Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat is obsessed with me

• 05-10-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/ziegfeldgirl/DSC_0206-1.jpg

This is my cat, Fred! He just turned three years old.

Now what I want to describe on here is how Fred acts when he is around me.
    He is an outdoor cat as well, and is a powerful hunter. He has brought home everything from pigeons to rabbits. He loves outside.
    However when I am at home, he can't be separated from me. He will not settle unless I lift him and hug him, and if I don't do that he jumps on me anyway and clings on (and he is a fairly large cat). He rubs his face in my clothes and follows me everywhere, even if he is not sitting on my lap he is just staring at me. If he was a cartoon his eyes would be two love hearts! He reminds me of a little monkey clinging on to me with his front paws and sometimes he just licks my face, and my clothes too!

He is sort of afraid of other people. He will never sit on anyone else's lap and he usually runs and hides if we have guests over.

If he was outside in the field a fair distance away, and I shout his name, he comes running no matter if he has just gone outside or if it's time to come in.

My new job is so close to home that I come home at lunch time. He has now figured this out and is at the front door at one o'clock... I don't know how he knows the time ?! And then he is there at five when I come home.

So although I know this can be normal behaviour for cats, a lot of my friends and family say it is not and that cat's don't usually care about their owners as long as they are getting fed. So is Fred's behaviour very unusual or is this more common than people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/ziegfeldgirl/DSC_0206-1.jpg

This is my cat, Fred! He just turned three years old.

Now what I want to describe on here is how Fred acts when he is around me.
    He is an outdoor cat as well, and is a powerful hunter. He has brought home everything from pigeons to rabbits. He loves outside.
    However when I am at home, he can't be separated from me. He will not settle unless I lift him and hug him, and if I don't do that he jumps on me anyway and clings on (and he is a fairly large cat). He rubs his face in my clothes and follows me everywhere, even if he is not sitting on my lap he is just staring at me. If he was a cartoon his eyes would be two love hearts! He reminds me of a little monkey clinging on to me with his front paws and sometimes he just licks my face, and my clothes too!

He is sort of afraid of other people. He will never sit on anyone else's lap and he usually runs and hides if we have guests over.

If he was outside in the field a fair distance away, and I shout his name, he comes running no matter if he has just gone outside or if it's time to come in.

My new job is so close to home that I come home at lunch time. He has now figured this out and is at the front door at one o'clock... I don't know how he knows the time ?! And then he is there at five when I come home.

So although I know this can be normal behaviour for cats, a lot of my friends and family say it is not and that cat's don't usually care about their owners as long as they are getting fed. So is Fred's behaviour very unusual or is this more common than people think?

You have just described my cat Cream to a tee! Came home from college today and he was straight on top of me, walked past a full food bowl and everything just to knead and lick my thumb and sit on my shoulder. He would get under my skin if he could :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That sound very familiar to me...one of my Toms (DC, 2.5 years) even sleeps behind my on the pillow, his paws left and right of my neck, his head on top of mine.

Just waiting for Josef (7 months now) to copy the whole lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Well I don't let him sleep in my bed, because he just doesn't give me enough space! I tried one time, and he had to get UNDER the covers with me cuddled up as tight to me as he could, but I threw him out after an hour! lol. At night he stays in the utility room with my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Well I don't let him sleep in my bed, because he just doesn't give me enough space! I tried one time, and he had to get UNDER the covers with me cuddled up as tight to me as he could, but I threw him out after an hour! lol. At night he stays in the utility room with my dog.

If I dare to throw him out, I would be the one, sleeping in the utility room :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i have had my cat 19 years now, in the early years she was like a normal cat, but as the years have gone on she has become very affectionate like you describe. I find it all matters on how good they are looked after, like me you obviously love the cat to bits. They say 'dogs are a mans best friend', the same can be said about cats, if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Funny about the bit where he's waiting for you.
    When I was growing up, our cat was joined at the hip to my mum. My mum would go out in the morning and exactly 5mins before she would come home, the cat would either walk into the kitchen or, if already in the kitchen asleep, wake up an go over to the door an sit staring at it.
    Every day..... without fail...... 5mins.... even if the homecoming time differed by as much as an hour!
    Amazing really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

One of our cats does this with my husband. About 10 minutes before my husband comes in from work he will sit by the front door or go out and sit on the wall waiting for him to come home.

He is 5 years old and is more and more affectionate as he gets older. He hates change so he gets upset when my husband changes shifts from day to night.

Our other cat is very attached to me. He will only sit on my lap and loves to sit on my head for a few minutes in the early hours of the morning chewing my hair and purring in my ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Heroditas wrote: »
    Funny about the bit where he's waiting for you.
    When I was growing up, our cat was joined at the hip to my mum. My mum would go out in the morning and exactly 5mins before she would come home, the cat would either walk into the kitchen or, if already in the kitchen asleep, wake up an go over to the door an sit staring at it.
    Every day..... without fail...... 5mins.... even if the homecoming time differed by as much as an hour!
    Amazing really :)

I read an interesting article a few years ago which reported that dogs can recognise cars by engine noise from some distance away. I see no reason that cats shouldn't be able to share that ability, due to the sensitivity of their hearing.

