Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgiest places in Ireland

• 05-10-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

What is the dodgiest place in Ireland you've visited?

A couple of weeks ago I was driving in Dublin and had to make a U-turn so I turn into this alleyway and was it dodgy! The sidewalk was covered in remains of what I can presume were burnt cars, the buildings had these mesh grills covering the windows and this barb wire like fence over the walls, it just didn't feel like a happy place to spend the afternoon so I quickly turned around get out the heck out of there!

So what's the dodgiest place you guys have been to in the country??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Took the kids on a tour of leinster House. Well Dodgy. Shady deals being struck round every corner, I'd no confidence we'd get out without being mugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Your gaf....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

A couple of weeks ago I was driving in Dublin and had to make a U-turn so I turn into this alleyway and was it dodgy! The sidewalk was covered in remains of what I can presume were burnt cars, the buildings had these mesh grills covering the windows and this barb wire like fence over the walls, it just didn't feel like a happy place to spend the afternoon so I quickly turned around get out the heck out of there!

yea , that group of 10 year old look well dodgy , you are lucky you escaped with your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Any place in Ireland with a 'sidewalk' is well dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Drumcondra, loike omg.

eth0 wrote: »
    Any place in Ireland with a 'sidewalk' is well dodgy
    It's easily done, you make a few wrong turns and bang, you're in the Bronx. Sat-nav has a lot to answer for. OMG, Northside, reverse, reverse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Outside of any spar or centra or chipper after school :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Dolphin House, Dolphins Barn, south Dublin. Absolutely notorious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Let's all see who can slag Dublin the most, blah blah blah.

(thinly veiled is so last week)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shankhill (up North, in case there is another elsewhere in Ireland by similar name).
    Was stupid enough at one stage (during troubles) to walk through it at night.
    I must have been off my stupid head. Was full of youthful bravado - in truth I was probably an idiot!
    It was well dodgy - or at least felt that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yeah, that place is so rough, even the dolphins have to go round in pods.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Dodgiest place in ireland = afterhours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ghandee wrote: »

Well there's Southill in Limerick...
    http://goo.gl/maps/JjSbN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Biggins wrote: »
    Shankhill (up North, in case there is another elsewhere in Ireland by similar name).
    I must have been off my stupid head. Was full of youthful bravado - in truth I was probably an idiot!

the shankill here has some fairly rough spots too, especially shanganagh cliffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

Aladdin's cave in clonakilty (quite the tourist attraction, must see if you are ever there)

Yup - renovated a house right beside there, was there for 8 weeks working. Oh the fun. Fist fight on day 1 with a "character who dropped in to see us", my nads used to tighten as we rounded the turn to the house, I actually came to dread it as every day was grief day. But, if you come from there, I'd say it's grand, just not the place to be a builder. I also did work on student accomodation down in Limerick City, rough bit, Foreman said "floor it as you leave the site Pottler, ok". First time I wondered why, second time I floored it. As did everyone else. Hailstones comes to mind. Little shaggers were all only 10 and 11 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Dolphins barn, some council estate. Saw an old woman getting jumped. I was 10/9 and from a fairly sheltered middle class background so I pretty much shat my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

That's the one, very very rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Biggins wrote: »
    Shankill's not the worst in fairness. I used to have a regular run to Mount Vernon of the Shore Road, that was always 'interesting' in the middle of the night in a DL car :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The george pub on georges street . They all speak in a funny high pitched voice and the bingo callers are men dresseed as women . Stay away from the toilets .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Skellig Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hung around some very dodgy areas as a teenager but the only trouble i really had was in so called middle class areas with young blokes from very respectable homes who were "acting" like scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Where To wrote: »
    Shankill's not the worst in fairness. I used to have a regular run to Mount Vernon of the Shore Road, that was always 'interesting' in the middle of the night in a DL car :pac:

Im from the north myself and was gonna post the exact same thing. worked in houses in both shankill and mount vernon and would have to say I was ****ting myself in Mount Vernon. The entrance is fairly inimidating and as far as I remember there is only one way out. Worked there for a day and would never go back

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Was surprised that my area didn't fugure in the crime hotspots because it really does seem criminality is the pop culture nowadays. They must be taking it elsewhere

Far as I can see the only thing theyre sharp at is criminality, and it's in sharp contrast to how slow they are at everything else tbh. No wonder my brother fled to canada, dawned on him his friends were total plebs :/ sometimes it really dies have to dawn on us but I grew up before scangers broke; thank fook. Still, almost fell into it which would have been just criminal

A couple of weeks ago I was driving in Dublin and had to make a U-turn so I turn into this alleyway and was it dodgy! The sidewalk was covered in remains of what I can presume were burnt cars, the buildings had these mesh grills covering the windows and this barb wire like fence over the walls,it just didn't feel like a happy place to spend the afternoon so I quickly turned around get out the heck out of there!

