3.5mm ?

Also, is a subwoofer worth it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi aindriu80,
    That is a very nice TV set, the specifications of your Sony KDL-55HX853 TV list that your TV has 3 separate audio outputs;
    1). Optical digital output: 1 (Bottom),
    2). Audio output: 1 (Side),
    3). Headphone output: 1 (Side).

To answer your question first, the headphones out jack (3)., which is normally 16 ohms, from the TV will only give you low poor audio connected to your Nad, it can be done, but it is far from ideal for quality audio.
    Option 1.
    Ideally the Optical Digital Output (1). from your TV would be used to provide quality audio out to an Audio Visual Receiver Amp (AVR) providing you with 5:1 or 7:1, etc, cinema surround sound. With the type of money you've invested into your visual screen, it would be worth making a starter investment into an good AVR & surround speaker system.
    Have a look here at Richer Sounds Belfast, they deliver to the 32 counties & I have found them excellent.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=24
    Option 2.
    You could also use the Optical Digital Output (1). from your TV connected into an Audio DAC which will transfer the quality sound into high quality analogue 2 channel stereo audio via phono cables to your Nad. Have a look here, http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=2&sub=159
    Option 3.
    Will really depend on what No. (2). Audio output: 1 (Side) is on your TV, because Sony do not state what the output type is, perhaps post up a photo of this output for further advice.

All the best, Pepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Pepsie wrote: »
    Hi aindriu80,
    That is a very nice TV set, the specifications of your Sony KDL-55HX853 TV list that your TV has 3 separate audio outputs;
    1). Optical digital output: 1 (Bottom),
    2). Audio output: 1 (Side),
    3). Headphone output: 1 (Side).

To answer your question first, the headphones out jack (3)., which is normally 16 ohms, from the TV will only give you low poor audio connected to your Nad, it can be done, but it is far from ideal for quality audio.
    Option 1.
    Ideally the Optical Digital Output (1). from your TV would be used to provide quality audio out to an Audio Visual Receiver Amp (AVR) providing you with 5:1 or 7:1, etc, cinema surround sound. With the type of money you've invested into your visual screen, it would be worth making a starter investment into an good AVR & surround speaker system.
    Have a look here at Richer Sounds Belfast, they deliver to the 32 counties & I have found them excellent.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=24
    Option 2.
    You could also use the Optical Digital Output (1). from your TV connected into an Audio DAC which will transfer the quality sound into high quality analogue 2 channel stereo audio via phono cables to your Nad. Have a look here, http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=2&sub=159
    Option 3.
    Will really depend on what No. (2). Audio output: 1 (Side) is on your TV, because Sony do not state what the output type is, perhaps post up a photo of this output for further advice.

All the best, Pepsie

hi Pepsie,

I got it to work via a digital to analogue converter box. It now plays all sound from PS3 Sky and TV through the stereo receiver. Its better than the 3.5mm jack but I think just stereo.

Recently I bought a NAD Subwoofer and was thinking about surround sound. Maybe the receiver I have at the moment is too old. Its a NAD Stereo Reciever C720BEE. I had to disable 7.1 Dolby (or whatever it is called) in PS3 settings to get sound in the game (but blu ray and DVD played fine).

I phoned up Peats Dublin and they said it may be too old and told me I would need two more sets of speakers (JBL es20 pair €300, JBL center es25 €199) and probably a new receiver(Yamaha 673 €599)

How can I tell if my receiver is too old for surround sound ? Do I need a new receiver ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi Aindriu,
    I know the NAD C720BEE, it's a good amp & I like the sound with NAD amps, as I have two NAD amps myself for dedicated stereo use.
    Good to hear that you got your sound working with an inexpensive digital to analogue converter box unit solution to NAD amp. Not my favourite method, because from experience I have found that those little converter boxes distort the out-put sound very poorly, but it does the job.

Re. your question, "How can I tell if my receiver is too old for surround sound ? Do I need a new receiver ?".
    The NAD C720BEE amp that you have is a 2 channel stereo amp, as in it is 2 channel use only (Right & Left channel). It will not / can not perform in 5:1 or 7:1 channel surround sound modes. Because it works in 2 channel stereo only.
    So if you want to use 5:1 or 7:1 channel surround sound modes, you do need a specific 5:1 or 7:1 channel AVR amp & speakers set.

I am not in the A/V business, but I have become a bit of an audiophile over the past numbers of years, because high quality home sound gives me the greatest of pleasure. Over the years I have tried & tested most of all the main manufacturers for amps & speakers, just my own preference here, Yamaha make nice sounding good AVR amps & to me the JBL speakers are okay. I actually own a 3 piece set of the JBL es range, now discarded to bedroom use in favour of far superior, main listening room, Monitor Audio gold & bronze range speakers.

My best advice for you starting out into 5:1 or 7:1 channel surround sound & HiFi is to set yourself a fixed budget & stick to it in year one. Buy yourself the best speakers you can afford & an excellent middle range AVR amp. Again, I would highly recommend John, Dave & Kenny at Richer Sounds Belfast for good non-pushy advice, availability of manufacturers range, warranty service & good value deals over any other retailer I have dealt with. They also have their own forum here on Boards.ie under Biz -> Talk To -> RicherSounds.ie

I wish you well Andrew with your listen pleasure & if you need any further advise, please feel free to pick my brains, perhaps PM me & I'll talk you through anything over the phone.
    All my best,
    Pepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Hi Pepsie

Thanks very much for getting back to me, your post is very helpful.

I guess I am happy enough with the current setup I have at the moment although with the digital to analogy box, the NAD 2.1 stereo receiver and the JBL speakers I was scratching my head a bit. I'm not sure if I could replace the JBL studio L Series L880 speakers. I would have the tendency to complete the existing line up with 2 JBL ES20 bookshelf and 1 JBL ES25 center speakers. This would give me 5.1, better than the Sony sound bar on the TV but nothing earth shattering.

I was checking out the http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk website with the Monitor Audio gold & bronze range speakers and they look quite classy. I think they are in a different league.

If I did move to a AV receiver I could go all HDMI and forget the Optical out,( a bit of a waste of the box I bought on amazon). But I don't know if a new AV receiver would produce the same quality of stereo sound, I got a lot of hmms and ahs about that one. Like you say the Yamaha might be a notch up for the JBL's I have or plan to get and might suit a better quality of speaker like the Monitor Audio.

Advertisement