Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people oppose leaders?

• 05-10-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Why is it that almost all leaders who have revolutionary ideas are greatly opposed by the masses initially and in many cases till after their death, and it takes a great amount of time until the people can see the light in the what the leader person has to say and they finally accept his ideas to bring the change in society?

Is it because people are generally too afraid to accept new ideas because they're scared of other people mocking them and calling them a fool for going against the norms?
    And is it that people who raise up to become great leaders are the ones who don't care about what other's may think and follow their ideas till they see it manifest into fruition.

So why is it that when someone says something or comes up with an idea that goes against the norms or differs from what is generally accepted by the media, the person is opposed and considered a lunatic while possible a few decades down the line when times have changed, people realise this person wasn't a lunatic but was speaking the truth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Cause they're sh1t leaders. Also their great ideas aren't usually that great after all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Cause they wanna arry them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Because not everyone shares the leaders vision/beliefs/ideology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ProZack

Because people have different opinions :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Thrill wrote: »
    Because not everyone shares the leaders vision/beliefs/ideology?

But that's my point.
    In the beginning there are very very few who shares the leaders visions/believes/ideologies but towards the end after society has changed, almost everyone believes the leader's visions etc.

So why are people so slow and resistant towards accepting new ideas or ones that differ from the prevailing norms of the society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People tend to like being told what they want to hear, not what they need to hear.

Any leader who can overcome this significant obstacle is destined for greatness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

eth0 wrote: »
    Cause they're sh1t leaders. Also their great ideas aren't usually that great after all

Ghandi?

(The exception to the rule?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

But that's my point.
    In the beginning there are very very few who shares the leaders visions/believes/ideologies but towards the end after society has changed, almost everyone believes the leader's visions etc.

So why are people so slow and resistant towards accepting new ideas or ones that differ from the prevailing norms of the society?

At least give some examples.

What great leaders are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I was actually looking at the tv the past few days and thinking the opposite.

They may not be figure heads but opposition leaders for example.They bark out the same shi day after day and yet people will award them with a round of applause after their speech.

People are delighted to see new people and act as if they are the "great hope", but its those very same people that will be livid once mistakes are made.

That's why I stay neutral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Biggins wrote: »
    eth0 wrote: »

Ghandi?

Yes, he wasn't listened to at all...

• Advertisement

Feathers wrote: »
    Yes, he wasn't listened to at all...

England had to listen to him eventually! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

dirtyden wrote: »
    At least give some examples.

What great leaders are you referring to?

Not just leaders but more about people who come up with ideas which are new to the society. Such as abolishing slavery, equality, abolishing racism etc.
    Anyone who would have spoke against slavery in the 1800 would have met great opposition, anyone who considered all humans should have equal rights in the early 19th century would also have had lots of opposition, similarly not few decades ago people who spoke for homosexuals getting equal rights would have been opposed by the majority of people.

Almost every great leader has been met by great opposition. I'm not talking about political party leaders here, I'm talking about revolutionary leaders such as Gandhi, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X to name a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Not just leaders but more about people who come up with ideas which are new to the society. Such as abolishing slavery, equality, abolishing racism etc.
    Anyone who would have spoke against slavery in the 1800 would have met great opposition, anyone who considered all humans should have equal rights in the early 19th century would also have had lots of opposition, similarly not few decades ago people who spoke for homosexuals getting equal rights would have been opposed by the majority of people.

Almost every great leader has been met by great opposition. I'm not talking about political party leaders here, I'm talking about revolutionary leaders such as Gandhi, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X to name a few...

The examples you give in the first part of your post are because of religion and its influence on society.
    There are words to describe people that can be led by the nose and they're not good ones. You seem to be unable to comprehend human nature. That's nothing anyone here can help you with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Almost every great leader has been met by great opposition.

Indeed, the 'greatness' comes from opposing the status quo. Without something significant to oppose, a leader can not become great.

If Ghandi had been born to and lived in a free India we may never have heard about him.

Had civil rights been in place ahead of Martin Luther King's time, his existence may have quietly passed us by.

The answer to your question is within the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ghandi?

Gandhi certainly was exceptional, but not even someone whose message is one of peace and virtuous living will be followed by everyone.

Apart from the British, with whom he only wanted to be friends on a basis of parity of esteem, he also had many Indians opposing him. One even went as far as to assassinate him.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

All the examples you mentioned invariably opposed powerful people with vested interests. For example, I don't think many slavery owners were going to listen to abolitionists like Lincoln and be 'talked around', not when the practise was so socially acceptable, to the point of it being ratified by the then main source of moral guidance, the christian church. The abolitionists were not being opposed for merely going against the grain, they were opposed for trying to upset the legitimacy of a very lucrative practice. This can be said for most opposed leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

OP can you give me an example of a leader like the one you described in your thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Gandhi, Lincoln and Martin Luther King were quite popular and their views were shared by most (excepting the brits, the southern slave owners and the KKK). Malcolm X was also pretty popular but his militant views were less main stream. I get the point you are making and I agree that there are probably some with ideas ahead of their time but I would be thinking more of great thinkers like perhaps Copernicus with ideas who were ahead of their time rather than politcal types. Political types we would never here of unless a lot of people like their ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Eamonn Gilmore got egged today but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

"Feck off and lead someone else, cheers." Tends to be my attitude and i doubt I'm alone. WTF is the story with all the people screaming, clapping and cheering some Pol as in the US Presidential Election? I'd no more clap for a politician than stand at the gate in my jocks. This truly mistifies me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

England had to listen to him eventually! :)

But he wasn't leading the English ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pottler wrote: »
    "Feck off and lead some else, cheers." Tends to be my attitude and i doubt I'm alone. WTF is the story with all the people screaming, clapping and cheering some Pol as in the US Presidential Election? I'd no more clap for a politician than stand at the gate in my jocks. This truly mistifies me.

Nail on head. Fawning fools.

Allow me to carry your fruit great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

@afthefragile (or anybody else)

Who would you say is a great leader(or someone who can make the society better) that nobody is listening to in this time? (still going on)

Feathers wrote: »
    But he wasn't leading the English ;)

Dunno, I thought he lead them on a merry dance! :D

(...But I get your point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Because most so called leaders are self serving vested intrest scum.

Advertisement