I have to ask AF, how long does it usually take you to do a U-turn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The cliffs of Moher, defintely, if you fall off them, you're dead... that's well dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ardoyne.

cloptrop wrote: »
    The george pub on georges street . They all speak in a funny high pitched voice and the bingo callers are men dresseed as women . Stay away from the toilets .

what do you do if you need a piss. ive drank there and im straight, good pint of guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

not yet wrote: »
    Your gaf....
    your ma.

I took a wrong turn up in East Belfast onto a cul de sac whilst in a D reg car. The place may not have been dodgy but the situation was.

this was a good few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Enda Kenny's Office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Again, near Dolphin's Barn. Took a wrong turn shortly after I moved in and we found ourselves in a cul de sac. Immediately the car was surrounded by kids who pelted it with rocks, we got the hell out of there PDQ.

I've lived in the area for years now, and it's mostly grand; there's just a couple of dodgy streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

kylith wrote: »
    Again, near Dolphin's Barn. Took a wrong turn shortly after I moved in and we found ourselves in a cul de sac. Immediately the car was surrounded by kids who pelted it with rocks, we got the hell out of there PDQ.

I've lived in the area for years now, and it's mostly grand; there's just a couple of dodgy streets.

ah yeah its just every now and again someone gets stabbed.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Killinaspick, Co. Tipp...dodgy to enter if you are a member of the latino community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Lapin wrote: »
    I use the Sandy Row to go to the bus station or the Europa all the time, never had an ounce of bother on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

The Big Smoke

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Tipperary, the people there are fair odd. Like the hospital in one flew over the cuckoos nest

Any place where the pub is empty (on a Friday night) and there's only one Lone-Ranger type sitting there at the bar...

Queue a gang of yoofs waiting for you outside with a syringe full of aids, who the lone ranger conspired with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ah yeah its just every now and again someone gets stabbed.

:pac:
    There's not lakes of blood, more like the odd puddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ghandee wrote: »

Thinly veiled 'thinly veiled is getting a bit old' post.
    I agree.

kowloon wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'thinly veiled is getting a bit old' post.
    I agree.

<thinly>I love the phrase. Shame about the skobes who never use it in day-to-day life though. :/</veiled>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Myself and two other lads got lost and broke down in a South Tipp reg car on the Shankhill in the early 90"s in the middle of the night.
    We were on our way to the ferry to Scotland for work and got water in the carburetor of our Renault 5.
    We just sat there bracing ourselves for the beating of our young lives when after what seemed like forever the car suddenly decided to start again.

Then to top it off on the way home a few weeks later we broke down at a British army checkpoint. FFS.
    In fairness to the soldiers they gave us a push start after searching us and the car.
    Fairly dodgy part of Ireland at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Well there's Southill in Limerick...
    http://goo.gl/maps/JjSbN

"Castle Oaks View" - sounds so sophisticated - the irony!

What on earth went so badly wrong in this place...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

15 years ago id agree but not now, it wouldn't even come close. The drug problem is not even in the same league as it used to be.

Some places of neilstowns are pretty bad and kushlawn (sp) and fethercairn (sp) in tallaght. Not been to many other rough places to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Certain parts of Roscrea, 'the heroin capital of Tipperary' are quite bleak. The thing I found with the people involved though is that if you keep out of their way no harm will befall you. They're smart in that regard, they don't want to draw any unnecessary attention to their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Pottler wrote: »
    Yup - renovated a house right beside there, was there for 8 weeks working. Oh the fun. Fist fight on day 1 with a "character who dropped in to see us", my nads used to tighten as we rounded the turn to the house, I actually came to dread it as every day was grief day. But, if you come from there, I'd say it's grand, just not the place to be a builder. I also did work on student accomodation down in Limerick City, rough bit, Foreman said "floor it as you leave the site Pottler, ok". First time I wondered why, second time I floored it. As did everyone else. Hailstones comes to mind. Little shaggers were all only 10 and 11 as well.

I think I know where you're talking about in Limerick, is it the accomodation for Limerick Senior College and LSAD? Right beside St Mary's Park? Lovely place to be working I'd say :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement