Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgiest places in Ireland

Comments

This area in Galway is notoriously dodgy. Have had friends that used to work in the Xtravision there and they'd tell me stories of the various knackers that'd go in there to cause trouble and look for fights.

Anyone going to Ballina or Belfast will probably have passed down this street, which is where a lot of "settled" travelers lived. I've often seen horses in those tiny box gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Durrow woods

I was on my way down the country on night pulled in here as my partner needed to urinate. Sitting in my car, waiting, sorting out a cd for the rest of the way when suddenly 2 dodgy looking characters shuffled up to the car. I think they though they were going to get an eyeful of dogging :) I rolled down my window a bit an shouted to my partner and off they ran :D never stopped there again

It wasn't long after that vicious attack in Townley hall, freaked the sh1t out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Remmy wrote: »
    Drumcondra, loike omg.

Yep, sure didn't they once have a mafia there....?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

toodleytoo wrote: »
    I think I know where you're talking about in Limerick, is it the accomodation for Limerick Senior College and LSAD? Right beside St Mary's Park? Lovely place to be working I'd say :D

Which one are you talking about? I've never really heard anything bad about the LSAD student accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Myself and two other lads got lost and broke down in a South Tipp reg car on the Shankhill in the early 90"s in the middle of the night.
    We were on our way to the ferry to Scotland for work and got water in the carburetor of our Renault 5.
    We just sat there bracing ourselves for the beating of our young lives when after what seemed like forever the car suddenly decided to start again.

Then to top it off on the way home a few weeks later we broke down at a British army checkpoint. FFS.
    In fairness to the soldiers they gave us a push start after searching us and the car.
    Fairly dodgy part of Ireland at the time.

you would be surprised, its not such a bad spot if you can have a sense of humour. Once they know your not a 'foaming at the mouth' republican, they are sound folk and will do you a turn, just avoid the hot-heads and have a few joints handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Accidentally drove into the island one day, it looked like ****ing Chechnya, caravans galore, skinny dogs running around the place, washing hanging in the front yard and on the caravans,fellas outside in vests with cans and miserable lookin wimmins in their pjs, and few curly headed Childers as well. the whole lot staring at me and the place was flithy, you'd know the street cleaners don't go in there.

I decided I had had enough at that stage, reversed in the middle the road, certainly wasn't using anyone's drive! Few seconds later I was back on safe ground and could see thomand park and kings johns castle. It was mad in fairness, how quickly a wrong turn can make you feel like your in a different country. Literally.

Tipp town is a horrible, miserable hole If a place as well, full of dirty scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Myself and two other lads got lost and broke down in a South Tipp reg car on the Shankhill in the early 90"s in the middle of the night.
    We were on our way to the ferry to Scotland for work and got water in the carburetor of our Renault 5.
    We just sat there bracing ourselves for the beating of our young lives when after what seemed like forever the car suddenly decided to start again.

Then to top it off on the way home a few weeks later we broke down at a British army checkpoint. FFS.
    In fairness to the soldiers they gave us a push start after searching us and the car.

you would be surprised, its not such a bad spot if you can have a sense of humour. Once they know your not a 'foaming at the mouth' republican, they are sound folk and will do you a turn, just avoid the hot-heads and have a few joints handy
    At college I lived in a house with two lads, one from Tigers Bay and one from Ballymurphy. They got on like a house on fire at uni, then threw bricks and petrol bombs at each other in the summer, then went back to sharing a house the next year.

Moral of the story:

Belfast people are headers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Took the bus out to a job interview in a City West (west Dublin) industrial estate a few years back. The sprawling estates around there were pure Comanche country. Feral children, burnt out cars, gangs of marauding "jobseekers". This was right in the middle of the boom too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Tipp town is a horrible, miserable hole If a place as well, full of dirty scum.
    Lol is it really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Another vote for Tipp Town

The shame of the county

We'd give to Co Limerick if we could

Lapin wrote: »

Sandy Row is not dodge

I often parked my TN reg car there when I worked in Belfast, never a problem
    Went to the local pubs too, Auntie Annies is nearby

Where To wrote: »
    I use the Sandy Row to go to the bus station or the Europa all the time, never had an ounce of bother on it.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

WTF?
    I wasnt there to do stand up or give out free hash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

the shankill here has some fairly rough spots too, especially shanganagh cliffs

Teh Cliffs rough? Me arse is it rough...

Braking for the kids running out between parked cars has improved my reaction times no end. But rough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Dolphin House, Dolphins Barn, south Dublin. Absolutely notorious

Its not that bad anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

shar01 wrote: »
    Teh Cliffs rough? Me arse is it rough...

Braking for the kids running out between parked cars has improved my reaction times no end. But rough...

Some people just scare easy when they are out of their comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

WTF?
    I wasnt there to do stand up or give out free hash.
    It's a main thoroughfare. No dodgier than Dorset St or Collins Ave in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Took a wrong turn in Belfast once - damn Satnav - ended up down around the Haarland & Wolfe area. In southern reg car. On Old Firm match day.