It may take away the 'uncanny' aspect, but it's no less lovely because of that; her pet heard her car coming, and ran to meet her.

A similar anecdote: my dogs bark whenever someone opens our front gate, except when I do it. They can't see out the windows at the front of the house, so they can't see it's me, and 99% of the time I come from the other direction, so I wouldn't even pass the window. They can hear and recognise my footsteps coming up the road. They still bark when my OH opens the gate, so I feel very special :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think I remember reading a simillar article about dogs and engine noises. My husband walks to and from work so not sure how puss knows what time it is. Although both our cats seem to have a psychic link to me whenever I'm thinking of cooking dinner. Wherever they are in the house, I only have to think of cooking something with chicken or minced beef and I'll have one of them either side of me, waiting for their share of raw chicken or mince.

They just know, I don't even have to go to the kitchen:confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Although both our cats seem to have a psychic link to me whenever I'm thinking of cooking dinner. Wherever they are in the house, I only have to think of cooking something with chicken or minced beef and I'll have one of them either side of me, waiting for their share of raw chicken or mince.

They just know, I don't even have to go to the kitchen:confused::)

When our little darling is begging at the table, I only have to start cutting off a small slice of meat from the steak or chicken or whatever for her to land beside staring and purring frantically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Doe anyone else's cat jump into their arms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My cat waits for me to come back from work every day at the gable end of the house. Sometimes I come back early, so he's still fast asleep on a bed somewhere, but always stirs himself up to come and greet me. He waits outside my car door and miaows until I salute him properly, that is, pick him up and pet him a bit, otherwise he keeps miaowing and tripping me. Also have the dog and the stray to say hello too, it's tough to even try and get to the front door !

He's pretty independent, but same as you he will come back to me every time I call him from outside, although nowadays he doesn't run so much anymore as stroll, he'll be nine next year...
    When I go for a walk I now have 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog in tow. When they were little and I walked up with the pram, I had only Popey with me, he would come along, and follow like a dog (no lead ! I'm in the countryside). Now the 2 cats come, and the dog on a lead. My Popey is not too keen on the stray coming along, so there's a few slaps thrown here and there, but we get there and back, and we all still enjoy it.

As he gets older he gets more affectionate, and since my lap is now taken by the dog, he spreads himself like a buoy on my tummy in the evenings. He climbs on the counter tops and jumps on me to be held like a baby over my shoulder whenever I'm pottering around the kitchen. He's a large cat, probably around 7kg, so I truly understand the other posters, it's awkward, especially to empty the dishwasher ! :D

I think with cats you get back what you put in, they don't become like that if you don't treat them well, so a lot of people are still under the impression that cats are just after food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

My cat is very affectionate, but only to me my mum and sister, she doesnt like men for some reason ! Never jumps up on my dad or brother. When i come in she always miaows and miaows, so i check if she has enough food or water and see if she wants to go out, but 9 out of 10 times she just wants a cuddle,and wants me to sit down so she can ump up on my lap, also my sister moved out about a year ago and whenever she comes up to the house without fail as soon as she sits down my cats jumps straight up on her knee and purrs her head off and ignores everyone else.

kylith wrote: »
    I read an interesting article a few years ago which reported that dogs can recognise cars by engine noise from some distance away. I see no reason that cats shouldn't be able to share that ability, due to the sensitivity of their hearing.

It may take away the 'uncanny' aspect, but it's no less lovely because of that; her pet heard her car coming, and ran to meet her.

My mum rarely used her car though - she walks everywhere. :D

You're forgetting that I also mentioned footsteps. It's likely that the cat recognises your mother's footsteps, long before a human could hear them.

What I want to know is how they tell time. 1130 every night, without fail, I get reminded that it's supper time. How do they know!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cats are funny alright, 6 o clock every evening without fail they know its time to come in so ill have one screaming at the window and the other trying to break through the locked cat flap. Same thing happens when they hear my dads car pull out of the drive because they know if he is gone either me or my mother will let them in for a cuddle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

You're forgetting that I also mentioned footsteps. It's likely that the cat recognises your mother's footsteps, long before a human could hear them.

What I want to know is how they tell time. 1130 every night, without fail, I get reminded that it's supper time. How do they know!?!?

Its just the internal clock (circadian rhythm) that most living things have.

1210m5g wrote: »
    Its just the internal clock (circadian rhythm) that most living things have.
    I wish mine was as accurate. Ra knows when it's time for a walk and when it's time to eat, and gods help you if you're tardy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Their internal clock is amazingly accurate. My Popey wakes me up in the morning litterally minutes before my clock goes. He's a bit harsh when crossed, bit of a biter at times, but he's so gentle in the morning, softly "wwrriii... wrrriii..." whispers in my ear :)

I used to have a cat that was just such a dose, he used to wrinkle and shuffle plastic bags to wake us up, this was theee most awful sound to wake up to ! :mad:

Ours even adapt the very day when the clocks go forward/back.
    Now that's pretty cool!

• Advertisement
Advertisement