Nothing happened. Just my southern prejudices going into overdrive.

Isn't it nice how they paint the kerbstones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

cloptrop wrote: »
    The george pub on georges street . They all speak in a funny high pitched voice and the bingo callers are men dresseed as women . Stay away from the toilets .

Bah hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Ballybeg in Waterford. An awful place, with awful people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

MJ23 wrote: »

Generalise much? Ballybeg has its share of scumbags and also has a reputation as a dive but there are more decent and nice people there than the scumbags and thats coming from someone who personally knows a lot of families there who are lovely sound folk, couldnt do enough for you and couldnt be nicer. Dont buy into all the tabloid bull**** about Ballybeg. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Hazys wrote: »
    Killinaspick, Co. Tipp...dodgy to enter if you are a member of the latino community

no tango in killinaspick then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Biggins wrote: »
    Shankhill (up North, in case there is another elsewhere in Ireland by similar name).
    Was stupid enough at one stage (during troubles) to walk through it at night.
    I must have been off my stupid head. Was full of youthful bravado - in truth I was probably an idiot!
    It was well dodgy - or at least felt that way!

Got lost up there during the Holy Cross saga... on Jubilee day... in the summer. Does it get any worse? Yes, bang bang bang, heard 3 shots a few streets away.

So glad to have gotten out of there thanks to a mother with a child in a first communion dress who my mum asked for directions.

Apart from that... walked out of the Europa bus station and took a wrong turn when sending a text wearing an Armagh top.

In Dublin, looking for a LIDL store, possibly Coolock, anyway the sat nav was sending me down some lane, I could see the store but it was the other side of a cul-de-sac so we decided to drive down the lane. It was a narrow dirt road, got to the end and realised we were in a traveller site. As we tried to turn we could see people coming to windows, looked rough as hell.

I would say that in Dublin you have a much greater chance of getting into bother but in Belfast its more serious when someone picks you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Dont be scared homies

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

Corduff in blanchardstown, broken bottles on the walls of back gardens.

Ryuji_w wrote: »

oh crap, i wont be able to sleep tonight lol

corduff aint that bad, ladyswell and hellview is worse

Got lost up there during the Holy Cross saga... on Jubilee day... in the summer. Does it get any worse? Yes, bang bang bang, heard 3 shots a few streets away.

So glad to have gotten out of there thanks to a mother with a child in a first communion dress who my mum asked for directions.

Apart from that... walked out of the Europa bus station and took a wrong turn when sending a text wearing an Armagh top.

In Dublin, looking for a LIDL store, possibly Coolock, anyway the sat nav was sending me down some lane, I could see the store but it was the other side of a cul-de-sac so we decided to drive down the lane. It was a narrow dirt road, got to the end and realised we were in a traveller site. As we tried to turn we could see people coming to windows, looked rough as hell.

I would say that in Dublin you have a much greater chance of getting into bother but in Belfast its more serious when someone picks you out.

i know the lane you took, its close to my gaff. seriously tho the travellers wouldnt have done nothing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

A few years ago I was back from living abroad and looking for an apartment. I decided I wanted to try a new area that I'd not lived in or near before. Outside my comfort zone so to speak. Saw an ad for a nice sounding gaff in an area that I knew had some dodgy spots but figured I go check it out anyway. Drove halfway across the city to the place in question. Was at the foot of some fairly notorious towers. Got out the car to some very interested stares. Knocked on the door of the gaff, heart beating a little quicker than normal. A few seconds later the ol' dear from the gaff next was out saying your one has only just popped out but should be back in about 30 minutes. You know the type, 4pm and still wearing a dressing gown and slippers. Chain smoker and super thick glasses. Some ****ty little yappy dog with no manners or obedience. She invited me into her gaff to wait but I hurried an excuse about needing to get some food and a drink but I'll come back in a while.

I never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Ryuji_w wrote: »

+1 for Corduff. The 38 bus that goes there is usually full of "interesting characters" as well.

I'd also say Marlborough St. after 8.30PM is well dodgy. I lived near there for a number of years. It's THE place to go to see scumbags fighting, addicts passed out, blatant drug dealing and probably a whole lot more... Never saw a Garda there ever... probably because they wouldn't stand a chance without a shotgun.

cjlawlor wrote: »
    +1 for Corduff. The 38 bus that goes there is usually full of "interesting characters" as well.

I'd also say Marlborough St. after 8.30PM is well dodgy. I lived near there for a number of years. It's THE place to go to see scumbags fighting, addicts passed out, blatant drug dealing and probably a whole lot more... Never saw a Garda there ever... probably because they wouldn't stand a chance without a shotgun.

hahahahaha...shotgun eh?

you need to get out more bro

• Advertisement

iamstop wrote: »
    A few years ago I was back from living abroad and looking for an apartment. I decided I wanted to try a new area that I'd not lived in or near before. Outside my comfort zone so to speak. Saw an ad for a nice sounding gaff in an area that I knew had some dodgy spots but figured I go check it out anyway. Drove halfway across the city to the place in question. Was at the foot of some fairly notorious towers. Got out the car to some very interested stares. Knocked on the door of the gaff, heart beating a little quicker than normal. A few seconds later the ol' dear from the gaff next was out saying your one has only just popped out but should be back in about 30 minutes. You know the type, 4pm and still wearing a dressing gown and slippers. Chain smoker and super thick glasses. Some ****ty little yappy dog with no manners or obedience. She invited me into her gaff to wait but I hurried an excuse about needing to get some food and a drink but I'll come back in a while.

I never did.

my eyes are ****ed after reading that

paragraphs are your friend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I never did.

where was this area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

hahahahaha...shotgun eh?

you need to get out more bro[/Quote]

I thought my sarcasm was fairly obvious but clearly it wasn't... as for getting out more - it's scary going outside sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

where was this area?

Coronation Street ?

mattjack wrote: »
    Coronation Street ?

it was walford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

MJ23 wrote: »

Have been there many's the time,there are some real salt of the earth people living there who'd give you the shirt off their back . It's not an ideal set up sure, but I'd hazard there's just the minority problems again.
    John Carew Park in Limerick was one place I'd get in and out of fierce fast if ever I had reason to be there,along with St. Mary's (the one in Newcastle West too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I never did.

Was that Cougar Town?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Biggins wrote: »
    Shankhill (up North, in case there is another elsewhere in Ireland by similar name).
    Was stupid enough at one stage (during troubles) to walk through it at night.

A regular Jean Claude Van Damme here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Corduff looked rough but Ladyswell was where the scumbags were in my experience. I got locked out one day in Castlecurragh and spent 5 hours breaking into my own house and no one said a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Raekwon wrote: »

I wonder if the Rubberbandits have the balls to go there and shout "THAT'S LIMERICK CIT-AYYYY!"

I wonder if the Rubberbandits have the balls to go there and shout "THAT'S LIMERICK CIT-AYYYY!"

limerick is full of wannabees...half the so called hard men are dead or locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roger!

All in all nowhere compares to Detroit what a shambles that place is. All these place's mentioned have noting on Rock city!
    Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

Even the some police wont rock in that city no more.
    "Iorio says the once 2,000 strong force is shrinking rapidly; since the start of summer, hundreds of officers have left the department"

Dublin need's to get her act together if she want's to be classed as #1 dodgy city.

This area in Galway is notoriously dodgy. Have had friends that used to work in the Xtravision there and they'd tell me stories of the various knackers that'd go in there to cause trouble and look for fights.

Ah Ballybane/Castlepark/Ballybrit aren't so bad
    I walked Castlepark every night from GMIT to Ballybrit, never a bother.

It was worse when Hillside was pretty much a dump but the travelers are settled now.
    Lovely new houses with bays for caravans
    Grand for them they can dictate what kind of houses they want!! Our entitlements boss
    Anyone else on the corpo list would wait years for a flat

The worse you'd get outside the shops was kids messing in Xtravision and lads hassling you to buy drink.
    You get that in any town in Ireland

You're right though, the boyos were constantly tormenting the Xtravision staff

The snooker hall was to be avoided though!

Students get a bad rep for messing and annoying neighbours but realy the troublemakers in that area were the local Galwegians

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah Ballybane/Castlepark/Ballybrit aren't so bad
    I walked Castlepark every night from GMIT to Ballybrit, never a bother.

It was worse when Hillside was pretty much a dump but the travelers are settled now.
    Lovely new houses with bays for caravans, good for them.
    Grand for them they can dictate what kind of houses they want!!

The worse you'd get outside the shops was kids messing in Xtravision and lads hassling you to buy drink.
    You get that in any town in Ireland

The snooker hall was to be avoided though!

Students get a bad rep for messing and annoying neighbours but realy the troublemakers in that area were the local Galwegians

galway rough??

haha,gtfo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Kipp Town

• Advertisement

jimpump wrote: »
    galway rough??

haha,gtfo!

If you read my post you'd see I downgraded the issues from the post I quoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Southill & Moyross in Limerick,had the pleasure of working in both places.Moyross is a dump,had houses set on fire by tenants & our truck damaged by a drunken loon over the space of 2 days.

John Sweeney park in Carlow can be interesting,never got any hassle there myself.The estates around the corner from it,Burrin Manor & The Laurels are getting a bad name.Houses firebombed & fueding families turned an estate that was supposed to be a nice place to live into a dumping ground for problem tenants.

Ballybeg was mentioned earlier,it doesn't live up to it's name & was way worse years ago but is grand now.It just kept the bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

I never did.

Sounds like the plot of a Beatles song. Read whilst humming Norwegian Wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Has to be Southill in Limerick.

As Des Bishop once put it, Southill is a dangerous area in a dangerous area.

You leave Ballymun, you're in Santry. You leave Knocknaheeney, you're in Sundays Well.

You get out of Southill...you're still in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Escape from Kilbarrack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement